Roll call: Indians staying in India, interested in high end headphones/IEMS
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2014 at 12:28 PM Post #1,202 of 4,743
Nov 18, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #1,204 of 4,743
How about we try and put up a meet for April 2015? Yes, it is far but I will be in India only then. Location is the real problem. I would simply suggest Bangalore to be the place of the meet ; open to dispute and suggestions.

Did anyone go for the Hi-end exhibition in Gurgaon in July/August ?

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:15 AM Post #1,205 of 4,743
  How about we try and put up a meet for April 2015? Yes, it is far but I will be in India only then. Location is the real problem. I would simply suggest Bangalore to be the place of the meet ; open to dispute and suggestions.

Did anyone go for the Hi-end exhibition in Gurgaon in July/August ?

+1 for Bangalore or Chennai

Nov 18, 2014 at 11:16 AM Post #1,206 of 4,743
I am an amateur and I really need to learn!
bigsmile_face.gif

Nov 19, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #1,207 of 4,743
Had a demo of some headphones at HOT (House of Technology), Nehru Place Metro station while on my way to collect passports from the nearby American Plaza.

Listened to the UE6000 for the first time after reading about it for more than a year. Really bass heavy in passive mode, but boosting the treble on my Fiio E07k really brought out the best in these cans. Now available for a steal price of 6000 INR.

HD598 - In spite of the store noise, was instant satisfaction, although my HD558 probably comes close. Really wanted to try the HD650, unfortunately there wasn't one to demo.

Surprisingly enough, didn't like the Momentum that much, in spite of this being my third or fourth demo. Loose bass was the culprit I felt. Maybe better amping was required. But I preferred the UE6000 to this, in spite of the price difference.

HD280- Typical closed studio feel to the sound, was fairly detailed, couldn't wear for long periods of time IMO.

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:39 AM Post #1,208 of 4,743
Had a demo of some headphones at HOT (House of Technology), Nehru Place Metro station while on my way to collect passports from the nearby American Plaza.

Listened to the UE6000 for the first time after reading about it for more than a year. Really bass heavy in passive mode, but boosting the treble on my Fiio E07k really brought out the best in these cans. Now available for a steal price of 6000 INR.

HD598 - In spite of the store noise, was instant satisfaction, although my HD558 probably comes close. Really wanted to try the HD650, unfortunately there wasn't one to demo.

Surprisingly enough, didn't like the Momentum that much, in spite of this being my third or fourth demo. Loose bass was the culprit I felt. Maybe better amping was required. But I preferred the UE6000 to this, in spite of the price difference.

HD280- Typical closed studio feel to the sound, was fairly detailed, couldn't wear for long periods of time IMO.

Hello Shreyas,

first thing that struck me while listening to momentum going from hd518 was lack of airiness and closed feeling, as well as soundstage.

though i think compared to 518, hd650 is in another level.

Nov 19, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #1,209 of 4,743

Hello Shreyas,

first thing that struck me while listening to momentum going from hd518 was lack of airiness and closed feeling, as well as soundstage.

Don't know about the 518 but 650 is an open headphone so the airiness is there. But having said that the 600/650 are still very very good headphones. Having owned various types, I am coming around to the conclusion that there are very few headphones that beat out a well-made electro-dynamic headphone with large drivers and good damping. The HD 800 is a case in point. Yes there is the treble spike around 6 KhZ but that can be mitigated by some simple mods. 

Nov 19, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #1,210 of 4,743

Don't know about the 518 but 650 is an open headphone so the airiness is there. But having said that the 600/650 are still very very good headphones. Having owned various types, I am coming around to the conclusion that there are very few headphones that beat out a well-made electro-dynamic headphone with large drivers and good damping. The HD 800 is a case in point. Yes there is the treble spike around 6 KhZ but that can be mitigated by some simple mods. 

electro dynamic are simple dynamic cans, am I right?

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #1,211 of 4,743
Hello Shreyas,

Say, Vaibhav, have you listened to the HD650, and if so, how big a jump do you think it is in terms of SQ improvement?

Rgs

Nov 19, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #1,212 of 4,743
Say, Vaibhav, have you listened to the HD650, and if so, how big a jump do you think it is in terms of SQ improvement?

Rgs

Sennheiser calls 5xx series audiophile level and 650 reference level. (I don't know what they call hd800? perfection level?)

I think thats quiet a bit correct.

i find 518 to be lush sounding, while 650 is quiet a bit precise.

also its a lot better at detail retrieval, smoother, richer sounding. bass impact is real, no looseness like 518.

only aspect where 518 wins is perhaps its more open, airy sounding. but not sure as it was a store audition so could'nt evaluate that well.

I think its worth the price jump if you discount other brands.

Nov 19, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #1,214 of 4,743

Sennheiser calls 5xx series audiophile level and 650 reference level. (I don't know what they call hd800? perfection level?)

I think thats quiet a bit correct.

i find 518 to be lush sounding, while 650 is quiet a bit precise.

also its a lot better at detail retrieval, smoother, richer sounding. bass impact is real, no looseness like 518.

only aspect where 518 wins is perhaps its more open, airy sounding. but not sure as it was a store audition so could'nt evaluate that well.

I think its worth the price jump if you discount other brands.

Thanks for your inputs Vaibhav!

HD650 seems to be exactly what I might like, especially the tight bass, and detail. But I'm also interested in the Philips Fidelio L series & X series; they seem to be performing ahead of their price brackets, from all reviews I've come across so far. Let's see, maybe by the time I come around to decide which one I'm going to get, there might be a new surprise headphone announced altogether. 

Nov 19, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #1,215 of 4,743
  Thanks for your inputs Vaibhav!

HD650 seems to be exactly what I might like, especially the tight bass, and detail. But I'm also interested in the Philips Fidelio L series & X series; they seem to be performing ahead of their price brackets, from all reviews I've come across so far. Let's see, maybe by the time I come around to decide which one I'm going to get, there might be a new surprise headphone announced altogether. 

bass is not tightest. its rather thick. though it slams hard.
also I found it to lack in sub bass area compared to akg q701. though I did listen to q701 on much better amp.

i am a bargain hunter so I almost never buy a newly announced product.
biggrin.gif

currently rotating my present hps and waiting to get a good deal on either t90 or shure srh 1840. I intend to pair them with good tube amp for end game setup. untill then possibly no more hps hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back