Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 - Alex's Beautiful New Baby
Dec 4, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #917 of 1,034
Alright, so here's my initial review:

Background: I bought these as a more "Fun" headphone versus my Hifiman HE-1000 v2. I replaced my technically excellent, but supremely boring Focal Utopia with the HEKv2. All 3 headphones were hooked up to a Schiit BiFrost 2/64 DAC and a Jotunheim 2 Amp.

The Bottom Line Up Front (BLUF): These are my favorite headphones of all time right now. They are fun, bassy, great sounding headphones that are great for EDM and Rock.

The Long Version: Before I talk about the sound, I want to talk about the physical and technical side. Yes, these are heavy and Alex Rosson needs to develop a better headband, yes, Puck's strap helps, yes, the massive earcups make for a very comfortable fit on the ears, and yes, they are gorgeous. I did have issues with the left ear cutting in and out, but rotating the stock cable slightly on the left side fixed that issue on the spot - I have a Corpse Audio balanced cable on the way. Full disclosure, my RAD-0 are used and I am at least teh 3rd owner, so don't expect that issue to be the norm (I had the same issue with my HEK).

The Sound: I am not a basshead and typically hate people with loud, rattley bass coming from their car. I do appreciate very good quality bass though and the RAD-0 excels in that area and has bass you can actually feel, which really brings EDM and rock alive. Basically every reviewer out there has praised the RAD-0s bass, so no surprise there. I was expecting that to be the only thing this headphone does really well, but instruments and vocals come though beautfully as well. The vocals are a step back from the HEKv2, and are a little more muffled than on the HEKv2, but are still good enough to be considered top notch. Guitars and synths play beautifully on both I'm Good (Blue) by David Guetta and Anastasia by Slash. Overall, this is a fantastic and wonderful sounding headphone that is very easy to drive and I'm hoping the Corpse cable brings out even more of the headphone's clarity and characteristics.

Conclusion: For me, this is truly an endgame headphone and one I'll enjoy listening to for a long time - but really Alex, fix the headband and the weight - it shouldn't be that hard and literally every review over 3 years mentions these issues.

The End.

Dec 4, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #918 of 1,034
I plugged in a 4-pin XLR from my HEKv2 to the RAD-0. I'm now driving these at full listening volume using only 25% of my Jotunheim 2 - easily the easiest headphones I've ever tried to drive. The sound signature remains about the same with the different cable.

Dec 8, 2022 at 7:06 PM Post #919 of 1,034
New Corpse Cable GraveDigger. Cable is great quality and sound great. The sound is definitely clearer than with the stock HEKv2 cable I was using. The 4-pin xlr makes the rad-0 super easy to drive. Vocals are fantastically clear, bass is so detailed and guitars sound like you're there in the studio. I See Red and I'm Good sound epic. The transitions from Be The Same that can be very rough on bad headphones sound just about perfect now on these. The strings on You Learn have so much vibration and depth. My Tidal test tracks playlist is in my sig if you want to listen. Overall, the corpse cable is a great add-on at a much better price/quality than the Moon Dragon cable I have.

Only downside: microphonic cable - booo

Attachments

• PXL_20221208_235420494~2.jpg
    PXL_20221208_235420494~2.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #920 of 1,034
I took my RAD-0 out listening to music this evening. I must say there is indeed away comfortably wearing the RAD-0 in its stock form:

i. Don't overly stretch the headband, keep it with enough cramping pressure.
ii. Make sure the headband pad resting squarely on the top of your head, and not resting it on its edge. You may need to tilt the headband back and forth and runs your fingers along the pads to make sure it rest squarely.

Dec 22, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #922 of 1,034
I took my RAD-0 out listening to music this evening. I must say there is indeed away comfortably wearing the RAD-0 in its stock form:

i. Don't overly stretch the headband, keep it with enough cramping pressure.
ii. Make sure the headband pad resting squarely on the top of your head, and not resting it on its edge. You may need to tilt the headband back and forth and runs your fingers along the pads to make sure it rest squarely.
Also, add the Puck mod so that you don't have to worry about it! Haha

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #924 of 1,034
Great sent puck a pm.
Good guy.

Waiting for the ups guy here in NC. Cold rain downpour pour here. Yuck.

Funny thing is the cans I choose had some imperfections and Alex informed me and is sending something similar. So I am excited to see what's in the package!!

😀

Dec 22, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #925 of 1,034
Great sent puck a pm.
Good guy.

Waiting for the ups guy here in NC. Cold rain downpour pour here. Yuck.

Funny thing is the cans I choose had some imperfections and Alex informed me and is sending something similar. So I am excited to see what's in the package!!

😀
Nice! It's -14 and snowing here. I feel like my Honey Baked Ham order may not arrive today haha.

Dec 22, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #926 of 1,034
Only a few minutes on these to make sure they arrived ok and work..
They do ! Ha!

First impressions are very good.
Think the soundstage is wider than the D8000 Pros.

Will take some time over the next few days and do some critical listening and post pix.

Alex

Dec 23, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #928 of 1,034
Here at last...
First listen for 20 min is really good.
Wider soundstage than other planars I have in house.
Very coherent.
Beautiful overall balance.
Treble is close to perfect IMO.
Tone...music sounds like music!
Keepers for sure.
More later....like u dont already know ~
LOL!

Merry Christmas!
Alex

424+(2+of+33).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back