RS-1? MS Pro? W5000? (Need a compliment/replacement to the HD650)
Jul 10, 2007 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 51

Mher6

500+ Head-Fier
I've decided its time for me to purchase a new can. I'll be honest here; I've never heard any headphones outside of the few I've owned (HD650 and 595 are the only ones worth mentioning). Given my current lifestyle, I am not able to attend head-fi meets so it is very hard for me to audition new gear.

I've become bored with the HD650s, listening to them exclusively for about two years now. Ideally, I'd like to completely replace the senns and find "my" headphone. Of course I'm also open to the idea of owning two headphones at once and for different genres of music.

I've taken a look at the RS-1, MS Pro and W5000 to name a few, but being unable to audition these phones makes it a difficult decision. I'm looking for a brighter can that brings out the drums/cymbals, but has a lush midrange and accurate/extended bass. I'd like to keep the price below $1000 (these headphones would be used on my current home setup listed in my signature).

Below is a list of some artists I listen to in order to help you choose a can that would suit my musical taste:

The Allman Brothers Band
Barenaked Ladies
Dream Theater
Kansas
John Mayer
Liquid Tension Experiment
Rush
Transatlantic
John Coltrane

just to list a few...

Jul 10, 2007 at 11:50 AM Post #3 of 51
I can't say much for MS-Pro.
RS-1 in general will bring out the percussion to be nice and crisp, and will do the same to the guitars like an hd650 could never, but I am not personally sure how good the bass on RS-1 is.
W5000 also offers a very crisp sound, with great attention to instruments, a bit more laid back than RS-1, but unlike the RS-1, the W5000 will deliver a very nice soundstage, and bass that goes low. The main issue with W5000 is that the bass is not very powerful, so you will need to match it with the right amp for the bass to come out.

Jul 10, 2007 at 1:06 PM Post #4 of 51
I've owned both the RS-1 and the MS Pro, but I've never listened to the ATH-W5000. Like you, I own the HD 650, got bored with its sound, and wanted a more exciting headphone.

I bought the RS-1 first and loved it immediately. Compared to the HD 650 it did sound exciting. Over time I came to dislike the RS-1, though, because it had too much treble. The treble wasn't harsh or tiring, just unbalanced, too much in amount. It made my music sound funny, and I couldn't ignore it.

So I sold the RS-1 and bought an MS Pro.

The MS Pro sounds very similar to the RS-1. The MS Pro still sounds exciting, but it produces slightly but noticeably less treble. The difference is small but noticeable, enough that my music didn't sound funny. In the end, though, I sold the MS Pro, too, because it didn't produce enough bass. (The same was true of the RS-1.)

Since you already own the HD 650, you might try a couple tricks before you buy another headphone. First, try removing the foam over the transducers. Just pop out the ear pads, and the foam will fall out. You can replace it any time you wish; the process is 100% reversible. No foam yields more treble, which the HD 650 needs, I think. I also use a Revelation Audio Labs cable. It's a silver cable. It leans up the bass and fills out the treble a little, which makes my HD 650 sound much more like my loudspeakers, whose balance I quite like.

The HD 650 plays classical music beautifully, and I've never heard a better headphone for that. The MS Pro did very well with music that doesn't rely so heavily on bass reproduction. Folk-style music, Celtic, country-Western, and even older rock based more on electric guitars than drums sounded fantastic. I rather miss the MS Pro and wish I hadn't sold it.

Good luck!

EDIT: Two more things. The RS-1 and MS Pro are really beautiful headphones. Also, I got used to the fit and feel of the RS-1 and MS Pro, but it takes a week or two of regular use. They sit on the ears rather than around them, and extended use can be uncomfortable at first. Rest assured, however, that one gets used to it and the discomfort disappears.

EDIT: Oh, sorry, one more thing. I've never heard any headphone handle acoustic guitar as beautifully as the MS Pro.

Jul 10, 2007 at 1:14 PM Post #5 of 51
I see that you have Extreme, so maybe GS1000 will fit the bill. With MS PRO you will miss a lot of fun, IMO. They are pretty neutral and sound kind of empty, if you compare them with GS1k
RS1 are one of those which can be recommend by almost anyone up here. Safe purchase, if I can say so. And I think they will do pretty good as well, but I would look at GS1 first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've decided its time for me to purchase a new can. I'll be honest here; I've never heard any headphones outside of the few I've owned (HD650 and 595 are the only ones worth mentioning). Given my current lifestyle, I am not able to attend head-fi meets so it is very hard for me to audition new gear.

