The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 18, 2021 at 8:25 AM Post #346 of 88,479
I have an Andromeda that I bought new in 2019. Is there a significant SQ upgrade with the Andromeda 2020? If so, what?
I think there's quite a few reviews flying around comparing the two. It might be worth searching for some keywords in the Andro thread as well. The 2020, from everything I've read, seems to be an all around improvement in technicalities while slightly attenuating some of the ethereal treble of the original.

May 18, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #347 of 88,479
I have an Andromeda that I bought new in 2019. Is there a significant SQ upgrade with the Andromeda 2020? If so, what?

Depends on who you ask. I've not heard the 2019 enough to comment-- some say 2020 has better mids but earlier versions have better highs.

May 18, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #348 of 88,479
I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to have both. I will check the Andro 2020 thread.I also have recabled my 2019 and need to do a week of breakin.

Update:
Read a few reviews and comparison. 2020 has better bass and midrange. At my age 8K is as good as I hear so Bass and midrange are my sonic territory . Going to wait until Black Friday to purchase. Will be last purchase of the year. (I hope)
I am all stocked up for the Summer and have my new M8 to keep me warm and upgrade the sound of all my new and old IEMs!

Last edited:
May 18, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #349 of 88,479
I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to have both. I will check the Andro 2020 thread.I also have recabled my 2019 and need to do a week of breakin.

Update:
Read a few reviews and comparison. 2020 has better bass and midrange. At my age 8K is as good as I hear so Bass and midrange are my sonic territory . Going to wait until Black Friday to purchase. Will be last purchase of the year. (I hope)
I am all stocked up for the Summer and have my new M8 to keep me warm and upgrade the sound of all my new and old IEMs!

Right on man...you can't go wrong with the Andromeda 2020. Really looking forward to hearing your impressions on both them and the Dorado-- imho the two make a fantastic, maybe even peerless complimentary pair. Yin & Yang indeed.

My favorite pictures of each, that I've taken myself:

UQVD5613.JPEG

IMG_3771.jpeg

May 18, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #350 of 88,479

I have owned both the Andromeda 2019 and the Andromeda 2020 and in my opinion, the 2019 certainly has more sparkle and the 2020 has a “thicker” sound given the boosted midrange and less sparkle. I personally wouldn’t call the 2020 an “upgrade” over the 2019 but rather a different interpretation on the classic Andromeda DNA. I see it this way, the 2019 is more analytical whilst the 2020 is more dynamic.

May 18, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #351 of 88,479
Thank You Mirimar.

May 20, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #353 of 88,479
What I say in my head when people tell me that cables and sources don't make much of a difference.

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 10.34.44 AM.png

May 20, 2021 at 2:41 PM Post #354 of 88,479
What I say in my head when people tell me that cables and sources don't make much of a difference.

I would say to my ears cables don't make any difference at all , sources make a big difference. Haha

May 20, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #355 of 88,479
I would say to my ears cables don't make any difference at all , sources make a big difference. Haha

I can't quantify or explain it but my ears have experienced it (in particular with the Leo and Leo II Octa and Elysium) so I will vouch for it. That said I don't fully understand it, so it's not a hill I'm willing to die on or anything...but I'm quite certain something is there beyond mere placebo. Also, it wasn't quite enough for me personally to justify the cost to myself (I'm a cheapskate at heart, despite appearances) so I don't have either cable anymore.

May 20, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #356 of 88,479
I can't quantify or explain it but my ears have experienced it (in particular with the Leo and Leo II Octa and Elysium) so I will vouch for it. That said I don't fully understand it, so it's not a hill I'm willing to die on or anything...but I'm quite certain something is there beyond mere placebo. Also, it wasn't quite enough for me personally to justify the cost to myself (I'm a cheapskate at heart, despite appearances) so I don't have either cable anymore.
Although It's possible that I haven't tried the right cables for it yet. All the one I have either came with IEMs or I bought at under 130$ .

May 20, 2021 at 2:54 PM Post #357 of 88,479
Although It's possible that I haven't tried the right cables for it yet. All the one I have either came with IEMs or I bought at under 130$ .

Yeah and I think some IEMs (like Elysium) are perhaps more sensitive than others. In fact in the box with Elysium is a leaflet which explains that due to all the different drivers and the way the IEM is tuned/setup that it's especially sensitive to cable/source changes etc. @SBranson has me salivating at the thought of trying the Elysium through the Cayin C9.

May 20, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #358 of 88,479
Yeah and I think some IEMs (like Elysium) are perhaps more sensitive than others. In fact in the box with Elysium is a leaflet which explains that due to all the different drivers and the way the IEM is tuned/setup that it's especially sensitive to cable/source changes etc. @SBranson has me salivating at the thought of trying the Elysium through the Cayin C9.
I am curious about it too ,now that I've experienced the M8, and the things it does for my IEMs.

May 20, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #359 of 88,479
I have people telling me for years that cables do not make a difference. I then ask them about their system. Its always a cheap crappy system with no real resolution.
You do not have to listen closely to a good system when you change out cables. If you change the cable on a good IEM you will hear it immediately. Same for the ICs on a CD player or other source on a speaker system.
IEMs are simple. You have a source and the IEMs hooked together with a cable. Change any one of the three and you will hear it. Even on my HiBy R3 Pro Saber and some of my cheaper ChiFi IEMs.

May 20, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #360 of 88,479
I have people telling me for years that cables do not make a difference. I then ask them about their system. Its always a cheap crappy system with no real resolution.
You do not have to listen closely to a good system when you change out cables. If you change the cable on a good IEM you will hear it immediately. Same for the ICs on a CD player or other source on a speaker system.
IEMs are simple. You have a source and the IEMs hooked together with a cable. Change any one of the three and you will hear it. Even on my HiBy R3 Pro Saber and some of my cheaper ChiFi IEMs.
Ask many well known reviewers around here and they will tell you that they can't tell you that cabled make a difference to SQ ,excluding impedance related with highly sensitive IEMs.
Your ears are probably very superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back