Rogue Audio RH-5 Impression Thread
Jun 5, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #61 of 718
So I've put some hours on the clear tops and gotta say I'm not a big fan of these tubes. When they shine, they sound amazing but it is very musical style dependent. Very holographic and full midrange and bass, but with music like rock with a lot of drums...the snares and cymbals are just way to abrasive and harsh sounding. My front end is Yggy Analog 2.

I guess if you listen to mostly classical and music without a lot of drums it would be fantastic. Doesn't work for me however.

I went straight to the cleartops as soon as my rogue came in, and the last few days dropped the JJ's backin and after some burn in, I actually like those far better than the clear tops.

Waiting on some Mullard CV4003's now which are supposed more laid back and smooth sounding and think might be a good match with Rogues.

Really impressed with the Rogue tho'. Makes a fantastic preamp and have been using it as such mostly in my 2 channel setup. I've owned a Rogue Hera in the past which was their flagship preamp and gotta say I like the rh-5 far better. I'm pretty curious about the RP-7.

That's what's up! Let me know what you think. I have a pair of RCA grey long plates coming on Friday for only 40 bucks matched. I'm hoping they sound dark, dusty, dingey and smell like feet. I want to tame my bright ass Kef LS-50's and my HD800S. I want Diana Krall to sound like James Earl Jones!

Jun 5, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #62 of 718
So I've put some hours on the clear tops and gotta say I'm not a big fan of these tubes. When they shine, they sound amazing but it is very musical style dependent. Very holographic and full midrange and bass, but with music like rock with a lot of drums...the snares and cymbals are just way to abrasive and harsh sounding. My front end is Yggy Analog 2.

I guess if you listen to mostly classical and music without a lot of drums it would be fantastic. Doesn't work for me however.

I went straight to the cleartops as soon as my rogue came in, and the last few days dropped the JJ's backin and after some burn in, I actually like those far better than the clear tops.

Waiting on some Mullard CV4003's now which are supposed more laid back and smooth sounding and think might be a good match with Rogues.

Really impressed with the Rogue tho'. Makes a fantastic preamp and have been using it as such mostly in my 2 channel setup. I've owned a Rogue Hera in the past which was their flagship preamp and gotta say I like the rh-5 far better. I'm pretty curious about the RP-7.
I have the Brimar CV4003's coming in mid June. Where did you get the Mullard CV4003's from?

Apr 5, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #64 of 718
Hi All.

New RH-5 owner here. Though I won't have the RH-5 in hand until later this coming week- I'm already thinking about tube rolling options. Hoping some of you seasoned owners might share some thoughts.

After reading through the thread I wanted to ask how owners were doing with the tube upgrades. The last few posts spoke of both Mullard and Brimar 12au7 tubes. I know Mullard has a fantastic reputation for adding that British warmth to vocals and that lovely mid-range. The best examples can also add an incredible 3-D soundstage.

Brimar in my experience can also be can also be an excellent tube. I think many people get caught up in the Mullard name. But a Brimar tube can also many of the qualities of Mullard and usually at a savings.

So how are RH-5 owners enjoying their amps in the wild? What tubes have you rolled and what tips or tricks or thoughts might you have for a new RH-5 owner.

Thanks

Apr 5, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #65 of 718
Before I respond to the tube rolling query I have a question of my own:

What gain settings is everyone listening to in both headphone and preamp mode?

When using either my Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6XX or in preamp mode I do not get any audible music unless I choose Gain 3. On top of that, I usually need the volume to be around 95-105 for a reasonable, not loud, volume. Is this normal for everyone or is mine jacked?

Apr 5, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #66 of 718
As far as tube-rolling is concerned...

My music presentation tastes tend to lean a bit more to the solid-state than a vacuum tube style. That meant that the Mullards and the GE's I tried were way too warm, mushy, and overly bloomed bass. Conversely, the Telefunken's I tried were too bright and lacked bass. The supplied JJ's are a good, middle-of-the-road sounding tube.

