Roll Call: Who's building, built, or thinking of building a beta22?
Aug 1, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #3,001 of 3,218
Yeah indeed. Building the amp is not hard. The enclosure/case part is the final step in DIY that takes the most time and sometimes most expensive part of the project if you want a perfect finished product.

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:37 AM Post #3,002 of 3,218
The enclosure was a pain to do.  I found a really old drill press in my dad's basement that fit a hand drill and used that to do my casework.  You can probably find one at your local home improvement store.  A triangle file and a couple of round files also helped a great deal to make larger holes and rectangular holes (like for the IEC power entry).  Of course my B22 was not a real pretty creation and it was made from aluminum, so it was relatively easy to file out the larger holes.  I was always planning to get some custom front panels done to give it a professional look, but once it is done and working, I really didn't care
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #3,004 of 3,218
I am fairly sure you could get something like that to work.  I did get a plastic front panel made for my O2 amp and I was in contact with the same guy to make similar front panels for my B22 and S22, but I never got around to planning them out!  I think the only thing you would need to do is ground the volume pot to the metal part of the case with a wire (if you are doing a 2 chassis build, not sure about single enclosure).

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #3,005 of 3,218
Does anyone have an estimated finished cost (not including housing) per board?

Also has anyone messed with the gamma dac?

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #3,008 of 3,218
Quote:

What do you mean by the finished cost per board? You can get the kit from glassjar for abt $100 per board with the parts? You'll have to solder it yourself though.
biggrin.gif

Answer I was looking for thanks. So realistically you will spend $300-$340 on just the naked hardware for a 3 channel setup. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #3,009 of 3,218
Quote:

Answer I was looking for thanks. So realistically you will spend $300-$340 on just the naked hardware for a 3 channel setup. 

No. You also have to factor in - casework (both chassis and external parts), power supply transformer and board/s, wiring, solder, soldering iron (if you don't have one), misc. tools. I might be missing something. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM Post #3,012 of 3,218
Quote:
Does anyone have an estimated finished cost (not including housing) per board?

Also has anyone messed with the gamma dac?

I built myself a Gamma2 dac right after I finished my B22.  The only challenge was soldering the surface mount parts.  Some of the legs are just so tiny and it is impossible to see if there are any solder bridges!

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:14 PM Post #3,013 of 3,218
skip the 3rd channel - its a technically flawed idea that somehow caught the imagination of of many - but fails to improve many of "flaws" it claims to be addressing when looking in detail at the engineering theory and at measurements of other "3-channel" amps

if you worry about gnd contamination and channel crosstalk there is no debating that rewiring with 4-pin "balanced" headphone connector and dual mono amps (separate, dual V, "passive gnd" power supplies for each channel) actually do improve the numbers

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:19 PM Post #3,014 of 3,218
Quote:

I built myself a Gamma2 dac right after I finished my B22.  The only challenge was soldering the surface mount parts.  Some of the legs are just so tiny and it is impossible to see if there are any solder bridges!

I have the grub dac kit in my mail box right now. Planning on hard wiring it to my Bravo. I always just use a bright lightbulb to check solder bridges, and the smallest .15" Weller tip. 
Quote:
skip the 3rd channel - its a technically flawed idea that somehow caught the imagination of of many - but fails to improve many of "flaws" it claims to be addressing when looking in detail at the engineering theory and at measurements of other "3-channel" amps

if you worry about gnd contamination and channel crosstalk there is no debating that rewiring with 4-pin "balanced" headphone connector and dual mono amps (separate, dual V, "passive gnd" power supplies for each channel) actually do improve the numbers

Thanks for that. I was wondering the same thing. I am a EE, but my focus is primarily in energy systems - electric motors, batterys, and the such. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #3,015 of 3,218

Quote:

It's kinda too technical for me.. but since i already got my 3 boards... might as well!!
L3000.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back