rolled some fuses - this is what I heard
Dec 17, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #16 of 137
Right, I just meant the theory behind not using a fuse, which is why I prefaced it with "not safe." I wouldn't do it, but maybe it would prove something about one fuse versus another.
tongue.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 10:19 PM Post #17 of 137
I have a few Hifi fuses coming any day now to try out.

One thing that I have done with stock fuses that has improved my sound is paint the ends of the fuses with a thin coating of Xtreme Cables Quicksilver Contact Enhancer. It is cheaper then upgrading a bunch of fuses. I don't like using this stuff on RCA terminations as it is too messy. I have found that on tube pins and fuses it works great.

Dec 20, 2007 at 9:31 AM Post #18 of 137
Holy Cow! It's fuses now?

Is there anything you lot don't upgrade?

And fuse burn-in?

And silver coating the fuse?

I mean, they're fuses!
confused.gif

20mm of metal wire in the audio chain. 20 millimeters. That's less the width of my little finger!

Honestly, who has the time to trial/burn-in fuses? Doesn't anyone have any other hobbies/passions/things to do in general that could see some of that time spent on fuses?

Sorry if this post seems pointless but I just can't comprehend what's being discussed here...

In all seriousness, "Spiug31" and co, do you really hear audible differences when you change the fuse in the plugs of your audio gear?

redface.gif

EK

Dec 20, 2007 at 11:04 AM Post #19 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking

Ears ?
wink.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking
In all seriousness, "Spiug31" and co, do you really hear audible differences when you change the fuse in the plugs of your audio gear?

My audio gear is battery powered so I haven't rolled fuses in a mains plug (yet
wink.gif
) but certainly changing the fuse in my capacitor bank has a noticeable effect.

Get a Hi-Fi tuning or Padis fuse from eBay and try for yourself - you know you want to
very_evil_smiley.gif

What has made the most impression on me though has been the plummet in detail and sound quality now that I have had to renew the quicksilver contact enhancer on my fuse and fuse holder. I'm really, really, really, looking forward to that getting past the awkward stages and sounding good again.
rolleyes.gif
redface.gif
frown.gif

Dec 23, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #21 of 137
My two High-Fi Tuning fuses arrived and have been burning in for 48 hours. I put them in my Headroom Home Maxed SE amp. When they first arrived, two days ago, I did not notice that much of a difference, certainly not worth the expense,or so I thought... BUT... today after warming up my rig for an hour I sat down to listen to some tunes and WOW!!!!!!

I have done a lot of tweaks and cable upgrades but nothing has impacted my size of my SQ like these little fuses. I am sure it is cumulative with some great cables and gear but these things have taken my system to another level...I still can't believe what I am hearing! Upgrading fuses is the real deal, tweak.

Sure, come on trolls and cable haters you can bash away but for people who want to get the most out of their equipment, this is one tweak you have got to try.

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #22 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif

And fuse burn-in?

And silver coating the fuse?

I mean, they're fuses!
confused.gif

20mm of metal wire in the audio chain. 20 millimeters. That's less the width of my little finger!

Honestly, who has the time to trial/burn-in fuses? Doesn't anyone have any other hobbies/passions/things to do in general that could see some of that time spent on fuses?

Sorry if this post seems pointless but I just can't comprehend what's being discussed here...

redface.gif

EK

You crimp a hose how does that effect the water flow?

Jan 2, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #23 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoustic Chef /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Inside the ICs the connections are incredibly thin, far thinner than the fuse wire.

Jan 2, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #24 of 137
Quote:

Electrical current through wires and water through a hose are not at all similar, I'm afraid.

See ya
Steve

Jan 2, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #25 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Millheim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My two High-Fi Tuning fuses arrived and have been burning in for 48 hours. I put them in my Headroom Home Maxed SE amp. When they first arrived, two days ago, I did not notice that much of a difference, certainly not worth the expense,or so I thought... BUT... today after warming up my rig for an hour I sat down to listen to some tunes and WOW!

How does a fuse "warm up"?

See ya
Steve

Jan 2, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #26 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Electrical current through wires and water through a hose are not at all similar, I'm afraid.

See ya
Steve

Check out this link and think again.

Hydraulic analogy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #27 of 137
Quote:

So resistance is the keyfeature?
  1. Could you please put the limitations of the fuse in relation to the power consumption of an average headphone amplifier?
  1. How much energy is lost through resistance in the fuse, and how much is still left for the amp?
  1. How much does the amplifier need to feed it's own circuits and the headphone?
  1. How much energy do you gain by using a fuse with, let's say, half the resistance of the standard fuse?

Always putting aside, that the rest of the of the amp will have a much much smaller capability of using high currents than a standard fuse?

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #28 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out this link and think again.

Hydraulic analogy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Check the relations. The error in reasoning is not that the water analogy is not applicable. It's just that if you crimp a major pipeline, you can still fill your water gun with what's left behind the bottleneck.

Jan 2, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #29 of 137
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check the relations. The error in reasoning is not that the water analogy is not applicable. It's just that if you crimp a major pipeline, you can still fill your water gun with what's left behind the bottleneck.

Not if you can't access that water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back