RS-1? MS Pro? W5000? (Need a compliment/replacement to the HD650)
Jul 10, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #17 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been reading up on the w5000 and it seems to have the sound signature I'm looking for. However, it seems the can is also finicky about its amp, so I'm not sure if the Extreme will have a "good" synergy with the w5000. Does anyone on head-fi have experience with the w5000 driven by the SP Extreme?

Malos - How much would a headphile k340 cost?

It is going to be cheaper than any of the above, but you would need a k340 first. The necessary upgrades themselves can run 100-200, depending on what your order, and a k340 can be had between 200 and 400 dollars depending on the condition and whats been done to it. I am thinking about getting one myself right now, debating between it and Edition 9.

I gotta admit though, from some experience I recently had, k340 is vastly superior to alot of headphones when properly used. My main grudge with it is the lack of comfort of the headband, but that is easy to mod.

Jul 10, 2007 at 9:06 PM Post #18 of 51
I came from the AT-W5000 to the Ultrasone Edition 9 camps. You may want to check these out if you can find one at the Northern Light and Sound price.

If you want to read my comparison of these two goto the great Ultrasone thread and read page 177.

I still have my AT-HA5000 amp.

Jul 10, 2007 at 9:08 PM Post #19 of 51
Quote:

The w5000 really has my interest but the problem with users not being able to obtain a "seal" is bothersome.

I've heard that quite a few users have had good luck with bending the wires. I personally am pretty hesitant to do so but I've heard the wires are really strong and can bend back to shape easily and conclusively.

Jul 10, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #20 of 51
Headband can certainly be "coaxed" into shape....I find it the most useful to go from the W5000's \ / shape to a more suitable | | shape (more so than flipping the earpads around
wink.gif
)

Jul 10, 2007 at 11:06 PM Post #22 of 51
Quote:

The w5000 really has my interest but the problem with users not being able to obtain a "seal" is bothersome.

I did not have any problems with the fit, I think having a big head paid this time
icon10.gif

I listened to all current production wood Grados, RS1s, RS2s and GS1000s. The result is: I think I am not a Grado guy. The only Grado which could pull me in the music that I am listening to was the HP1000s. PS1s did not impress me at all compared to those. W5000s are very good, I think they are better than the Grados, I felt like they need some tubing in the signal chain. I am considering purchasing W5000s in the future to compliment my HD650s. So, I am in the same boat, but have no funds right now
frown.gif

Having said all that, I think it would be better, if you had the chance of listening to all the cans you are thinking of buying. After doing that for myself, I realized the only Grado I might want will be HP1000s and W5000s will be best for me as of now (I wish I also had the chance of auditing Edition 9s). But every person is different, so I wish you best luck with your next purchase...

EDIT: By the way, audio technicas are much more comfortable than the grados, they surely win in the comfort department, hands down... Somehow grados were able to generate too much heat for me while wearing them... If you have a big head like me and you like comfortable cans, then I can recommend W5000s without further thoughts. But if it is possible, do not sell your hd650s, I think they have a very different sound signature than W5000s.

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #24 of 51
Yeah that's a fact. Grados are terribly uncomfortable especially over time. Even the giganticly padded GS1000s are not what I'd call comfortable.

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:27 AM Post #25 of 51
That's one thing I'm worried about. Comfort is an absolute must as I keep my headphone on for hours at a time.

At this point, I don't think I'll purchase any of these cans until I can audition them. The hard part is finding a time/place to listen to all these cans.

Jul 11, 2007 at 12:32 AM Post #26 of 51
Quote:

That's one thing I'm worried about. Comfort is an absolute must as I keep my headphone on for hours at a time.

At this point, I don't think I'll purchase any of these cans until I can audition them. The hard part is finding a time/place to listen to all these cans.

Take a Saturday, contact some NYC head-fiers ahead of time, and make a short road trip. It will be very educational =]

Jul 11, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #28 of 51
Quote:

Quote:

I would if I had a license
wink.gif

Oh, you are like me =]. Then I think we are even on the same page...

