Rooth LS8 Custom IEM Review: Crystal Clear Power & Dynamics
Aug 14, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #31 of 65
Check it, put your PC monitor on max brightness and look at the clear shell, I think there's space there?!

It seems to be done for - a) aesthetics, b) venting.

You know what I think someone sent their Final Audio in for a reshell and driver upgrade, which would make sense since FA use vented and proprietary drivers, either that or Rooth is just being exotic.

Aug 14, 2011 at 9:26 PM Post #32 of 65

Quote:
Hmmm that seems interesting. Based on the fact that they are a branch of UM, could it possibly just be a rebranded UM Merlin?

They're not a branch of UM, that's like saying Apple is a branch of Dell because they both make their computers in the same laboratory in China.

Apples are not rebranded Dells.

Aug 15, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #33 of 65

Quote:
...I tell ya they're indeed sticking out.

Quote:
Check it, put your PC monitor on max brightness and look at the clear shell, I think there's space there?!

It seems to be done for - a) aesthetics, b) venting.

You know what I think someone sent their Final Audio in for a reshell and driver upgrade, which would make sense since FA use vented and proprietary drivers, either that or Rooth is just being exotic.

While I have seen a driver sticking out of a custom IEM shell before, a JH on headfonia.com, and you can see a JH16 where it looks like the drivers are coming out the shell here, but they are not.  The reason it looks like that is they attach the driver to the shell resulting in that look.

Nov 21, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #35 of 65
Hi, I'm undecided between UM Miracle and Rooth LS8. I can get UM Miracle for $830. I'm wondering if there is that much difference. Would Miracle with treble booster equal to the treble of LS8?

The only high end IEM I own is the Monster Turbine Pro Copper. I have heard the Bose Quiet and Comfort 15. 

Thanks for the help.

Dec 6, 2011 at 11:38 AM Post #36 of 65
My head is about to burst trying to read through the "Multi Custom IEM review" thread... 

Steamed at page 18 with all the extrapolated links!!! 

I'm impressed with this LS8 but am hoping secretly that UE18 is a better fit for me for long term listening on the go.. 

Dec 7, 2011 at 1:10 AM Post #37 of 65
Thanks for reading!  

Not having heard the UE18 I can't really comment other than the UE18 is made by the same person that made the UERM.  The UE18 is similar to the JH16 and LS8, but supposedly needs a better source path to really shine.

Jan 3, 2012 at 4:25 AM Post #40 of 65

Quote:
There is a lot to like about these, but very different than the SA-43. Let me know if you have any questions. 

That's the impression (no pun intended) I've been getting reading up on both. Which is good, as I like exploring different presentations of sound rather than searching for one in particular. I'll probably end up with both eventually.

Thanks for all the information you've provided and continue to offer. It's much appreciated.

Jan 4, 2012 at 3:57 AM Post #42 of 65
Will do!

I tried the CK10 earlier today and really liked their sound. Reading how the LS8 compares to them, I'm thinking the LS8 will be the best bet for my first high-end customs. I'm in the US, so I'm wondering what the best approach would be to ordering. Should I go through Null Audio? Or Rooth directly?

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #43 of 65
The LS8 is the CK10 on steroids while the Hidition NT-6 is the CK10 all grown up vs. a baby!

Here is my comparison between the LS8 and NT-6 from my upcoming NT-6 review:

While these two aren't too different, they do have different frequency response characteristics and presentation difference.  The LS8 is warmer with more bass punch compared to a brighter sound with NT-6.  Both have very airy sounds and give a complete, well rounded presentations but the NT-6 has a little more overall space and a better 3D space, although not nearly as large of a disparity as with the JH16.  But, the NT-6 has better imaging, clarity, and transparency while detail levels, resolution, and speed are similar.  The LS8 holds the edge in smoothness, with a more liquid presentation that is more forgiving compared with the more analytical NT-6.

With more bass and warmth, the LS8 is a capable performer, however the NT-6 bests the LS8 in reproducing sub-bass rumble and sounds just slightly more precise in direct comparison.  Other than some minor quality differences, the bass quality is similar.  The midrange is similar between these two except the NT-6 has better imaging by a bit along with the tonal differences of vocals due to the warmth differences.  In the upper midrange the LS8 has a peak while the NT-6 has a bump, but much less prominent, and it carries over into the treble.  The LS8 can have a tendency to accentuate the occasional sharp 'S' while this isn't an issue with the NT-6.  The treble flip-flopped for me, with some tracks being more forgiving and liquid with the LS8 while other tracks that were mastered better sounded silky smooth with the NT-6, leaving the LS8 behind.

Both are good and perform at exceptional levels.  The LS8 has a more forgiving and liquid presentation giving a more musical experience with a warmer and more bass centric sound.  Conversely the NT-6 has a treble emphasis in comparison along with a more analytical sound.  Technically the LS8 performs similarly in many ways, but the NT-6 is technically more competent with a superior overall soundstage recreation.    

Jan 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #45 of 65
Contact them both and see which you prefer.  I have had contact with both and have more experience with Null, which provided me with good service, however I dealt directly with Rooth for my LS8, so there may also be that option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back