Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 - Alex's Beautiful New Baby
Jan 22, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #1,021 of 1,034
Very informative. Thank you! If buying used are there any tips for trying to determine which tuning option is associated with a particular set?
Nope. You can ask the seller what the number of the unit is and then reach out to Rosson. They’ll give you the tuning information.

Mar 25, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #1,023 of 1,034
just got a used pair of rad-0's, they live up to the hype!

they sure do take eq elegantly, running an oratory setup with a little more mid-bass for slam and it's already the best thing i've ever owned. flexible for all genres, but especially cool for electronic music, i.e. 80% of my listening.

they wipe the floor with my LCD-x in every way, including comfort. they are more resolving than my verite closed without nearly as much confusion in the mids, and are just as fun as my TH-909's with a ton more information in both sub-bass and high-air extension detail. looks like i'm gonna be selling some gear soon lol

curiously, i thought these would be more monsterous in the bass. i think both the verite and the th-909's move more air around on maximalist bass tracks, but the detail retreival, texturing, and sense of information available all the way up and down without losing the sense of impact and musicality more than makes up for it.

part of that is that it is possible they could use a little amp upgrade though. right now they're running straight out of the 1/4" output of an adi-2 with the stock cable, as my only other amp is a bottlehead crack that's an exceptionally poor pair for these due to their relatively low impedence. they feel slightly underpowered on low-power mode of the adi-2, but a bit overdriven on high-power mode. note they're still *super inspiring*, i just have heard demos from friends and at canjam that had a little more dynamism / warmth / immediacy and a bit more clean headroom on the gain.

any suggestions for an exemplary amplifier pair for these using the adi-2 for a dac on desktop amp? i'd love to find something good under 1k used or transcendent under 3k, particularly if it'd replace the adi-2 and therefore be easier to use with analog sources & bluetooth without having to use a separate DI box.

things i've heard are good pairings:
zmf pendant
burson soloist
gsx-mini

i've never worked with tubes before but i'm alarmingly tempted. hey, at least it's not electroststs...

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #1,024 of 1,034

they sure do take eq elegantly, running an oratory setup with a little more mid-bass for slam and it's already the best thing i've ever owned. flexible for all genres, but especially cool for electronic music, i.e. 80% of my listening.

they wipe the floor with my LCD-x in every way, including comfort. they are more resolving than my verite closed without nearly as much confusion in the mids, and are just as fun as my TH-909's with a ton more information in both sub-bass and high-air extension detail. looks like i'm gonna be selling some gear soon lol

curiously, i thought these would be more monsterous in the bass. i think both the verite and the th-909's move more air around on maximalist bass tracks, but the detail retreival, texturing, and sense of information available all the way up and down without losing the sense of impact and musicality more than makes up for it.

part of that is that it is possible they could use a little amp upgrade though. right now they're running straight out of the 1/4" output of an adi-2 with the stock cable, as my only other amp is a bottlehead crack that's an exceptionally poor pair for these due to their relatively low impedence. they feel slightly underpowered on low-power mode of the adi-2, but a bit overdriven on high-power mode. note they're still *super inspiring*, i just have heard demos from friends and at canjam that had a little more dynamism / warmth / immediacy and a bit more clean headroom on the gain.

any suggestions for an exemplary amplifier pair for these using the adi-2 for a dac on desktop amp? i'd love to find something good under 1k used or transcendent under 3k, particularly if it'd replace the adi-2 and therefore be easier to use with analog sources & bluetooth without having to use a separate DI box.

zmf pendant
burson soloist
gsx-mini

i've never worked with tubes before but i'm alarmingly tempted. hey, at least it's not electroststs...

The RAD-0 really likes being driven balanced in my experience, and I can vouch for the GS-X mini being a superb companion to it. As with all lower-efficiency planars, it's all about being an amplifier able to deliver large amounts of current quickly, to allow the bass to be all that it can be.

