Rosson Audio Design RAD-0 - Alex's Beautiful New Baby
Dec 5, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #706 of 1,038
After removal of the stitched and glued cross-pad, strategic placement of Dekoni nuggets..This, to me, provides full support and requires a little extension downwards of the speakers which lightens the clamp pressure. 408D1AAD-DF5D-443F-AEBC-902475726EE1.jpeg

Dec 9, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #707 of 1,038
Hey gang been reviewing the the Rad-0 and absolutely digging it so far. Curious if you all have a favorite amp/Dac to run with it? Sorry if this question has already been asked!

MR

I'm on day one with my Rad-0, so gigantic grain of salt, they sound absolutely spectacular with my WA5 EML 300X tubes, but on the go they are quite good with my DX220/Amp 9.

Dec 9, 2020 at 10:43 PM Post #708 of 1,038
One day one with the RAD-0, the tone on these cans is incredible, much like my VC. Just listening to Roger Waters, ”In the Flesh.” Wrapping up with this thread, and I stopped and took the headphones off to see what the Hell my dogs were barking at when it was the damned dogs of war!

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #709 of 1,038
I took my RAD-0 out for listening tonight. After failing the HD-600 headband pad nuggets experiment a few weeks ago, I was a bit surprised that I found a wearing position (resting the headband towards a bit towards the rear) which is quite comfortable with the stock headband pad. I am in my 4th hour of listening now I am not feeling any discomfort.

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #710 of 1,038
I took my RAD-0 out for listening tonight. After failing the HD-600 headband pad nuggets experiment a few weeks ago, I was a bit surprised that I found a wearing position (resting the headband towards a bit towards the rear) which is quite comfortable with the stock headband pad. I am in my 4th hour of listening now I am not feeling any discomfort.

Interesting, I'll give that a shot tonight, I absolutely love the sound of the RAD-0, comfort, not so much.

Dec 12, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #711 of 1,038
Okay, finally fired up the WA5 with the RAD-0, why, besides comfort, are these not getting more love on Head-Fi?!?!? These are incredible, equals to my other favorite cans, the Verite Closed, the best tonal accuracy out there, fantastic bass, resolution, really world-class. I've owned 1266 (original, I haven't heard the TC), VO, VC, HD800, 650, HE6, HE560, Empyrean, and the RAD-0 is superior to every one of them (save the VC and VO, the RAD-0’s dynamic soulmate). They are easy to drive, sounding great with both my DX220 and 160, my little Vorzüge Pure II, and the WA5.

My Dekoni Nuggets are on the way, but the fiddle factor on these is much lower than the Abyss, any thoughts?

Dec 12, 2020 at 12:54 AM Post #712 of 1,038
Okay, finally fired up the WA5 with the RAD-0, why, besides comfort, are these not getting more love on Head-Fi?!?!? These are incredible, equals to my other favorite cans, the Verite Closed, the best tonal accuracy out there, fantastic bass, resolution, really world-class. I've owned 1266 (original, I haven't heard the TC), VO, VC, HD800, 650, HE6, HE560, Empyrean, and the RAD-0 is superior to every one of them (save the VC and VO, the RAD-0’s dynamic soulmate). They are easy to drive, sounding great with both my DX220 and 160, my little Vorzüge Pure II, and the WA5.

My Dekoni Nuggets are on the way, but the fiddle factor on these is much lower than the Abyss, any thoughts?
Check out the photograph of my RAD-0s on post #706 of this thread.

Dec 12, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #713 of 1,038
Check out the photograph of my RAD-0s on post #706 of this thread.

Thanks, my Dekoni Nuggets should be here tomorrow, I'll try to mimic your install. Would you mind posting some more pictures?

Dec 12, 2020 at 4:34 AM Post #714 of 1,038

LOL! RAD-0 are not even near Abyss 1266...
IMO they are worse than LCD-4 or Final D8000.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2020 at 2:47 PM Post #715 of 1,038
LOL! RAD-0 are not even near Abyss 1266...
IMO they are worse than LCD-4 or Final D8000.

I didn’t include the LCD4 in my post, because I haven’t owned them, and I stand by my opinion, even though it may differ from yours. That the RAD-0 are a superior overall headphone to the original 1266. It has far better tone, ie., it saounds more like “real” music. The 1266 has a far better soundstage, and digs marginally deeper in the bass. Though taken in total, in my value system, correct tone is the more important criteria. Once again I pointed out clearly this is the original only.

This is why I also believe the VC and VO superior to all of the cans I mentioned as well, but that is my opinion, you are free to have your own.

Dec 12, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #716 of 1,038
the original abyss is 5 or 6 yrs old...the current TC is a completely different beast and is in a different league than the rosson and I am not denigrating nor taking anything away from the rosson

Dec 12, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #718 of 1,038
the original abyss is 5 or 6 yrs old...the current TC is a completely different beast and is in a different league than the rosson and I am not denigrating nor taking anything away from the rosson

I agree, which is why I tried to make it clear was talking only about the original, which is a great headphone, and also didn't mention some of the other fantastic headphones in your system, because I haven't done comparisons in my system. Everyone has different sonic priorities and preferences, like the very upfront staging of the RAD-0, I don't mind it, but it may be a deal breaker for the next guy.

Wrong thread, but how would you compare some of the top Kennerton offerings to your reference headphones?

Dec 12, 2020 at 4:14 PM Post #719 of 1,038
There. Fixed it for you.
everything is opinion obviously but I do think if you asked a cross section of people on this forum to compare the rosson to the abyss TC I think the results would be pretty overwhelming...

Dec 12, 2020 at 6:08 PM Post #720 of 1,038
everything is opinion obviously but I do think if you asked a cross section of people on this forum to compare the rosson to the abyss TC I think the results would be pretty overwhelming...

I think you’re probably right. I’ve read a lot of praise for that headphone. I have actually never heard any iteration of the Abyss 1266, so I don’t have a dog in the game. I just feel like everyone is entitled to their opinion.

That said, I have owned the Abyss Diana V2, and was greatly unimpressed with it. I couldn’t sell it fast enough. I want to hear the Rad O very badly, but all the complaints about its comfort and clamping force keeps me away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back