Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 - Alex's Beautiful New Baby
Sep 23, 2022 at 8:17 PM Post #901 of 1,034
What a turnaround of events. I've now gone VERY far with the grille and dealing with the Rosson team directly with a tonne of back and forth.

I think their team is even more excited about the project than I am if that's even possible.

I guess good things happen to those that wait.

This will turn out to be a few months in the process but should be well worth the wait.

To be continued.

Do you have any updates on this for our knowledge here?

Has anyone compared the RAD-0 to the LCD-5?
I’ve A/B’d them both at my local headphone shop for about an hour of back and forth.

I own the RAD-0 so keep that in mind as i’m sure there’s a bit of bias.

The LCD5 is very detailed. Quite a noticeable jump in resolution and overall performance with excellent clarity in the mid range. Great performance on clarity of trailing ends of tones and subtle details in the highs that the Rosson can’t complete with.

However, the LCD5 by comparison is bass lean. It’s a VERY mid forward headphone. So much so that it takes over the mix for me and it’s missing the low end thump and sparkly treble that I need in a headphone to enjoy them. It’s also quite relaxed in the treble. For me it lacks the sparkle and energy and can come across quite boring for the genres that I listen to.

I find the Rosson much more tonally balanced with excellent extension on both the lows and highs. The bass on the RAD-0 has a much nicer sense of note weight. The mids are perfect. Not as detailed as the LCD5 but close enough for me to not want for anything. My original intention was to possibly sell a few of my other headphones to “upgrade” to the LCD5 but after hearing them compared to the Rosson I was quite disappointed in the Audeze’s.

Like all headphones I think source and signal chain plays a much bigger role than some reviewers would suggest. I’m sure the LCD5 could sound awesome with specific gear but for me I vastly prefer the RAD-0.
I can't personally attest to this, but while it is often noted to be bass lean I've heard several people indicate that the LCD5 is significantly better with eq.

Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt though. I've not personally experienced it either way, I've just seen that sentiment echoed many times.
I used to own the Rad-0 and listened to the LCD5 at Axpona and agree 100% with your assessment.

As someone who owned and loves the LCD-X/XC, I wholeheartedly agree as well. I was very disappointed in the stock tuning of the LCD-5. It was too mid forward, bass was lacking, and treble just felt off for the other two areas aforementioned.

For it's excellence in comfort and build, I found the sound to be lacking. Maybe I went in with too many expectations.

For those having hotspot on the top of the head, I've tried the leather suspension strap mod made by @puck and it's really night and day. It fits perfectly on the head and the hotspot disappears :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Just wanted to share my impressions if it can help someone :relaxed:
IMG_2261.jpg

That mod is awesome!

Wonder why Alex is not doing something like this ?
Aesthetics maybe? Either way, it's good that there's enough space there for folks to mod :)

I'll have to ask the bossman!

Sep 23, 2022 at 8:39 PM Post #902 of 1,034
Do you have any updates on this for our knowledge here?

Hi Seb,

I received all of the information from the airbrush artist that was going to do the work but I’ve put the project on hold for the time being. Still very interested in having it done but my focus has shifted a bit now that Zach announced the Caldera. I’ll probably pick the project back up after ZMF November.

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:05 PM Post #903 of 1,034
Hi Seb,

I received all of the information from the airbrush artist that was going to do the work but I’ve put the project on hold for the time being. Still very interested in having it done but my focus has shifted a bit now that Zach announced the Caldera. I’ll probably pick the project back up after ZMF November.

Thanks of much for updating us!

Oct 3, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #904 of 1,034
Until we get my personal set finished. Alex and Taylor kindly loaned me this beautiful wood unit.

Combined with the Forge, it's the pairing out of everything I have, that's for sure!

1664820359134.png

Dec 1, 2022 at 10:28 AM Post #905 of 1,034

The RAD-0 is my new favorite headphone​

• It's so good that I took several measures to improve its comfort, despite the serious neck pains it caused me after 30 min of listening!
  • Special thanks to @puck , for creating several headbands to find one that suited my big melon head.

My favorite audio chain for the RAD-0

1669907917576.png

• I'm loving how it sounds via my WA7's single-ended output (3rd gen), which is fed by my Chord Mojo 2 :slight_smile:
  • The Mojo 2's EQ settings make this setup magical for me.
    • Adjusting the high frequencies is such a blast when I switch between genres.
    • I keep the bass frequencies the same, regardless of genre.

About that comfort..

• My issues were weight and a center hotspot, two red flags that generally indicate the headphone isn't for me.
  • Initially, the famous headband mod did NOT do the trick.
    • The hotspot issue was slightly fixed, but I still felt like I had a 5LB weight on my head.

My solution to comfort issues​

• After watching a video about how the ZMF VCs don't feel heavy, I started to wonder: HOW if certain models can weigh almost 550 grams?
    • That's when it hit me: maybe the RAD-0's weight can be bearable if my headband gently presses on the cushion.
  • Below is the result:
    • Aesthetically, it's a nightmare.
    • I ruined the headphone's value by scratching the actual headband with zip ties.
    • BUT....
      • I can now wear them for 1+ hours with no issues.
      • The center hotspot is now resolved.
      • I get to enjoy music again :sunglasses:
1669908005990.png
1669908035748.png
1669908074609.png

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #906 of 1,034

The RAD-0 is my new favorite headphone​

• It's so good that I took several measures to improve its comfort, despite the serious neck pains it caused me after 30 min of listening!
  • Special thanks to @puck , for creating several headbands to find one that suited my big melon head.

My favorite audio chain for the RAD-0

• I'm loving how it sounds via my WA7's single-ended output (3rd gen), which is fed by my Chord Mojo 2 :slight_smile:
    • Suprisingly, these headphones sound better with a warmer tube. The RCA Clears made them sound.. boring :slight_frown:
  • The Mojo 2's EQ settings make this setup magical for me.
    • Adjusting the high frequencies is such a blast when I switch between genres.
      • I keep the bass frequencies the same, regardless of genre.

About that comfort..

• My issues were weight and a center hotspot, two red flags that generally indicate the headphone isn't for me.
  • Initially, the famous headband mod did NOT do the trick.
    • The hotspot issue was slightly fixed, but I still felt like I had a 5LB weight on my head.

My solution to comfort issues​

• After watching a video about how the ZMF VCs don't feel heavy, I started to wonder: HOW if certain models can weigh almost 550 grams?
    • That's when it hit me: maybe the RAD-0's weight can be bearable if my headband gently presses on the cushion.
  • Below is the result:
    • Aesthetically, it's a nightmare.
    • I ruined the headphone's value by scratching the actual headband with zip ties.
    • BUT....
      • I can now wear them for 1+ hours with no issues.
      • The center hotspot is now resolved.
      • I get to enjoy music again :sunglasses:

I like @puck and use of his innovative strap, other than that you could have come up a with different method besides zip-ties. Your head, your headphones. Good luck.

Dec 1, 2022 at 3:54 PM Post #908 of 1,034
Yeah. Puck's strap works perfectly with them. Just purchased a ZMF Crescent Snap that I'm hoping will work as well. It's already shipped so I'll report back with my findings.

Dec 3, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #915 of 1,034
There we go, figured it out.
Nice!

Beautiful and unusual set … made me think of the word confection, as in … a sweet creation which is pleasing both to the eye and palate (or ears in this case).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back