Roon is live
Dec 15, 2022 at 11:44 AM Post #616 of 705
Trying to get ready for this. Just found another complication. My desktop monitor which I was going to use to do this does not have an HDMI input. Now I will have to use my laptop monitor(if that is possible) or haul a 40" tv from the bedroom. I was going to use the mouse from the desktop for navigation but if I have to use if for following instructions that idea is gone and the mouse for the laptop is USB-C. guess I can do instruction following on the Ipad but not my favorite way for browsing.

DVI?

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Basics-Adapter-Cable-1-Pack/dp/B014I8UQJY?th=1

Dec 15, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #617 of 705
I think I will be ok on that front if I can use the laptop as a monitor. I will use the desktop for flashing and following instructions. Looks like USPS has let me down and delivery will be tomorrow. One more day for anxiety to build.
I don't think you will be able to use the laptop as the monitor. You usually need software to make that happen and the NUC won't have any software that can be used to make it happen.

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #618 of 705
Trying to get ready for this. Just found another complication. My desktop monitor which I was going to use to do this does not have an HDMI input. Now I will have to use my laptop monitor(if that is possible) or haul a 40" tv from the bedroom. I was going to use the mouse from the desktop for navigation but if I have to use if for following instructions that idea is gone and the mouse for the laptop is USB-C. guess I can do instruction following on the Ipad but not my favorite way for browsing.
For time like this
Active 4K HDMI to Displayport 1.2... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Q3VDXN8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #619 of 705
I don't think you will be able to use the laptop as the monitor. You usually need software to make that happen and the NUC won't have any software that can be used to make it happen.
Yeah, I am getting that. The desktop monitor does have a DVI port. I would have to order that adapter and wait for delivery. I will go with the TV option. Does anybody have a technical objection to using the tv other than it is a pain in the ass?

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #620 of 705
Yeah, I am getting that. The desktop monitor does have a DVI port. I would have to order that adapter and wait for delivery. I will go with the TV option. Does anybody have a technical objection to using the tv other than it is a pain in the ass?

Note that some NUCs have an oddball mini-hdmi socket rather than standard HDMI...

Dec 15, 2022 at 12:48 PM Post #621 of 705
The unit is Nuc8i5bek with HDMI2.0a. Pretty sure this is a standard socket. I can get the DVI adapter by Saturday with Prime. I am just tired of getting nickel and dimed to death with this thing.

Dec 16, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #622 of 705
I received the Nuc. All seems in order. I did not open it to verify the drive and memory but the seller posted actual photos and the less I mess with it the better. It does have a standard HDMI socket. I have ordered the DVI adapter and it will arrive tomorrow. I can foresee circumstance where I might want to hook up a monitor again and moving a 40" tv around would be too hard. I downloaded the Bios update and watched the video (Thanks @bearFNF).
Now a question. The flash drive came formatted ExFAt32 by default. It also has files on it.
BE0090.bio(this is the BIOS update)
Install Sandisk Hardware dmg 540KB
Install Sandisk Hardware application 691 KB
pdf Sandisk Software Microsoft Edge P... 294 KB

Should I attempt to delete these three files before attempting the Bios update. I am fairly certain the file referring to Edge is not necessary but not sure about the other two.

Tomorrow will be the big day. Thanks for your help. I may need more tomorrow.:thinking:

Dec 16, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #623 of 705
I received the Nuc. All seems in order. I did not open it to verify the drive and memory but the seller posted actual photos and the less I mess with it the better. It does have a standard HDMI socket. I have ordered the DVI adapter and it will arrive tomorrow. I can foresee circumstance where I might want to hook up a monitor again and moving a 40" tv around would be too hard. I downloaded the Bios update and watched the video (Thanks @bearFNF).
Now a question. The flash drive came formatted ExFAt32 by default. It also has files on it.
BE0090.bio(this is the BIOS update)
Install Sandisk Hardware dmg 540KB
Install Sandisk Hardware application 691 KB
pdf Sandisk Software Microsoft Edge P... 294 KB

Should I attempt to delete these three files before attempting the Bios update. I am fairly certain the file referring to Edge is not necessary but not sure about the other two.

Tomorrow will be the big day. Thanks for your help. I may need more tomorrow.:thinking:
I always reformat the thumb drives I get so never have used the software that comes with them. They look to be Sandisks security and disk management programs??

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #624 of 705
Hi guys, Don't know whether this is the right place to ask: I am running Roon from an 2019 iMac => SOtM sMS-200 Ultra Neo => iDSD Pro => iDSD ICAN,
Considering buying a Nucleus and have 2 questions: Will it make the SOtM streamer redundant? and will there be any other noticeable improvements (I know Nucleus is expensive, but this is the option I am exploring)...
Thanks

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #625 of 705
Hi guys, Don't know whether this is the right place to ask: I am running Roon from an 2019 iMac => SOtM sMS-200 Ultra Neo => iDSD Pro => iDSD ICAN,
Considering buying a Nucleus and have 2 questions: Will it make the SOtM streamer redundant? and will there be any other noticeable improvements (I know Nucleus is expensive, but this is the option I am exploring)...
Thanks
What are you using as Roon endpoints?
Are you using the Nucleus to replace the iMac as your core?

Yes the SotM will be redundant unless you are using it as an endpoint. I'm sure people will tell you that the Nucleus will sound better than the iMac, but its strength is having your Roon core on a separate, dedicated unit. It likely is overpriced for what it actually does, but if you have the money, go for it. It's a one stop solution for Roon and doesn't need any DIY.

I went the NAS route so I could also have Plex, a cloud sever, etc... You could also go NUC to have a cheaper alternative to Nucleus. However, both require some DIY. It's not terribly difficult though.

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #626 of 705
What are you using as Roon endpoints?
Are you using the Nucleus to replace the iMac as your core?

Yes the SotM will be redundant unless you are using it as an endpoint. I'm sure people will tell you that the Nucleus will sound better than the iMac, but its strength is having your Roon core on a separate, dedicated unit. It likely is overpriced for what it actually does, but if you have the money, go for it. It's a one stop solution for Roon and doesn't need any DIY.

I went the NAS route so I could also have Plex, a cloud sever, etc... You could also go NUC to have a cheaper alternative to Nucleus. However, both require some DIY. It's not terribly difficult though.
Thanks - I use my SOtM as endpoint and the Nucleus is to replace the iMac. Is very happy with SOtM. Other endpoint is Sonos Port...

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #627 of 705
Got everything up and running this weekend. Everything went fairly smoothly with just one glitch. After the BIOS update I initially forgot to change BIOS settings to allow Rock to download. After I figured that out everything went well. I got my convolution filter migrated and my PEQ filters rebuilt(just the two I was using). I got my library on a USB thumb drive set up. The Nuc would not recognize the SD card so that was the way I had to go.

Roon Remote seems to be more responsive using Rock. I don't believe there is any sonic advantage to using Rock but probably still too early to tell. I was not really expecting an improvement and now could not probably tell any way. My second Tak 274B in three years fried itself last night and I am on my backup(USAF 596).

Thank you all who helped me through this. I very much appreciate it.:relaxed:

Dec 20, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #629 of 705
Hey I have tidal and was wondering if roon works on iPad/iphone to eq?

Yes, any EQ or DSP is done at the core rather than the endpoint, so it works on everything that Roon supports.

Dec 20, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #630 of 705
You cannot install a convolution filter from an Ipad. You can use it but not install it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back