Rose Technology Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 12, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #1,231 of 1,255
So have the QT9 MK2s in hand now, and have been doing a bit of listening (hasn't fully burned in if you're a believer in that, so take it as you will). First of all I am impressed by the degree of change from the OG MK2, it is clear that this is a substantial revision and not a somewhat pointless reissue a la the NF Audio NA2+. There is a much more homogenous sound to these; while the first version had a very meaty bass response combined with a rather airy midrange and treble, this new version has a markedly more balanced tonality. The bass is still elevated (slightly more so in the sub-bass than mid-bass, though there is still some good meat to the mid-bass), the midrange is only slightly recessed but retains a good sense of fullness, male vocals are much better bodied than the original, and the treble is nicely detailed and extended but without harshness or sibilance.

Personally I don't hear the shoutiness or bright-leaning sound that @ian91 reports (we all have different sensitivities of course). The overall feel to me is a bit on the relaxed side; from initial listening, this is partly due to fairly soft leading edges to the transients, and the bass in particular (despite the elevation) has a rather soft impact and consequently a more atmospheric presentation. In addition, there is a quite sizable anti-sibilance scoop between 6/7-10K which softens the sound and does skimp out on some instrumental harmonics as Ian noted. On the other hand, BA timbre is quite well controlled due in large part, I suspect, to these tuning choices. Soundstage is not the widest in absolutely terms although it is fairly well-proportioned (good width and height, lacking somewhat in depth), and while imaging has very good localization, there is not a lot of air between the instruments and things do seem to get somewhat congested/compressed centrally when there's a lot going on in the recording.

Comfort and ergonomics remain unparalleled among hybrids. Accessories have been greatly upgraded as well: better cable, better tips, spare filters and MMCX tool included (as well as a 6.5mm adapter like before).

My initial take is that these aren't the set for those looking for a mindblowing display of raw technical ability; but if you want a more relaxed and balanced tuning that retains good detail while boasting above-average coherence and timbre for a hybrid then these could very well fit the bill.

Will report more later and do a full write-up eventually.

Glad it's an significant revision anyway. I heard coherency was an issue with the first so atleast that's changed.

Personal experiences, tolerances and semantics are all at play here but I hear these as thin and bright, despite the upper mid scoop.

I need more time with them, they have an appeal...

Love the picture by the way - what lens are you using?

May 12, 2022 at 5:54 PM Post #1,233 of 1,255
Thanks! It’s a Zeiss Batis 40mm on the A7IV. Love the Batis line.

Very appealing bokeh! I looked into the Batis line but eventually ended up with the Voigtlander apo lanthar series. Still may get a Batis yet!

May 12, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #1,234 of 1,255
Personal experiences, tolerances and semantics are all at play here but I hear these as thin and bright, despite the upper mid scoop.
I think context (at least for me) is also a major psychological factor in short-term impressions. I’ve been listening to the Smabat M3 Pro recently, which is by all accounts rather thin and bright. If I’d been coming from say the ISN H40 my impression might be quite different, without further listening.

May 12, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #1,235 of 1,255
Very appealing bokeh! I looked into the Batis line but eventually ended up with the Voigtlander apo lanthar series. Still may get a Batis yet!
Voigtlander lenses are a dream, especially the apo models. If I didn’t shoot events with some frequency I would have gone with them over the Batis models probably, but MF only just won’t cut it for all use cases and I’m not made of cash.

Batis is a bit overpriced at MSRP too, but for instance the 135mm if you get it on sale is an absolutely stunning lens despite being f/2.8 when the competition is generally faster.

May 15, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #1,236 of 1,255
This reviewer really loves the Rose QT-9 MK2S

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #1,237 of 1,255
Been doing some more listening, I am actually really impressed by the timbre on the Mk2s. Very much above average for hybrids, even approaching DD level on stringed instruments etc. Cohesiveness is also really good, not single-driver level of course, but quite well done nonetheless.

Also I have to revise my early impression of the Mk2s' transient response: the BAs are definitely sharper on the leading edge than I initially gave them credit for.

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #1,238 of 1,255
Been doing some more listening, I am actually really impressed by the timbre on the Mk2s. Very much above average for hybrids, even approaching DD level on stringed instruments etc. Cohesiveness is also really good, not single-driver level of course, but quite well done nonetheless.

Also I have to revise my early impression of the Mk2s' transient response: the BAs are definitely sharper on the leading edge than I initially gave them credit for.
How does it approach Dynamic Driver on string instruments, when in fact it IS a Dynamic Driver?

Last edited:
May 15, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #1,239 of 1,255
How does it approach Dynamic Driver on string instruments, when in fact it IS a Dynamic Driver?
I thought it was pretty clear I was talking about the portion of the FR handled by the BAs, sorry.

May 15, 2022 at 3:36 PM Post #1,240 of 1,255
May 15, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #1,241 of 1,255
I can’t believe the stuff I’m reading on-line about the Rose QT-9 MK2S, one reviewer said he missed the IEM when he took it off. Haha

May 15, 2022 at 4:44 PM Post #1,242 of 1,255
I can’t believe the stuff I’m reading on-line about the Rose QT-9 MK2S, one reviewer said he missed the IEM when he took it off. Haha
It's very competent and a good all-round package without doubt. I can't really envision anyone hating it. I'm not sure I've gotten a taste of some "special sauce" yet though.

May 17, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #1,243 of 1,255
The Rose QT-9 mk2s are incredibly detailed, they have outstanding separation, placement on stage, and a wonderful articulation. The bass is fast and tight...all very good. However they give/gave me a headache after a few minutes. Reason is the overenergized, bright midrange. Vocals are lean and breathy (which adds to excellent midrange clarity and spatial reconstruction)....and sharp. Higher trumpet notes, and even high oboe notes just pierced my eardrums.

I do understand what the tuning is aiming to achieve: technical perfection and appealing to a certain listener preference...but it has to work with all human ears.

So I experimented with micropore tape on the nozzle (how to do that), but finally arrived at this solution: I lifted the nozzle screens off and added a low-density foam while staring into a BA driver that used to blur unfeathered into my ears. The foam works like the screen on a Hifi loudspeaker.

This rounded the edges, added body to the midrange/increased note weight, and lifted the stage's ceiling. I had previously tried the medium-density foams but they muddled the bass.

The other thing I did is replace the stock tips with the Spinfit CP100 for deeper insertion, considering the short nozzles.

Problem solved. Maybe Rose should offer two versions of this model: one for the Asian markets and a dialed-back one for the Western markets.

IMG_0710.jpg
IMG_0641.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0710.jpg
    IMG_0710.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 17, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #1,245 of 1,255
The graph of the unmoved iem is not indicative of icepicking...

The pinna plateau on the MK2S is sustained a lot better than the MK2, which had a rather abrupt peak which I felt made male vocals especially a lot thinner and less bodied than they come across on the new model. Definitely the MK2S is still geared much more toward female than male vocals, but I think the tuning is markedly improved on the new model all around (though I am of two minds about the less visceral bass).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back