Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 - Alex's Beautiful New Baby
Apr 22, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #871 of 1,032
Lovely. I'm working with the Rosson team as well.

They're making a custom grill for my 291's. I've asked for something pretty specific so they need to bring in a technical painter to achieve the effect i'm looking for. I'm pretty excited but also worried about how much it's going to cost me.
Oh nice. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store given how specific it is.

May 2, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #872 of 1,032
Oh nice. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in store given how specific it is.
Normally I would have nothing but excellent things to say about the Rosson team but unfortunately I've had a really negative experience with them this time around and I won't be moving forward with my plan to have a custom grille made.

I contacted their team with something pretty specific. After spending a bunch of time with reference photos, photoshop and color palettes I created a grille example for them which I thought would be pretty easy to achieve based on what they've done in the past. One of their team members contacted me back excited about the idea and was going to give me a quote and ETA on the job.

I then proceeded to wait 10 days before contacting them back with a follow-up. No response.

10 additional days later I contacted them back again. No response.

Finally today I contacted them back saying I'd like to cancel the order and they responded back immediately with an apology but still no quote, eta or reason why they can't provide me a quote for the work.

Needless to say if any of you are looking to have a custom grille made, good luck. In my opinion they should remove that option from their site.

Waiting 26 days for a quote with still no response is unacceptable for any manufacturer.

May 3, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #874 of 1,032
has anyone who has the rosson heard the hifiman edition xs and if so, did you by any chance like the XS better?
I've heard them both. They are not even remotely close to one another.

The Rosson is closer to the Arya V3 or HE1000 V2 for technicalities if compared to HiFiMan.

I A/B'd the XS vs the Arya V3 and vastly preferred the Arya. The XS has a similar HiFiMan house sound but the XS is considerably more V shaped. Quite a bit more bass and quite a bit spicier in the treble.

The Rosson doesn't sound like any of the HiFiMan's that i've tried. HiFiMan's house sound is quite lean and dry by comparison. The Rosson's have the warmth of a ZMF with technicalities closer to an LCD 4.

May 4, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #875 of 1,032
I've heard them both. They are not even remotely close to one another.

The Rosson is closer to the Arya V3 or HE1000 V2 for technicalities if compared to HiFiMan.

I A/B'd the XS vs the Arya V3 and vastly preferred the Arya. The XS has a similar HiFiMan house sound but the XS is considerably more V shaped. Quite a bit more bass and quite a bit spicier in the treble.

The Rosson doesn't sound like any of the HiFiMan's that i've tried. HiFiMan's house sound is quite lean and dry by comparison. The Rosson's have the warmth of a ZMF with technicalities closer to an LCD 4.
Agree with this. For me, RAD-0 tonality was closest to my Blackwood Auteur of all my cans -- not close to the HEKv2 I owned concurrently. And it was actually very close in tonality to my Auteur.

Also agree RAD-0 technicalities are top-notch.

My cans at the time were Auteur, HEKv2, Ether 2, Empyrean, RAD-0. I sold Empyrean to keep RAD-0 -- eventually sold RAD-0 when I got a Heddphone.

Hope that helps.

May 10, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #876 of 1,032
I see revisions. I bought 6 rad’s since day one 4 years ago. My first set was Acid Jazz think it was 24 or 34 than every time I look at their page I sell the one I have for new look. This time went boring with solid color but boring is relative to normal Rad’s. So Moon Audio had Cinnamon and I jumped. Last pic is normal light showing y’all nothing is far out on this one.

The pads have been fixed, they use to be a mushy pillow that didn’t do any wonders for the sound. Pads are uniform and correct amount of stiffness to keep them proper and still comfy.

These sound way better than original Rad. Sorry Alex, comfort is still in need of work.

So entire package is nice 8 ft cable
Nice metal card with my name on it
Stickers 3 total
Audeze foam inside earpads

If these go up it’s because I’m buying another design. These are how I wanted it to sound 4 years ago grabbing my soul. Don’t stop keep grabbing me.

Attachments

• DB519770-D5A0-4070-89E2-4E39D95B4076.jpeg
    DB519770-D5A0-4070-89E2-4E39D95B4076.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
May 10, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #877 of 1,032
I see revisions. I bought 6 rad’s since day one 4 years ago. My first set was Acid Jazz think it was 24 or 34 than every time I look at their page I sell the one I have for new look. This time went boring with solid color but boring is relative to normal Rad’s. So Moon Audio had Cinnamon and I jumped. Last pic is normal light showing y’all nothing is far out on this one.

The pads have been fixed, they use to be a mushy pillow that didn’t do any wonders for the sound. Pads are uniform and correct amount of stiffness to keep them proper and still comfy.

These sound way better than original Rad. Sorry Alex, comfort is still in need of work.

So entire package is nice 8 ft cable
Nice metal card with my name on it
Stickers 3 total
Audeze foam inside earpads

If these go up it’s because I’m buying another design. These are how I wanted it to sound 4 years ago grabbing my soul. Don’t stop keep grabbing me.
Like that color. Candy Apple Red :)

May 10, 2022 at 11:51 PM Post #879 of 1,032
They labeled it Cinnamon.
I'm looking for grills for some pop. Copper
I've been waiting 6 weeks since my initial contact with Rosson to receive a quote for a custom grille. I've even reached out to @alexrosson directly with no response. I wish I could say good things about their service but I've had a really negative time dealing with them this time around.

I wish you the best of luck trying to get what you want from them.

May 11, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #881 of 1,032
Crapy headphone, crapy support...
Nope. RAD-0 is one of the best headphones for sound quality I’ve ever heard. Clear MG is a hilariously bad headphone so clearly we have different tastes. All good though. This hobby is really subjective so everyone is welcome to their own opinions.

This is my first negative experience with the Rosson team after exceptional experiences on multiple occasions so I’m begrudgingly giving them a pass.

May 11, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #883 of 1,032
Headphones are like the government we're all divided
Yup. I fully agree with that statement. What could be my favorite headphone might be another person's worst headphone and neither of us are wrong.

May 11, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #884 of 1,032
Im in process of doing copper grills. Oliver gave me platted or not as my choices. I'm doing platted being cheaper.

May 12, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #885 of 1,032
Agree with this. For me, RAD-0 tonality was closest to my Blackwood Auteur of all my cans -- not close to the HEKv2 I owned concurrently. And it was actually very close in tonality to my Auteur.

Also agree RAD-0 technicalities are top-notch.

My cans at the time were Auteur, HEKv2, Ether 2, Empyrean, RAD-0. I sold Empyrean to keep RAD-0 -- eventually sold RAD-0 when I got a Heddphone.

Hope that helps.
To derail the thread a tad here, I'm currently between getting a heddphone and a rad-0.

If you've got a few moments to spare, do you have any thoughts on both headphones? It sounds like you ended up preferring the heddphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back