RS-1 Appreciation Thread starts here!!!!
Apr 15, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #556 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have found the tube hybrids like Melos, Millett, Head-direct EF1 or Cavalli CTH all work very well with the RS-1, as do transformer coupled WA6. But my DV336i OTL amp did better with high impedance phones like HD600/650 than it did with low impedance RS-1.

Exceptiona to the rule - I don't think the Zana Deux was transformer coupled but it was very good with All Grados, and the Qinpu A-3 tube hybrid does not do as well with low impedance Grado phones as all the other tube hybrids did because the 1/8" out is actually a pre-amp out.

The Zana doesn't count.
wink.gif
I would say that the issue with otl amps and low Z phones is power, but the Zana puts out a lot, no matter what you hook up to it. On top of that, it has a very different topology compared to most amps on the market and uses a tube that I haven't seen in any other phone amps.

That said, I think that the issue is with synergy more than type of amp, because I have heard the RS-1s do very well with SS, OTL and transformer coupled amps.

Apr 19, 2009 at 9:56 PM Post #560 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sweet, my RS1i beats the new HD800 according to Brits.
tongue.gif

Actually, they say they appreciate them both but for different reasons. Both got the highest rating.

BTW, as a current RS1 owner ... I'm wondering if anyone has had an opp to spend a decent amount of time comparing the RS1 with the RS1i?

confused.gif

Apr 19, 2009 at 9:59 PM Post #561 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have posted that my RS-1's last year sounded better thru all of my SS amps, and quite bad thru the DV tube amp I had then -- and it had an upgraded tube-set in it, too -- made the HD580 sing like never before.
So, it isn't everyone.
I won't let any of my Grados near a tube amp anymore.
But, that's just *me*. I guess others have different results.

I felt the same way after listening to my Grados through a singlepower tube amp; I forget the exact make/model of amp but my god did the RS1's sound like distorted and muffled crap through it.

That said ...

You'd change your opinion of Grados with tube amps if you spent even two minutes listening to your RS1's through a Woo 6SE.
wink.gif

Trust me. It's a divine and sweet pairing. Toe curling.

smily_headphones1.gif

May 26, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #566 of 721
I never appreciated these things fully until I plugged them into the M3+S11 amp. Just used the STX onboard amp which I'm guessing just didn't have the current that the RS1 wanted.

Now, with flats, I finally understand why RS-1 are one of the greatest. I'm in such bliss now.

May 28, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #569 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoRedwings19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's right. I don't want to hear about the expensive PS-1's or razzamatazz MS2I's. I would like to hear from you wooden cup lovers of total sonical pleasure (RS-1's!!!!
rs1smile.gif
). What is it that floats your boat about them.

Post away RS-1 fanboys.

I just picked up a set of slightly used (and buttonless) RS1s today and WOW. These are the best headphones I've ever heard. I can't wait to get home from work and try them out with my RA1 amp.

The somewhat and sometime shrillness of my SR325is headphones is gone and replaced with a warmer sound.

May 28, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #570 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, check out this review where the Brits felt the new RSi outdid the new Sennheiser HD800's! Not ever the GS-1000's or PS-1000's!

the price difference in the UK b/n the rs1i and the hd800 is only about $225 at current rates...i wonder how that factors into the "perceived" value/performance between the two. it shouldn't, but it often does.

i think the reviewer said something we tend to believe around here...that grados have more "energy", "colour", "warmth", and "personality"...those who don't like the grado sound might use the terms "bright" or "colored" or "harsh" to describe those very things. in the end, though, i agree with the reviewer - that the listening "experience" is so much more rewarding with the rs1i (and rs1) over the possibly more accurate and neutral senn (with the caveat that i've not listened to the hd800 and i'm not making a statement about those headphones at all)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back