I've become bored with the HD650s, listening to them exclusively for about two years now. Ideally, I'd like to completely replace the senns and find "my" headphone. Of course I'm also open to the idea of owning two headphones at once and for different genres of music.

I've taken a look at the RS-1, MS Pro and W5000 to name a few, but being unable to audition these phones makes it a difficult decision. I'm looking for a brighter can that brings out the drums/cymbals, but has a lush midrange and accurate/extended bass. I'd like to keep the price below $1000 (these headphones would be used on my current home setup listed in my signature).

Below is a list of some artists I listen to in order to help you choose a can that would suit my musical taste:

The Allman Brothers Band
Barenaked Ladies
Dream Theater
Kansas
John Mayer
Liquid Tension Experiment
Rush
Transatlantic
John Coltrane

just to list a few...

Jul 10, 2007 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 51
I found RS2 much better.

p.s. You can try the RS2 as well, great phones

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balisarda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: Oh, sorry, one more thing. I've never heard any headphone handle acoustic guitar as beautifully as the MS Pro.

Jul 10, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #7 of 51
Acoustic guitar belongs to k340 and R-10 honestly, and w5000 does not slouch either. I have not heard MS-Pro, but prefer those two to Grado's by a long shot.

Actually for that matter, to the OP, if you dare, try to get a k340 and headphile it, it is one of the most capable headphones around.

Jul 10, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #8 of 51
I would suggest W5000. it's more brilliant than the Senn. anyway, these 3 headphones are better than HD650 ,without doubt
600smile.gif

Jul 10, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 51
I would recommend a RS1. The bass is of great quality, although it does not extend very much. Take into account that there is not an only flavor of RS1s (you could call a RS1 with stock bowls bright, but with flats is far from it). The use of different pads affects a lot the resulting sound. Taped bowls may be of your liking. Decent soundstage, detailed sound, kicking drums with strong bass... Cymbals are beautiful and the midrange one of the best. You can even adjust the width of the tape to obtain more or less bass with bowls.

Jul 10, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #10 of 51
I've been reading up on the w5000 and it seems to have the sound signature I'm looking for. However, it seems the can is also finicky about its amp, so I'm not sure if the Extreme will have a "good" synergy with the w5000. Does anyone on head-fi have experience with the w5000 driven by the SP Extreme?

Malos - How much would a headphile k340 cost?

Jul 10, 2007 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 51
+1 for the RS1... magical synnergy with Mikhails amps and your fave bands. Note however, that if you have tube rolled your amp for HS650 synnergy, the RS1 may behave unfavorably in that setup. IMHO it can be shouty and edgy with the wrong source/amp.

I would love to recommend the W5000... but I really can not recommend it without you auditioning it first. I for one could not get it to fit my head-shape, and obtain a uniform seal/fit around my ears. The earcups would not pivot enough to seal off the part below my ear, near my bottom jaw. I went into headfest weekend wanting to demo it. Unfortunately I walked away a little bummed out that my head is such an awkward shape.
confused.gif
If memory serves me right, IronDreamer told me about 30% of the people who demo his rig, have the same problem as I.

IMHO, at the very least you should purchase it from a retailer with an exchange program.

Jul 10, 2007 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 51
you're in Rochester NY, and cant demo a grado... somethings wrong with that
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
. NY is one of the head-fi hot spots.

Jul 10, 2007 at 4:33 PM Post #13 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you're in Rochester NY, and cant demo a grado... somethings wrong with that
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
. NY is one of the head-fi hot spots.

I don't live in rochester, just near it. Going to rochester is pretty inconvenient for me usually.

Jul 10, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #14 of 51
I would hardly say that these three headphones are "superior to the HD650."

RS-1 definitely provides a big contrast from the HD650 but yeah I think its had its flaws already pointed out.

The w5000 is finnicky about amp, but given that you have an Extreme which is SUPER flexible I don't think you need to worry. If you don't have tubes that suit the w5000 call up Mikhail and have him send you out some and some adapters. I am auditioning some of his tubes right now with his SDS and previous to receiving them (Only took ~7-10 days from initial contact to receive them and he didn't charge me anything up front) I was convinced that no tube could make my Qualias sound good with the SDS given how poorly they were sounding before, but then it turns out everything he sent sounds good to great. Yup flexibility. I wouldn't worry about amping any of three headphones no matter what you go with.

Jul 10, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #15 of 51
I'm in the same boat - have been for a long time now (looking for a partner to the HD650). I had the W5000 before but sold it. My system changed quite a lot since though and I have just received a pair of W5000s for re-evaluation.

Ultimately though I think I will resign to the fact that the only logical partner was the HE60 driven by a good amp (such as the SRM-717)
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back