Roon is live
Dec 1, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #676 of 701
Dec 1, 2023 at 3:59 AM Post #677 of 701
Dec 1, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #678 of 701
I hope so. My system is carefully built around Roon.

Dec 1, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #679 of 701
My worry is that the parent will demand special treatment. For example, will Samsung get a better version of Roon than everyone else? Or get features others won't? Or get updates much earlier? Hopefully I'm just being paranoid.

Dec 1, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #680 of 701
now, can we get a Windows Roon ARC app? Haha.

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:03 AM Post #681 of 701
I recently purchased the Nucleus and it is a huge improvement over the NUC i was using. so much more stable.

Jan 1, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #683 of 701
What issues were you having with your NUC? I bought a used NUC 10 i3 two years ago and it has worked flawlessly for me.
It had windows on it. It wasn't rock. And at least once a week sometimes more it would kick out of roon and I would have to hook a keyboard and monitor to it and go back in and reload roon.

Jan 1, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #684 of 701
It had windows on it. It wasn't rock. And at least once a week sometimes more it would kick out of roon and I would have to hook a keyboard and monitor to it and go back in and reload roon.
Agreed. ROCK more stable than the Windows or MacOS software.

I’ve had Roon running on my NAS last 3 years. Other than an occasional reboot (necessary for NAS), no issues.

Jan 1, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #685 of 701
Agreed. ROCK more stable than the Windows or MacOS software.

I’ve had Roon running on my NAS last 3 years. Other than an occasional reboot (necessary for NAS), no issues.
Yes…I looked into wiping the NUC and putting Rock on it…but couldnt find anyone willing to take on the project….so I decided just to bite the bullet with the deal that Moon Audio was having at the time (free internal hard drive).

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:33 PM Post #686 of 701
If I read it correcorrectly, Roon will remain as independent unit of Harman.
That would mean no significant changes for us current users
Based on many decades in the Corp. World, I believe that they believe, that no changes will be made. However, I'd be extremely skeptical that no significant changes will be made in the next year or two, based on personal experience. Hopefully, the changes will be positive. Not all change is bad :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Leo

Jan 1, 2024 at 2:24 PM Post #687 of 701
Based on many decades in the Corp. World, I believe that they believe, that no changes will be made. However, I'd be extremely skeptical that no significant changes will be made in the next year or two, based on personal experience. Hopefully, the changes will be positive. Not all change is bad :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Leo
+1 and for us who signed up for "life", we can only wait in eager anticipation :dt880smile: Happy New Year

Jan 1, 2024 at 2:30 PM Post #688 of 701
My ROCK on NUC has been Rock Solid since 2018. Wow…6 years gone
Love Roon for what it offers.

Jan 1, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #689 of 701
My ROCK on NUC has been Rock Solid since 2018. Wow…6 years gone
Love Roon for what it offers.
Yes…. I think if it ran Rock instead of windows….it would have ran perfect.

Jan 1, 2024 at 3:07 PM Post #690 of 701

Leo
The big shake ups are definitely coming, but the big issue is not Roon’s new corporate owners. Streaming—in both music and video—is still losing money and is financially unsustainable in its current form. Despite big initial investments, no one has started making (enough) money. Thankfully, Roon is not in the music licensing business, but it is dependent on the health of two niche music services.

It’s easy to imagine a near future in which Roon becomes something much more like BluOS: tied to specific hardware and/or licensed to other manufacturers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back