RS-1 Appreciation Thread starts here!!!!
Jan 12, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #646 of 721
I have just purchased an RS-1 now the anxiety begins !

I need to buy him new pads so I ask you what the different signatures from each one

Flats
Bowls
Jumbo

And I'm going to spend the most of the budget ~550$ on a Millet hybrid Minimax Amp and y1 Dac.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:25 AM Post #647 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoogieWoogie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I need to buy him new pads so I ask you what the different signatures from each one

Flats - Stronger bass that competes with HP-1000 and flats, more forward mids with tamer highs that are not as crips as HP-1000, sometimes too dull with some music. Opens back up with a nicer cable like APS V3 to sound closer to the HP-1000.

Bowls - Less bass but still enough most of the time, bigger deeper soundstage, mids sound a little thinner and more distant, Highs pick up a nice sparkle. Not as rich in the mids or as bassy as the HF-2 with bowls.

Jumbo - I didn't like - too thin sounding with sucked out mids and etched highs.

And I'm going to spend the most of the budget ~550$ on a Millet hybrid Minimax Amp and y1 Dac.

You should have a nice rig when it is complete.

Jan 12, 2010 at 2:58 AM Post #648 of 721
Quote:

Flats
Bowls
Jumbo

Are you getting RS-1's or RS1-1i's? With RS-1's I did not care for jumbos for the same reasons that HeadphoneAddict stated but with RS-1i's they are magical. The treble is extended and airy but still smooth and the midrange is upfront and natural. The bass is less upfront than bowls or flats but very tight and rhythmic. I don't sense any lack of bass energy in the overall balance. To me they have many of the good qualities of GS1000's without the wooly bass, distant midrange and sibilance. The best approach is to try them all because the differences are huge and much more noticeable than the differences between good amps.

Jan 12, 2010 at 3:52 AM Post #649 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by sling5s /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Grado RS1 is really drastically different. The soundstage is so different because you're on the stage rather than in the mid row. Therefore everything is in for your face (ears)- immediate and intense.

I've never really trusted this metaphor. Unless you are a musician, how could anyone know what it sounds like to be on stage? And even if you are a musician, you'd know that things are jumbled and imbalanced on stage, but for, hopefully, a monitor or two to let you at least hear your own instrument clearly. Being in the mid-row is obviously a fine descriptor, as it is actually possible to be there.

No offense sling5s - I've used the "on stage" analogy many times before - but it makes you think...

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #650 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by sampson_smith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never really trusted this metaphor. Unless you are a musician, how could anyone know what it sounds like to be on stage? And even if you were a musician, you'd know that things are jumbled and imbalanced on stage, but for, hopefully, a monitor or two to let you at least hear your own instrument clearly. Being in the mid-row is obviously a fine descriptor, as it is actually possible to be there.

No offense sling5s - I've used the "on stage" analogy many times before - but it makes you think...

no offense. it's a borrowed metaphor because I and I'm sure many find no other way to describe the feeling where there is an immediacy where there's a lack of distance and soundstage.

Jan 12, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #651 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by donlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you getting RS-1's or RS1-1i's? With RS-1's I did not care for jumbos for the same reasons that HeadphoneAddict stated but with RS-1i's they are magical. The treble is extended and airy but still smooth and the midrange is upfront and natural. The bass is less upfront than bowls or flats but very tight and rhythmic. I don't sense any lack of bass energy in the overall balance. To me they have many of the good qualities of GS1000's without the wooly bass, distant midrange and sibilance. The best approach is to try them all because the differences are huge and much more noticeable than the differences between good amps.

Its the old one, I guess I will buy the bowls and the flat which one is L-Cushion and S-Cushion ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You should have a nice rig when it is complete.

I hope so
tongue.gif
I only have some doubts regarding the DAC , since the uDAC and gamma y1 lite is at the same price I'm not sure which one would go best with the RS-1
confused.gif

Jan 12, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #652 of 721
Quote:

Its the old one, I guess I will buy the bowls and the flat which one is L-Cushion and S-Cushion ?

