The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jul 4, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #1,366 of 87,674
I am now a Bird owner (thanks to @ian91 ), and this was my rationale in buying it. Price is recoverable in resale. My impressions are in the Traillii thread, but in short if you can afford to try it, I think you have to give it a go. After you stop analysiing the Bird, you just melt into the music. I have never had an IEM which is so damn listenable. It makes the Odin seem like a tuning mess. Unfortunately I am probably going to keep the damn things.

I don't know how you'd like it versus DD timbre across the FQ range though.

It's just a very well executed IEM when taken as a sum of its parts. Personally, I did have small, lingering issues with lack of DD timbre in lower frequencies (this seems crucial for my enjoyment), but the picture it paints across the range is totally coherent and the BA bass strikes a masterful balance between BA / DD characteristics.

Jul 4, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #1,367 of 87,674
It's just a very well executed IEM when taken as a sum of its parts. Personally, I did have small, lingering issues with lack of DD timbre in lower frequencies (this seems crucial for my enjoyment), but the picture it paints across the range is totally coherent and the BA bass strikes a masterful balance between BA / DD characteristics.
I do agree with you, DD timbre for me is quite important in the lower range - on the Bird it is a little one dimensional, but it does slam very, very well. Then again, the Odin has the most masterful bass ever, but as I say, the rest of the FQ range is relatively a mess compared to the Bird.

And that is probably the thing with the Bird - it straddles a very fine line in compromises and the result is a resoundlng success.

Jul 4, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #1,371 of 87,674
Im not judging anyone but personally I would struggle to justify having to compromise with an IEM costing anywhere near 6000 Dollars.

Whilst I understand there is no such thing as a perfect IEM, at this kind of money it would need to be perfect for my ears.

But thats the thing - the compromises allow it to be near perfect tuning and allow you to totally melt away in the music. Yes there will be tracks it won't be great on - such as that percussion track. But I'm currently listening to one of my favourite album's, Gregory Porter's Liquid Spirit and it has never sounded so good.

Jul 4, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #1,372 of 87,674
But thats the thing - the compromises allow it to be near perfect tuning and allow you to totally melt away in the music. Yes there will be tracks it won't be great on - such as that percussion track. But I'm currently listening to one of my favourite album's, Gregory Porter's Liquid Spirit and it has never sounded so good.
With that in mind, I think you have made a wise buy. Enjoy.

Jul 4, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #1,374 of 87,674
I am now a Bird owner (thanks to @ian91 ), and this was my rationale in buying it. Price is recoverable in resale. My impressions are in the Traillii thread, but in short if you can afford to try it, I think you have to give it a go. After you stop analysiing the Bird, you just melt into the music. I have never had an IEM which is so damn listenable. It makes the Odin seem like a tuning mess. Unfortunately I am probably going to keep the damn things.

I don't know how you'd like it versus DD timbre across the FQ range though.

Congrats man! Yes I saw your posts and impressions elsewhere. I'm hoping to meet with @SBranson sometime in the next couple weeks to try his as that will likely be my best shot at hearing one. I've got too many other financial priorities to even consider an IEM like the Trailli right now. The DD timbre thing is the only thing I pause about-- so far I've never been able to stick with an IEM for very long that didn't have DD timbre in there somewhere. That said if Oriolus, VE, CFA come up with an IEM that has Trailli's e-stats on top of a DD doing mids and lows it will be a "shut up and take my money" kind of scenario.

I'm exceedingly curious to hear your thoughts on the Isabellae.

Im not judging anyone but personally I would struggle to justify having to compromise with an IEM costing anywhere near 6000 Dollars.

Whilst I understand there is no such thing as a perfect IEM, at this kind of money it would need to be perfect for my ears.

Are you one of the folks who have Isabellae incoming? It's got quite a magical tuning...and is 1/10th the cost of the Bird :D

@blotmouse how are you liking the n6ii TI...M8 comparisons? :)

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 8:16 AM Post #1,375 of 87,674
Congrats man! Yes I saw your posts and impressions elsewhere. I'm hoping to meet with @SBranson sometime in the next couple weeks to try his as that will likely be my best shot at hearing one. I've got too many other financial priorities to even consider an IEM like the Trailli right now. The DD timbre thing is the only thing I pause about-- so far I've never been able to stick with an IEM for very long that didn't have DD timbre in there somewhere. That said if Oriolus, VE, CFA come up with an IEM that has Trailli's e-stats on top of a DD doing mids and lows it will be a "shut up and take my money" kind of scenario.

Are you one of the folks who have Isabellae incoming? It's got quite a magical tuning...and is 1/10th the cost of the Bird :D

@blotmouse how are you liking the n6ii TI...M8 comparisons? :)
Yes. All being well should be with me on Wednesday :relaxed:

Jul 4, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #1,376 of 87,674

You're going to LOVE the tuning! The BA timbre which is 'most apparent' with piano than other instruments (one of the very few things Odin probably shades). The thing with the Bird is, after you've done all your test tracks just play songs at random, forget technicalities and let yourself melt away.

Really looking forward to you impressions and comparisons to the Isa too. So enjoy - it's worth the effort to get to try! I'm using cp155 tips, but not sure what @SBranson recommends. The W2 is also a great source to test with.