Mar 25, 2024 at 8:39 PM Post #1,025 of 1,034

zmf pendant
burson soloist
gsx-mini

sadly after using it as a daily driver back in the days... my head started to hurt. it feels like a vice gripping your head. nowadays... it just a headphone for the occasion.

Mar 25, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #1,026 of 1,034
Yeah that clamp pressure is what ruined that headphone. It had such great sound

Mar 26, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #1,027 of 1,034
To @shalin: when I owned Rosson RAD-0, #43 of #100 in the particular design, the best suited / most magical / uncanny amplifier pairing was with HeadAmp GSX-mini. If you fully intend to keep RAD-0, get this amplifier. Then get an excellent copper / silver interwoven (not plated) headphone cable: I recommend Norne Audio Vygarde or Forza Audio Works Noir Hybrid. With all that, you can then be a Head-Fi alumnus / alumna. 🤷🏻‍♂️😜

EDIT: The RAD-0 'merciless' headband took its toll on me ....

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #1,028 of 1,034
You guys should know that the headband on the Rad-0 is intended to be bent to adjust the clamp pressure to your preference. Rosson even has a video on their sight about the proper technique for bending it. Just like ZMF headbands. Also, adding a suspension strap makes a big difference for comfort.

Mar 26, 2024 at 10:37 PM Post #1,030 of 1,034
You guys should know that the headband on the Rad-0 is intended to be bent to adjust the clamp pressure to your preference. Rosson even has a video on their sight about the proper technique for bending it. Just like ZMF headbands. Also, adding a suspension strap makes a big difference for comfort.
Your (?) mod / suspension strap for RAD-0 came some time after I sold ... 😒🤷🏻‍♂️

Mar 26, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #1,031 of 1,034
Fair enough. I never messed with the headband of mine before I sold it. However it would have to be a night and day difference as this was the only headphone I've ever had to sell because it caused physical pain. I've tried to reacquire it on a couple occasions but never was able to pull the trigger. I would like to give it one more shot.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2024 at 11:10 PM Post #1,032 of 1,034
Fair enough. I never messed with the headband of mine before I sold it. However it would have to be a night and day difference as this was the only headphone I've ever had to sell because it caused physical pain. I've tried to reacquire it on a couple occasions but never was able to pull the trigger. I would like to give it one more shot.
If you ever do, hit me up for a strap and bend that headband. It really does make a major difference in my experience.

Apr 17, 2024 at 2:33 AM Post #1,033 of 1,034
Holy moly, only 69 pages, for such a great headphone! That's ok, it's a great number anyway.

Speaking of numbers, rad-0 number 494, Pink Floyd, checking in. Proud to be part of such an underdog thread. Since my previous posts here, I have had my mega high end palladium coated silver cable reterminated for the Rads, with curious but satisfying results: the rad-0, with a dead neutral, dead honest, hyper detailed dac, amp, and headphone cable, still refuses to become boring or clinical, or unfun.

With my Hugo 2 and my equally expensive silver cable, the raw detail retrieval is really something special, but the Rads still retain a subtle, tasteful euphonic character over the whole frequency spectrum, one that doesn't sacrifice any extension top or bottom. Previously I had praised the Rad-0's versatility, and if anything upgrading to a more neutral, transparent cable has increased the versatility even more.

This might be a hot take, but I think the Rad-0 has the right amounts of everything. I don't hear it as "slightly euphonic" I hear it as Extremely Correct sounding. The bass for example, it's not excessive at all, I now have another headphone rig with significantly stronger, harder slamming bass than this, and it still sounds good. Likewise I've heard a truly, actually euphonic headphone, the Sendy Peacock, and that one still sounds good in the right chain. The Rad-0 is like a middle ground between everything.

I still can't believe I got this headphone brand new for 1800, what a deal! Now I'm going to spend more money on custom grills though, because I like it so much! :D

Apr 26, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #1,034 of 1,034
21404_source_1668009794.jpg

Got these coming in! :) Thrilled!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back