RS-1 Appreciation Thread starts here!!!!
Jan 31, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #676 of 721
I finally received my RS1 but I must say they are totally uncomfortable my ear tip cartilage just sits on the grid and right from minute ONE it hurts the hell out of my ear.

Is there anything to make the rs1 more comfortable ?

As for the sound it is better than my MS1 but not that better, there was a little improvement.

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #677 of 721
Wash your pads. They will soften up some. Still you have to deal with the nature of the beast. Sensitive ears need over vs on ear pads.

Jan 31, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #678 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wash your pads. They will soften up some. Still you have to deal with the nature of the beast. Sensitive ears need over vs on ear pads.

The pads are more than soft and burned out as they are pretty old, the problem is the my ear cartilage touching the grid not the pads.
Didn't get your last sentence.

Jan 31, 2010 at 11:48 PM Post #681 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
isn't suppose to ?

Nope. Get new pads, then wash them. If the new pads irritate, it should only take a few days, maybe a week, to toughen up against them, but the grill/baffle shouldn't touch the cartilage.

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #682 of 721
Is there any consensus here on how much better, if any, the new RS-1i is?

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:41 AM Post #683 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoTrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To my ears, there was not much of a difference...from what I remember (over a six months now), I preferred the RS1s over the RS1i's.

Feb 1, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #684 of 721
I just got myself a pair of RS1i's they are being fed through my swing am I going to see any meaningful benefit in getting amp more suited to grados? As atm I am feeling rather underwhelmed by these RS1i's when compared to my Pro900's.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #685 of 721
My 2 cents.

Bought a pair of RS1i from a fellow head-fier.
Have been playing with them for 2 days.
So far so good.
First of all they look very special. I quite like the design on an aesthetics point of view.
I had to try a few things to get them to fit on my ears comfortably though. Initially my ears were hurting pretty bad after just a couple of songs. Anyway I tweaked the headband a little and now i can wear them for longer.

The sound. I can hear the magic of grados through this. Very lively and exciting flavour of sound. Very much in your face compared to the laidback sound signature of my HD650.
Things that stand out for me is vocals, drums, kickdrums, cymbals, sax and ofcourse guitars of all kinds.
I am quite surprised with the energetic bass. Wasn't expecting that but my HD650 does go deeper.

However I do find my HD650 to be better for longer listening sessions. The wider soundstage and higher detail. It also admittedly works better with more types of music.

I did notice an improvement listening to it through my Shanling PH100 compared to from my cowon pmp. Seems to add weight to the music.

I am pondering now if I should keep the RS1i. I certainly like the idea of having a grado as they tend to be hard to come by here down under. I don't really have anything against it except maybe the comfort issue. The sound signature comes across as quite unique aswell.

If I do keep them, I will then have to decide to reterminate them to balanced input. I haven't found much info about improvements to these cans by going balanced.

Feb 1, 2010 at 10:06 AM Post #686 of 721
Ah thanks for your impressions. I am set on the HF-2. I have got a great deal and am just waiting for my iPod to sell on ebay aus then I can pay
smile.gif
. The RS-1 and HF-2 both get glowing reviews, with very few saying they disliked either of them. Was a very, very tough decision but I have made my decision. Hope to own some sort of RS-1 one day, whether it be RS-1 classic or RS-1i.

Feb 1, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #687 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I finally received my RS1 but I must say they are totally uncomfortable my ear tip cartilage just sits on the grid and right from minute ONE it hurts the hell out of my ear.

Is there anything to make the rs1 more comfortable ?

You can reverse the pads, so that your ears sit entirely on them (circumaural), and not in them. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #688 of 721
I'm impressed after a solid 8 hours burn in these RS1i's have gone from underwhelming to being a joy to listen to and now I'm actually feeling some love for these phones. Anywho what kind of amp should I be looking at to do these phones justice?

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:20 PM Post #689 of 721
You hear nice things about pairing them with a nice hybrid, or transformer-coupled tube amp. It seems that people really like them with some form of tube setup. More experienced members will be able to tell you the most successful pairings, but I am currently using a LD I+ - a really great budget amp. I have a Woo6 on the way, and people say really good things about the rs1 -> MAD ear + pairing.

Feb 1, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #690 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoTrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For me there was quite a big improvement. Treble is tamer and more refined, there is noticeabley less midrange coloration and the bass is tighter and more extended. I still prefer flat pads with them, but of the four pairs I have owned over the years, the RS-1i's are the first I can tolerate with bowl pads. They are currently my favorite phones again and this is after 6 months with the Denon D7000's, three months with the Senn HD800's and a month with the Grado PS-1000's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back