My favorites, however, are the Psvane MkII's. They come as a matched pair, and their style matched mine perfectly. They have lots of energy without becoming shouty or overly analytical. Their bass is full and tight without becoming boomy or smeared. I have tons of microdetail that never turns harsh. IOW, my cup of tea!

Apr 5, 2020 at 2:36 PM Post #67 of 718
@finleyville, thanks. And that's the beauty of this hobby. Different strokes for different folks.

Though your happy with the Psvane MkII's and the sound they provide you may also consider the Mazda-France 12au7. These come in a few different models, triple-mica, silver plate and the such. Regardless of the model, they offer up alot of the sound you favor. Tight bass and even mids with a really pretty, airy top-end. Not shouty but just very open and musical. Though I've never used them in the RH-5, I have plenty of experience with them in both phono preamp and all tube headphone amps. Something to think about...or not...

For me, I intend to use this amp as both a preamp in my two-channel system and as a headphone amp. With that in mind, my active speakers do have an aluminum tweeter. These speakers do tend to have a little bit of the bright and metallic sound that is common with this tweeter material. With that said, I was thinking a NOS British tube was maybe the way to go. Using the strength of the English tubes to make up for the brightness of the tweeter.

Furthermore, my tastes do lean toward a warmer sound signature. Anyways, I'm excited to getting my hands on this new piece of gear and getting some great listening time in.

Apr 5, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #69 of 718

When using either my Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6XX or in preamp mode I do not get any audible music unless I choose Gain 3. On top of that, I usually need the volume to be around 95-105 for a reasonable, not loud, volume. Is this normal for everyone or is mine jacked?

I also use the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XX. So your question also applies to me.

Are you using your HD6XX with a balanced XLR connection to RH-5 or are you using it via single ended?

Apr 5, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #70 of 718
@RobertSM
My favorite tubes for RH5 are
Telefunken ( musical and detailed)
Siemens (open and robust)
Amperex (neutral )
I’m currently using amperex.
Interestingly, some of the mullards that I’d tried made RH5 overly bright so if you want to buy mullard you better buy from someone who accepts return.

Apr 5, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #71 of 718
I also use the Massdrop x Sennheiser HD6XX. So your question also applies to me.

Are you using your HD6XX with a balanced XLR connection to RH-5 or are you using it via single ended?
You are actually wasting RH5’s power if you only use it to drive hd6xx. RH5 is made to pair with abyss 1266.

Apr 5, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #72 of 718
I'll probably mostly use RH-5 as a preamp into my Genelec 8350a speakers.

I was just curious about RH-5's ability to drive a tough to drive 300 ohm set of cans like the Sennheiser HD6XX/HD650. Spec wise it looks like it would drive them easily. But as we all know sometimes specs dont tell the whole story.

Apr 5, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #73 of 718
@RobertSM
My favorite tubes for RH5 are
Telefunken ( musical and detailed)
Siemens (open and robust)
Amperex (neutral )
I’m currently using amperex.
Interestingly, some of the mullards that I’d tried made RH5 overly bright so if you want to buy mullard you better buy from someone who accepts return.

Telefunken's seem to pair nicely with RH-5. A few people, yourself included seem to have good results with them. I don't presently own any 12au7 Teles. Might have to look into getting a pair. Might have to wait a bit on that though. Telefunken's are usually not a cheap investment to make.

Apr 5, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #74 of 718
@RobertSM

I use my Senns both ways actually. I have a few different cables that I play around with. While using the balanced side is definitely louder, it is not all that much. Either way, my volume is still at Gain 3 95-110 volume. To me that seems extremely high for a preamp that can power hard to drive headphones.

Anyone else?

Apr 5, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #75 of 718

I am using LCD3 the gain is set at 2 and the volume is around 130.

I lean to the warm end of the sound preference. I have not rolled any tubes in the RH-5 yet, I do think it sounds glorious as it is, but I have a pair of NOS Mullards on deck. I ordered a set of the Brimars.

I also have a Cronus Magnum III in which I did swap the original JJ with a Brimar, and the result was nice, tight bass, sweet mids and a lot of air at the top.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back