Romi Audio - The official thread
Oct 26, 2020 at 7:08 AM Post #65 of 928
About 7 hours. Regarding your other question, I don't know of any German cable makers, but Forza are in Poland and they do a fine job. I have Plussound 4.4mm interconnect coming to me this week, but they're in US.

Can you please point me to the cable you have on the website of Forza? I am not able to find it. Thank you.

Oct 26, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #75 of 928
You wrote in your review about the AWKT that it's better without the amp

And here you wrote that the Lotoo benefits from the BX2. Isn't it a contradiction?
Here it is (test track Metallica "Wherever I May Roam," 24/192 FLAC). Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable. Please also note that my overview review was with BX2 1st gen. I'm now using BX2 Plus (2nd gen). I'm running everything in non-balanced SE mode.

1. AWKT and Paw 6000K: volume on 70, lots of headroom to spare. Lots of detail, soundstage is ample but not as large as ZMF Veritie Closed.
2. AWKT w/Paw 6000K and BX2 Plus (line out mode): bass hits hard and extends deeper, details pop to the foreground, soundstage is wider. Layering and separation is better. Tonality remains the same.

Overview: difference here is notable but not like going from one headphone to another. If you plugged the AWKT directly into the Lotoo Paw 6000 and never heard the BX2, you'd probably be content. But after hearing the combo, the Paw 6000K doesn't sound as sharp and refined as paired with the BX2 Plus. It's not soft or smooth by any means, but the BX2 Plus renders the AWKT way more resolving.

3. AWKT w/Hugo 2. This beats everything hands down. This is an awesome pairing. The Hugo 2 brings the AWKT to life in a way the other sources can't touch. Depth, soundstage, resolution, everything is just TOTL. This is why I'm spending a great deal of time looking for a TOTL desktop class-a amp to pair with the Hugo 2, because I feel the amp section is almost perfect as it is. The only way it could be improved is by having more power, which may in turn generate a wider soundstage.

4. Bonus: AWKT w/Hugo 2 and BX2 Plus. This is also a superb pairing, though it feels a tad warmer than Hugo 2 on its own. Because of this, I feel transparency is muddled a little. Not as tight as Hugo 2 on its own.

So, yes, in a sense the contradiction remains - in some occasions, the AWKT benefits from being paired with the BX2 Plus, but with the Hugo 2, it benefits from a "pure" interface. Everything here depends on synergy, so I can't really give you an unequivocal reply, but certainly if you have an under-powered dap, then 100% the BX2 Plus will be a welcome addition to your arsenal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back