Round 2 Mojo/Poly Loaner program
Mar 27, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #18 of 49
It would be really fantastic to know who it's with...that way if anything comes up with people not being able to receive it (I have to make a trip to Puerto Rico here in the next couple months) we can hash that out before something (expensive) gets lost in the mail...

Mar 27, 2019 at 8:18 PM Post #19 of 49
Not sure if I ever got added to this one :xf_eek:

Mar 28, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #20 of 49
Hi All,

The Mojo and Poly are currently in the hands of Lovetolisten and will be headed to Buffalomatt sometime next week.

Voxata, you are on the list - about 2 or 3 folks in front of you.

Todd

Mar 28, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #21 of 49
Many thanks Todd, looking forward to it!

Apr 8, 2019 at 3:07 PM Post #22 of 49
Hi All,

Chord announced today a firmware upgrade for the Poly. Here is the procedure for implementing it... hopefully this will take the Poly to the next level for ease of use!

Todd

Chord Electronics is delighted to announce a significant new firmware update for Poly: V2.0.0. The update features a number of improvements, including better Bluetooth, Wi-Fi and DLNA connectivity, plus Tidal and Qobuz support.

The firmware will roll out with an over-the-air update on April 8th, however, in order to correctly update Poly, there are a series of steps to carefully follow (below). A guide to accessing Tidal and Qobuz services is also below. A short video is available here.

How to update Poly to V2.0.0 firmware

Step 1

If fitted, remove any Micro SD card. Switch on Poly/Mojo, making sure Poly is charged, connected to its power supply and connected to the internet; ensure Poly’s ‘P status’ light is a solid colour and not flashing.

Step 2

In the background, Poly will download V1.0.41, a new installation tool for the new Poly 2.0.0 firmware.

Step 3

Open the Gofigure App. Go to Settings> General Settings and check the Poly version is now 1.0.41. Next, go back to Settings> Device Settings, you should now have the option to update the firmware. Tap update firmware.

Step 4

Poly’s ‘P status’ light will cycle through a range of colours, showing the update has commenced.

Step 5

Leave Poly until the colour cycle has stopped, this can take up to 30 minutes. Poly’s ‘P status’ light will then show solid colour.

Step 6

Switch Poly off. Re-insert any removed Micro SD card. Switch Poly on. Poly is now ready to use.

Adding Tidal and Qobuz streaming services

Step 1

With Firmware V2.0.0. now installed (see above) have your Tidal/Qobuz login-in details to hand.

Step 2

Open Gofigure. Go to User and enter your Tidal and/or Qobuz username and password and press ‘Save’. You can now return to the Home screen.

Step 3

When using your preferred DLNA control App, your Tidal and Qobuz folders will now be discoverable when Poly is selected as a server/library.

Apr 8, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #23 of 49
Chord Electronics’ Poly streamer benefits from a dramatic new firmware update
‘Poly 2’ brings Tidal and Qobuz integration, Roon Ready certification plus wide-ranging performance benefits

8th April 2019, Kent: Chord Electronics has announced a significant new firmware update for Poly, the wireless streaming module for the Mojo DAC/headphone amp. The new firmware (V2.0.0), has been crowned ‘Poly 2’ in recognition of its wide-ranging improvements, which include Tidal and Qobuz support via popular third-party DLNA Apps.

Poly 2 is the first major firmware update for the portable high-resolution streamer/player. The update introduces wide-ranging performance benefits, including improved Bluetooth, DLNA and Wi-Fi, plus Roon Ready Certification and key updates to the configuration switch.

The new firmware will roll-out with an over-the-air update from today using single-jump firmware update methodology, which allows any previous version of firmware to be updated to the latest version.

The Poly 2 firmware update follows the recent announcement of Gofigure for Android, which saw Poly’s dedicated configuration App made available for Android devices following its iOS debut.

Poly 2 firmware features

Roon Ready

Poly is now fully Roon Ready certified. Poly users can benefit from the full backing and support of the company, who is now offering assistance for Poly owners using its software. The update also offers improved network playback performance, including Bluetooth convenience switching to/from Roon Ready mode.

Dedicated DLNA

Poly’s DLNA capabilities have also improved to include integration of popular streaming services including Tidal and Qobuz, the addition of Internet Radio support, a DSD rendering update, plus gapless playback support (where supported by the Client App).

Willing Wi-Fi

A new Wi-Fi driver brings improved performance and flexibility, and is faster over 2.4GHz networks.

Better Bluetooth

Bluetooth has also been improved offering better co-existence with Wi-Fi.

Magnificent MPD (Music Player Daemon)

The update includes Id3tag support, MP3 indexing support and a general update to MPD.

Cracking configuration switch

The improved configuration switch enables a number of important usage improvements, including: switching between Hotspot and Network Mode; access to Hotspot password reset; Bluetooth PIN code reset and factory reset functions, plus manual firmware update, (all by holding the Config button for 20 seconds); options are audible (spoken) with each button-press.

Advanced Android/iOS App update

Benefits include Tidal and Qobuz credentials entry, Internet Radio support with the ability to add favourite radio stations, a Wizard update with improved Hotspot/Wi-Fi switching capabilities, plus a Firmware Update methodology change: after the Poly 2 firmware (V2.0.0) has been installed (along with the new Apps), users will be prompted when new Firmware is available enabling a choice of install timing.

May 1, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #25 of 49
Excited to try this player out finally, thanks for the update!

May 20, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #26 of 49
The mojo poly arrived today and I wanted to give my quick impressions of the Poly addon more so than the Mojo.