Well, lets put it this way to simplify things for you, since I've been at a int-l meet, and had a chance to hear alot of headphones. Grado RS-1 will make probably the best sound compliment to hd650, since its pretty much the opposite of how hd650 sounds. The Grados are light, and can be comfortable, the main issue is the pads used with them. Nevertheless, when I wore GS-1000 (with its huge bowls) and SR-225 with headphile c-pads, I had no issue with comfort. I even considered getting fully headphiled sr-225 for a while, but with 1 headphone for all mentality it does poorly for me. If you are feeling experimental - grab an RS-1, get c-pads for it (Larry at headphile sells them separately for self-installation, its pretty easy), and enjoy. RS-1 has a fairly high resell value, especially if you agree to ship it to Europe over e-bay. If you don't feel very experimental, you can do the same thing with SR-225. I would not be surprised if after such an experiment, either one, your costs will be recouped in full by the European folk, who can't buy Grados for decent price without importing from USA.

Jul 11, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #29 of 51
My friend from Goodcans.com sent this to me when i asked if he could order up a set of Alessandro MS1's for me. and if what he says is true, you should probably end up getting an RS-1 over the Alessandros. his store sells mostly Grado headphones and the RA-1.

[size=x-small]"Hi Chris,

Thanks for your support. The Alessandro are modified Grado's not really
available to other retailers. Alessandro is a company aiming at
musicians and they are modifying the Grado's a little more to the needs
of musicians, (Grado's color the music some and musicians or mixing
engineers prefer a little less embellishment). I spoke with John Grado
on the subject about 5 years ago and he stated that he felt the MS1 more
closely resembled the SR80 in sound than the SR125 so he didn't feel the
MS1 was a threat to the Grado line and pricing.

FYI, though the Grado SR125's and SR225's are very good headphones,
personally I feel they are only marginally better than than the SR80's.
If someone already has a Grado SR60 or SR80 and is looking to upgrade,
usually recommend saving up for awhile and jumping all the way up to the
SR325i.

Regards,

Bill K
Listening Station, Boise, Idaho"[/size]

Jul 11, 2007 at 4:16 PM Post #30 of 51
I have both the HD650 and the RS-1, and I find that they complement each other beautifully. However, I haven't heard any of the other highly regarded cans that have been mentioned in this thread and elsewhere (e.g., W5000, etc.). I first had the RS-1's, and then bought the HD650's to complement them. Like the OP, I also have a SP Extreme (Platinum), which is wonderfully flexible and can be tubed to synergize oh so well with both of these very different cans. The RS-1's need lots of current to show their full potential, and the 6080 output tubes have power in droves, and (if your Extreme has been modded to handle them safely), the 6528's are phenomenally powerful. The HD650 is the polar opposite--doesn't require as much current, but needs lots of voltage gain, which 5998's or 2399's seem to excel at. As for gain tubes, there are so many to choose from with all the adapters that Mikhail offers. My current fav is the TS 2C51, which is very versatile and matches well IMO with both the Grados and the Senn's (can't say that about many tubes). Either way, the point is that, with a properly tubed Extreme, you can really make the RS-1's and the 650's sing.

The RS-1's really like tubes in the signal path IMO. I find that, with the right tubes, their slight "edge" gets ever-so-slightly mellowed, and they deliver an absolutely delightful, authentic, believable, warm, engaging sound. The RS-1's are not a "draw you in" kind of can (like the HD650's are) IMO; instead, it just puts it right there in your face and offers no apologies, nor does it need to. You either love it or you don't. But it's oh-so-easy to love with the right amp (one that has the right tubes in it IMO).

I love being able to go back and forth between the RS-1's and HD650's. They have the ability to project completely different presentations, yet both be completely enjoyable and fulfilling. It just depends on what kind of mood I'm in, I guess, when I decide which ones to reach for.

Only problem with the RS-1's IMO is that they get terribly uncomfortable after a couple hours use. The HD650's, on the other hand, I can listen to for hours on end with no discomfort whatsoever.

Good luck with your decision. Oh, I echo what a few others have said: don't sell your 650's no matter what you do.

Barry

Users who are viewing this thread

Back