Round Two: HD 280 Pro For Movies and Games?
Jun 29, 2012 at 1:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

SystemsLock

New Head-Fier
This is round two of my headphone search. You guys have dissuaded me from the ATH-M50 due to their poor sound stage so I'm back on the hunt.

I'm a proud owner of a Sennheiser HD555 which has served me well for movies, music, and games. But I'm off to college in the fall and as much as I love my HD555, its open cans won't serve me in a noisy dorm or a quiet library. So I need a new closed pair to take with me. I do listen to music but movies and games are a priority. Semi-portability is also a must (folding would be nice). I don't wanna get funny looks wearing them in the library. I'm not an audiophile but I figure I might as well get good audio where I can afford it.

What do you think about the HD 280? In terms of comfort, soundstage (compared to other closed headphones), durability, and general sound quality (lets not get too technical). I also need to know if they're driveable without an amp as that would be a deal breaker (It'll be primarily used with a laptop).

The HD 380 is also a consideration. Feel free to suggest others under $200. But my top candidate right now are the HD 280. Thanks.

Jun 29, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #2 of 2
Durability: Not so durable. During the +/- 8 years I have had them some parts of the headband started cracking. A few weeks ago the earpads started to wear.
Comfort: Very comfortable. For me anyways. Some people complain about a clamping force.
Sound: The best area of this headphone. Very enjoyable, clean sounding. On the cold side. If you are used to warm sounding headphones then you might find something missing at first (the mid-bass region).
Soundstage: Narrow. If the recording has a wide soundstage it will sound wide.
It can be driven without an amp.

I am not sure about the HD380, but it seems to be more durable. I think the sound is a bit less flat than the HD280.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back