Jul 4, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #1,377 of 87,674
Jul 4, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #1,378 of 87,674
Always happy to read your contributions :)

Land has a clear advantage in the areas you list given that it is a hybrid with BAs and e-stats. I would make the same claims about Elysium over Isabellae (Ely wins in technicalities) and for the same reasons-- the drivers Elysium (and Land) use lend themselves to imaging, speed, note definition, airiness etc. in ways that a single DD cannot keep up with. A single DD does have its advantages though, if exploited through good tuning. These include primarily for me things like 1) single driver coherence, which gives the overall sound a fundamental unity that is, as a rule, easier to embrace emotionally (whereas technical skill is, by and large, more intellectual in character) and 2) the advantage of having natural DD timbre from top to bottom.

For me an IEM that, through great tuning, exploits the potential of a single DD to the fullest is the Oriolus Isabellae. While I consent that Elysium excels Isa in all the ways you list as Land besting Zen I cannot fail to note that Isabellae at its best presents no less an enjoyable listening experience as the Elysium-- and in the right circumstances even excels it in some ways.

I have been thinking a lot about this in light of some of the great discussion that has been taking place in this thread. I will address this further in a reply to @SBranson below.

I think it's partly the e-stats. They have a capacity for speed, weight and clarity that is really special...especially the second gen of e-stats in Trailli, Spark, Odin (and I'm curious if they're in Land).

I think this is a huge part of it. The Isabellae has really opened my eyes to what is possible with summit fi tuning. Also, while I haven't heard the Zen I have heard that it has quite. an "Eastern" tuning to it-- which is consistent with your description of the mids. That and harmon tuning are two of my biggest turn offs in IEMs....not that people can't justifiably love them, I just don't.
That was a wonderful detailed discussion, and I felt myself enriched by your insights. You have reignited my passion for Isabellae.

Jul 4, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #1,379 of 87,674
Something I've been think about a lot lately, in particular with respect to me weighing Isa vs. Elysium in my own life is use case. Most of my listening, as in over 95% of it, is done out and about, on the go, or otherwise preoccupied with something like marking or working on the computer. When I sit right down and listen critically it's very clear all the ways that Elysium excels Isa (and absolutely everything else I've ever heard for that matter) in terms of subtle creation of an almost living breathing atmosphere, nuance in detail and naturalness, and overall technical skill. The thing is that most of the time I'm too preoccupied with whatever else is in my sphere of activity to give Elysium the attention it deserves to really do it justice. More important to me is an IEM that can draw me in and keep the back of my mind constantly entertained and engaged in a little bubble of musical bliss whilst I go about my day. For this the thump and overall timbre of a DD is irreplacable, even in the context of a more balanced presentation like the Isa. I took Dorado on the road with me yesterday and even with the ever-present ambient noise of worldly activity I had its nice, meaty thumping bass & rich timbre keeping me moving and engaged all day. I have done this with Elysium before too and while great it's not the same. Whereas Dorado & Isa provide a backdrop to whatever else I'm doing-- Elysium commands that I stop everything and give it all my attention so it can pull me in to the proverbial palace of Elysium and entice me with its effervescent charms. As much as I enjoy this when it happens it's not something I get to do very often due to my life and listening habits...or at least often enough that really feel I'm getting the most out of it.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #1,380 of 87,674
3. TURII

"Twist your ears" is the slogan for this bold design. It's a single dynamic high-end universal IEM which is an incredible showcase. Magnetic flux is rated at 1.6T but the special part is that the magnet is isolated in a brass chamber and directs the force through a pole? (Do I even make sense?) The wild design of a twisted rectangular housing is because of a complex resonance absorbing chamber with 7 air vents. The product description hints at a history in loudspeaker design.
  • single high-end dynamic driver with PEEK suspension and DLC diaphragm
  • universal-fit
  • natural sound
  • separated magnetic coil with a flux of 1.6T
  • price around 1,300 - 1,500 USD
As I have this model for review, I can only say "hot damn"! Yes, it sounds incredibly natural! The tuning is neutral with a touch of warmth and an evenly elevated bass. The Turii sings. It sounds so liquid and highly detailed at the same time! Hands down, best single dynamic I have yet heard.
softears_turii_vs_solaris.png
Turii vs Solaris

This is the "OG" Solaris; the real deal with gold faceplate. Most fans will agree that the best part of the Solaris is the bass from the dynamic driver. The Turii has the same bass tuning. Turii's treble is a lot more natural sounding.
@Rockwell75 The Turii looks really intriguing :) Might be good to try this summer, as it seems right your alley. Single DD with somewhat similar tuning with Isa
I couldn't get to demo the Turii here, but I did hear how great the rest of Softears lineup sound
They're really good.. Especially the RSV
The RS10 and Cerberus too if you have a stronger powered source (M8), as they're harder to drive
Tonally I like the RSV better, but technically the RS10 is superior (though not $1000 more)

https://www.klauseulenbach.de/2021/03/05/softears-turii/

The Turii seems to have a larger soundstage, but I haven't heard one before
Hopefully someone could try and compare with the Isa someday, as it looks very promising

Users who are viewing this thread

Back