I have previously owned the Mojo and while I thought it was a great sounding portable player having to keep it tethered to my phone was never ideal and I gave up on it after a brief stint with it as a desktop amp. I sold the Mojo but kept the chord sound in the form of a 2qute.

So now to the thoughts which are more focused on the setup and ease of use than the sound at this point...

Shipment came in the form of a USPS click and ship small box including the Mojo, Poly, and Mojopoly case in their respective retail packaging. Unboxing and assembling took a matter of a few seconds...being at work I plugged in the charger and just the battery fill up to be ready for some home use.

Setup using the GoFigure app was very intuitive and easy (using an android Essential PH-1). The app instantly recognized the poly and home network and had me listening to BBC radio again, in a matter of seconds. Determined to get Tidal going without using any directions I then flipped through the menus, entered my login credentials and then nothing. Turns out you need to use a UPnP program ( I choose Bubblepop) to stream digital music via Tidal, Qobuz, G music, etc. Again, setup in the form of Bubblepop was an easy affair, simply opening the app and I found the Poly streamer, connected and had my music streaming.

So, basically, five minutes of setup and am listening to my music through a very capable and lovely sounding Mojo DAC. The user experienced is much improved over the solo Mojo, and the ability to walk around the house with HIFI sound via a small brick has so far been very positive.

Ill update with some more thoughts after a week of playing with it...the real test is going to be using it outside of the home network.

Keith

Jun 1, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #27 of 49
My time with the mojo+poly came to an end earlier this week and a quick synopsis of the experience is this. If you have a mojo and travel or use it around the house you should consider getting a poly...it basically elevate the experience and makes listneing easier and better in most ways.

I want to thank Todd for setting up this tour and including me in this round. The ability to try out gear before purchasing it has saved and surprised me and is a valuable benefit of this community.

Prior to the release of the poly I owned a Mojo, my first experience with the Chord sound, and was immediately sold on the FPGA approach to DAC. I traveled and relaxed at home with the Mojo for a little over a year, but found that I traveled less and had less relaxing time at home with the growing kids so sold off the Mojo. As I spent less time listening to music around the house and more time at a dedicated setup I chose to get rid of the Mojo and pick up a 2Qute which has served my DAC needs since and will for the foreseeable future. Prior to selling the Mojo I had considered picking up a Poly, but due to the high cost and poor reviews (generally based on user ux) I never made the leap. As an android user, it never seemed like it was a good match.

Fast forward to the loaner tour and my experience as a android user and setting up the Mojo+Poly. I had heard the 2go app and firmware upgrades had greatly improved the user experience, and although I never used the original release version, I was pleasantly surprised at the ease of setup and use. The Poly was immediately recognized by my phone (Essential PH-1) and home network and after entering the password and a quick sync I was quickly listening to my music at home. In the car over bluetooth, it was a simlar experience. I never tried using the poly as a hotspot, so I cannot comment on the ease of use in that mode.

Positives:

The Mojo+Poly retains its small form factor and great sound, but without the need to connect to my laptop/phone. The freedom to walk around while listening to music while everyone else in the house slept was a refreshing experience with my Cascades/HD660s'. The Mojo only setup with the OTG cable always felt cumbersome at home and while traveling.

Another benefit was the lack of occasional static/interference noise I would pick up from the cellular network (especially when receiving texts or alerts).

Easy setup and simple UX with the 2Go app

Turn it on, start a playlist on my phone/laptop, drop the phone/laptop and put the Mojo+poly in my pocket and enjoy.

Mojo is a fantastic DAC/Amp that punches well above its weight class. A very black background, plenty of power for most headphones and really dynamic sound that brings out all the details of a track.

Negatives:

The price is still high. Finding a used Mojo for around 300$ is fairly easy which makes the around two times the cost of what should be the more important piece of hardware. It is hard to find a used Poly for much less than the new cost, but even then, its much higher than the actual DAC. It is a hard cost to justify for what amounts to a convenience factor, but it should be considered if you get a lot of use out of your Mojo.

Slow charging times and limited playback time, and not nearly adequate for a cross country flight considering time spent in the airport listening. This may or may not be an issue since mobility is not an issue on the plane. But a few times during the week after forgetting to charge the setup I was limited to around 2 hours of playback.

I experienced one connection drop out that took me some time to restore through power cycling...but this may be a result of my phone not having the greatest connection reliability.

Unique/novel volume control of the Mojo is less interesting to me than a tactile volume knob. (least important)

Summary:

The Poly is a great addition to the Mojo and makes for a much more complete product and listening experience. I wish that the units had quick charge 3.0 or similar for fast power ups, but if you can remember to keep it charged overnight it makes a great travel companion. In my current everyday life the Mojo, with or w/o the Poly does not make a lot of sense, but if I begin to travel more, or change my commute method I would surely pick up this combo.

Final Note:

I hope that they can add the Poly functionality to the Mojo for a Mojo2 release, if they do this they will hopefully be able to bring the inclusive cost down. A Mojo 2 with streaming built in for $650-750 would attract a lot of attention and sales.

Jun 4, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #28 of 49
Hi Everyone,

Just want to post an update that I received the Mojo+Poly on Monday, 6/3/19. Everything is in great shape.

I downloaded the Gofigure app to set up the Poly from iPhone. The entire process took about 5 minutes. The Poly User Manual was very helpful. I also found it's helpful to watch some Youtube videos beforehand.

Thank you Todd for sponsoring this tour.

IMG_5710.JPG IMG_5711.JPG IMG_5712.JPG

Attachments

• chord-poly-manual.pdf
    805.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back