Most likely it will come with bowls so you won't need to buy those. The flats are only available from Todd The Vinyl Junkie and they are simply called flat pads.

Jan 12, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #653 of 721
Quote:

]
I hope so
tongue.gif
I only have some doubts regarding the DAC , since the uDAC and gamma y1 lite is at the same price I'm not sure which one would go best with the RS-1
confused.gif

y1 via coax was very nice, and probably on par/as good with the uDAC via USB (no way to compare, as the y1 was at a meet at my home last feb). I have no idea what the y1 via USB would sound like. I do think the uDAC sonic traits matches well with the RS-1, but mine were re-cabled with APS v3 cable and had a bit more detail and transparency than the std RS-1.

I ended up selling the RS-1 and a TTVJ portable Millett as a package deal after I got the HE-5 headphones, but I sold it because I needed the money and not because the RS-1/Millett was a bad combo. I just found myself using the Grado HF-2 and HE-5 more so I parted with the RS-1.

Jan 13, 2010 at 1:02 PM Post #654 of 721
There have been many RS1 reviews over the years, so I didn’t start another thread and I am going to keep this brief and to the point. These are my views on how the RS1 (Classic B) sounds on my system. Harman Kardon HD 970 CDP, Meier Cantate.2 solid state amp.

Firstly, the RS1 is light as a feather and beautiful to look at. I owned an ESW9 and I thought they were just about the best looking headphone on the planet (besides the Ed8, but that is a totally different look), but in the “flesh” the little retro Grado woody, looks simply stunning.

The RS1 is part of the “reference series” well I don’t know what that means, it is not accurate or neutral, or reflecting of a live performance to my ears. However, that is not to say that the coloured tonality isn’t pleasing, because it is a very entertaining and fun headphone. As has been mentioned a million times before, the RS1 is very forward sounding, you can describe it as “front row” “on the stage” “in your face” or using any other similar metaphor, but it is very intense, it is an exciting listen. This is a passionate headphone, with very forward mids, excellent in vocal and guitar areas of music. Bass is strong, powerful and possesses plenty of punch. It may not go as deep as some, and it isn’t the tightest I have heard, but it does have significant impact and adds to the fun lively sound. With such mid emphasis and the ability to display powerful bass, I guess I would describe the highs as a slightly weaker point of the RS1. This is not to stay they are poor by any means, but possibly lack a bit of extension and smoothness, however from a positive perspective I have not noticed any excess sibilance that other people have reported, perhaps my ears aren’t as sharp as they once were. I would also say that the RS1’s soundstage is not very large, both in width and depth (no surprises to most) it lacks a sense of space between instruments.

Overall, it is a great headphone for when you are in the “right mood”, particularly with the right music, great for rock type genres-including acoustic, vocal and/or guitar focussed music. I guess the RS1 is the sum of its parts, and the package comes together and simply works. The RS1 has become one of my favourite headphones in a very short time, however I would not want it to be my only headphone; a bit like a sports car, perhaps tiresome going to the supermarket or stuck in city traffic.

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #656 of 721
Very accurate comments Kernmac. I also think it is possibly the best looking headphone. Regarding the issue of fun vs accuracy, after living with the HD800 for 3 months it was so enjoyable to return to the RS-1i. I guess I can live with a fun headphone everyday.

Jan 13, 2010 at 4:55 PM Post #657 of 721
Kernmac, I think your comments concerning the RS-1 is very accurate and from someone who listens and understands music and soundstage. . Again Thanks......

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #660 of 721
Hmm I just bought the MAD Ear+ HD with quite a few tubes to go with some future Grado's. So stuck between the RS-1 Classic/Vintage and HF-2
frown.gif
I have been contemplating for some time now and while the RS-1 seem to have a nicer sound to them, look better and more intimate than the HF-2 with some genre's like one's with acoustic guitar's, I listen to metal mainly and not many people like the RS-1 for it. They seem to like the HF-2 and the higher end Grado's like PS-1. Maybe I should just save for a Magnum 325i...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back