RS-1 Appreciation Thread starts here!!!!
Apr 15, 2009 at 4:21 AM Post #542 of 721
Acoustic, vocal and mellower stuff you say? I fully agree.

Eva Cassidy, Eric Clapton, Nils Lofgren, Rodrigo Y Gabriela come to my mind. All live of course.
wink.gif

This might be a little blasphemous on an RS1 appreciation thread, but locally the D7000 and RS1 cost the same (new) and if I had that kind of money I would go for the D7000 as a more all-rounder. Of course, I bought my RS1 at quite a steal used so...
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #543 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I don't get is that everyone says tube amps are the best for the RS-1 but yet the RA-1 is solid state (CMOY at that) and everyone loves that combo too

so.. which is it? tube or ss?

I have posted that my RS-1's last year sounded better thru all of my SS amps, and quite bad thru the DV tube amp I had then -- and it had an upgraded tube-set in it, too -- made the HD580 sing like never before.
So, it isn't everyone.
I won't let any of my Grados near a tube amp anymore.
But, that's just *me*. I guess others have different results.

Apr 15, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #545 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by silverrain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have posted that my RS-1's last year sounded better thru all of my SS amps, and quite bad thru the DV tube amp I had then -- and it had an upgraded tube-set in it, too -- made the HD580 sing like never before.
So, it isn't everyone.

Is the DV the only tube amp you've used with the RS-1?

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:07 PM Post #546 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I don't get is that everyone says tube amps are the best for the RS-1 but yet the RA-1 is solid state (CMOY at that) and everyone loves that combo too

so.. which is it? tube or ss?

no everyone does not. SOme prefer Pico or KICAS Caliente. I'm now trying the Caliente thanks to a loan from another Head-Fier and find it much more enjoyable than my 3Move. Now I'm going to try the Pico. Haven't tried my regular $50 CMOY yet. Maybe I'll like that combo??

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:23 PM Post #548 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brighten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the DV the only tube amp you've used with the RS-1?

Yes -- a 336SE.
It sounded really nice with HD580 during burn-in. But, it just didn't like my Grados.

I sold it, because I, personally, don't have the time nor desire, to play with tube-rolling, to match various cans.
I can see how it can be a hobby unto itself, with all the tubes available, if you enjoy doing that.

I just stick to my SS amps, which are less picky.

Apr 15, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #549 of 721
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree. they do vocals and mellower stuff better. for rock i prefer my 325i's.
wink.gif

I'd agree with this. I like the MS-2i better for electric/electronic rock. The RS-1s are sweet with acoustic and less complex rock.

Apr 15, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #550 of 721
Some tube amps sound out of this world with the RS1... notably a good-condition Melos with great tubes or that Mapletree Ear+ dealie. If I do any other upgrades to my rig, it'll be to a Mapletree amp. Sure do like my RA-1 with it though for now.

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #551 of 721
Quote:

So, it isn't everyone.

I use a Cambridge 540A V2 with my RS1 and am quite happy with it. The only SS amp I felt was a poor match with the RS1 was a LD MKV.

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #552 of 721
Quote:

Yes -- a 336SE.
It sounded really nice with HD580 during burn-in. But, it just didn't like my Grados.

I sold it, because I, personally, don't have the time nor desire, to play with tube-rolling, to match various cans.
I can see how it can be a hobby unto itself, with all the tubes available, if you enjoy doing that.

I just stick to my SS amps, which are less picky.

surprised to hear that your DV didn't match well with your RS1. i have a LD MK3 and i find it to match extremely well with Grado's.
smily_headphones1.gif

you should try the Mapletree or the WA6 maybe...

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #553 of 721
I'll add to my impressions that these cans actually invite to turning down the volume instead of the other way around.
I always listen at safe levels but with the RS-1i's I tend to go a tad lower.

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #554 of 721
I`ve also had huge problems with the RS1s hurting my ears. The highs, pretty much. The mids are fantastic, tho.
Guess I`ll put my RS1s out for sale when I get them back from Grado. Just want to make sure they`re in peach shape.

And yeah, the RS1s wanted me to play on a low volume as well. Fantastic sound, airy and with a great roomy presence. Just not my cup of tea, I think, because of the highs. If you like those, you`re in for a treat.

Apr 15, 2009 at 10:12 PM Post #555 of 721
Quote:

So, it isn't everyone.

I have found the tube hybrids like Melos, Millett, Head-direct EF1 or Cavalli CTH all work very well with the RS-1, as do transformer coupled WA6. But my DV336i OTL amp did better with high impedance phones like HD600/650 than it did with low impedance RS-1.

Exceptiona to the rule - I don't think the Zana Deux was transformer coupled but it was very good with All Grados, and the Qinpu A-3 tube hybrid does not do as well with low impedance Grado phones as all the other tube hybrids did because the 1/8" out is actually a pre-amp out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back