RS-1 Appreciation Thread starts here!!!!
Aug 19, 2009 at 6:54 AM Post #616 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see you have the D10....so do I
bigsmile_face.gif
. I use it with my ES7. How do you feel it makes your 325 sound when you use it as a dac/amp?

they are terrific together. btw, you might want to check out this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/off...s-club-225954/
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #618 of 721
I've had my RS-1's for a couple of years now, and have enjoyed them, but used them sparingly as I bought quite a few cans within a very short period of time. So I never really had a one-on-one relationship for any length of time.

So...

I decided to bring these cans into the office to use daily, for many hours each day. You know, to use them the way they should have been used from the get-go.

Wow, do these cans ever sound friggin' fantastic! Even straight out of an iPod Classic, very musical. I then decided to bring in an "el-cheapo" headamp (LD II+) and I must confess that, to me, these sound great together.

The RS-1 is an amazingly "musical" headphone. At the current used prices, every home should have one.
smile.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #619 of 721
I've owned a pair for about a week now and to be honest I'm not 100% happy with them. I'm currently running them through an ipod (FLAC) with LOD and a GS Voyager until I can afford an upgrade and they seem a bit shrill and harsh in the top end. I wouldn't say they've been burned in yet so I'm hoping this will deal with some of the issues, but I'm slightly pessimistic.
Has anyone had any problems with the RS1's?

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #620 of 721
Just received my RS-1 yesterday. I've had a RS-2 for a couple of years and really didn't think there could be a better rock n roll phone out there. That was until I got my RS-1, now I don't see how there could be a better rock phone than the RS-1. Simply sounds amazing with my Apple lossless>Wadia transport>Audio Alchemy DTI>Valab dac>EF-1 set up.

David
icon10.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:57 PM Post #621 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by bear7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just received my RS-1 yesterday. I've had a RS-2 for a couple of years and really didn't think there could be a better rock n roll phone out there. That was until I got my RS-1, now I don't see how there could be a better rock phone than the RS-1. Simply sounds amazing with my Apple lossless>Wadia transport>Audio Alchemy DTI>Valab dac>EF-1 set up.

David
icon10.gif

Although mine have been gone for over a year now ...

I can only back you up in your claim.

Best "rock phone" ever made.

beyersmile.png

Oct 25, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #622 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiBoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned a pair for about a week now and to be honest I'm not 100% happy with them. I'm currently running them through an ipod (FLAC) with LOD and a GS Voyager until I can afford an upgrade and they seem a bit shrill and harsh in the top end. I wouldn't say they've been burned in yet so I'm hoping this will deal with some of the issues, but I'm slightly pessimistic.
Has anyone had any problems with the RS1's?

Burn them in and try flat pads from TTVJ.com, and while you wait for the flats you could also try reversing the bowl pads with the shallower part of the foam towards the ear. Or try HD414 yellow earpads, and cut out a hole the size of a quarter in the center.

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #623 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burn them in and try flat pads from TTVJ.com, and while you wait for the flats you could also try reversing the bowl pads with the shallower part of the foam towards the ear. Or try HD414 yellow earpads, and cut out a hole the size of a quarter in the center.

Hi Headphoneaddict:

Just wondering if the flats work with all models of RS1s? I own the buttonless RS1s (not the "i") version and I was wondering if my set would work with the flats?

What could I expect to hear/improve with them?

Thanks,
Peter

Oct 25, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #624 of 721
MacedonianHero, the flats from TTVJ will work with all RS1 models without any problem. I purchase the pads to tryout and the bass is increased with more impact but I felt it started to make the mid bass sloppy and taking away the magic mids that the RS1's are known for. The treble is less pronounced and if sibilance is an issue the flats can provide the remedy. That being said, I found my self going back to the bowls as it was the sound I enjoyed. I have a RS1 buttoned model classic b version, I haven't listened to a vintage model but it seems those only came with flats.

Oct 25, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #625 of 721
I had the buttonless non-i model and tried it with flats, but much prefered bolws. The bass became a bit muddy and covered the mids and treble. The vintage RS1 I have now don't have as much bass quantity as the buttonless non-i version and therefore sounds good with both bowls and flats.

Oct 25, 2009 at 11:24 PM Post #626 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Headphoneaddict:

Just wondering if the flats work with all models of RS1s? I own the buttonless RS1s (not the "i") version and I was wondering if my set would work with the flats?

What could I expect to hear/improve with them?

Thanks,
Peter

The flats will work to reduce the treble or sibilance, but at the same time will make them sound more forward with more bass. You had a problem with the treble so I suggested that as one possible fix for you.

Oct 26, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #627 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The flats will work to reduce the treble or sibilance, but at the same time will make them sound more forward with more bass. You had a problem with the treble so I suggested that as one possible fix for you.

Thanks for the information. I think I've got a set of flats kicking around here somewhere. I will definitely have to find them and give them a try.

Cheers!

Oct 26, 2009 at 3:05 AM Post #628 of 721
In my case I just pulled out my RS-1 with bowls + APS V3 cable and I'm listening with my Woo WA6 right now, and I don't think I want to part with them even though I need more money to fund a Woo WES amp. I was planning to sell the RS-1 and my K1000 + the GES for the new amp, but now I don't know what to do.
tongue.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #629 of 721
Just loving my Grado RS1
With rock and acoustics I love the bowls; it gives the air, detail and treble attack and snap that rock needs but for jazz/standard vocals, the flats just do wonders; diana krall, k.d lang, adele...the rich, warmer, thicker lower midrange emphasis that flats give just is amazing.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #630 of 721
Anybody with RS-1i's has got to try them with GS/PS 1000 pads. I was trying out the PS 1000's and for the fun of it put the pads on my RS-1i's and was shocked at how good it sounded. After a couple weeks I returned the PS1000's. I have always liked flats and strongly disliked bowls but the PS pads are just right. I had tried this before with an older pair of RS-1's but did not care for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back