Rockville mini-meet pics
Apr 12, 2004 at 5:10 AM Post #46 of 60
bln, you're right. Now I see your point.

I don't know if the PS-1's are still being made, nor do I know how many were (or will be) made. What I was suggesting is that you can still buy a new pair, at this point at least. If there are any HP-1000 series around, they would be NOS. The PS-1's would be NNS (new new stock!) even if they have already been discontinued. Ok, I'm being silly...
rolleyes.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 5:57 AM Post #47 of 60
Another plus for the PS-1:

The pics of the PS-1 on people's heads make them look alot more like nice headphones and alot less like alien antenna headgear (*cough*hp1000*cough*).
wink.gif

Now if only John would reproduce this in a production model for the US at a far more reasonable price ($500ish?).. After a couple Stereophile reviews he'd probably be selling them faster than he could make them.

-dd3mon

Apr 12, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #48 of 60
With all that electricity flowing I can see why there are no adult beverages or liquids in that room.

Looks like another buffo meet. Congrats, guys.

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:18 PM Post #50 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon
Another plus for the PS-1:

The pics of the PS-1 on people's heads make them look alot more like nice headphones and alot less like alien antenna headgear (*cough*hp1000*cough*).
wink.gif

Now if only John would reproduce this in a production model for the US at a far more reasonable price ($500ish?).. After a couple Stereophile reviews he'd probably be selling them faster than he could make them.

-dd3mon

rolleyes.gif
The rs-1 is 700 lol. $1k- 1.25k is more like it.

So now that we have confirmed the ps-1 is the best grado headphone... how does it stack up to the sony mdr-r10?

Apr 12, 2004 at 3:00 PM Post #51 of 60
24 hours after my initial reading of this evaluation I'm a little angry...
mad.gif

First reaction, and a natural one, is envy. But gradually with the reflexion I cant shake the bad feeling that Grado is toying with us. They have the technology to do better that the RS-1, wich I own, and they have the nerve to export what we all are waiting for.
O.K, O.K, I know it is a «special» order but somewhere along the line I find difficult no to feel betrayed by an enterprise that gladly took my money, and a lot I might add, for a product inferior to the past edition.

Dont worry about the cheap box my girlfriend threw it in the garbage the first day I bought the R-S 1. I've got now the real deal in cherry wood (more beautyful that the original wood)...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sorry but I'm feeling better already. I'm so mad about the unwillingness to give access to these phones that I will now think seriously about Stax.....
biggrin.gif

Amicalement

Apr 12, 2004 at 3:06 PM Post #52 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Chefguru
So now that we have confirmed the ps-1 is the best grado headphone... how does it stack up to the sony mdr-r10?

Frequency response is better, and dynamics are world class. Detailing is better than previous Grado's, and I'd say that the resolution of the PS-1 is similar to that of the R10.

BUT, the real answer could take pages to write, and won't be definitive. The R10 reproduces the illusion of an acoustic space, in three dimensions, better than any other headphone I've heard. Still. It's the only headphone I've heard where a discussion of "imaging" actually means something, IMO (although I should leave some space for the K-1000 and top AT headphones here). The soundstage of the PS-1 is similar to that of the other Grado's, and is very two-dimensional compared to the R10. The short answer is that I'm keeping my R10 (although I did sell my HP-1).

Apr 12, 2004 at 5:54 PM Post #53 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Frequency response is better, and dynamics are world class. Detailing is better than previous Grado's, and I'd say that the resolution of the PS-1 is similar to that of the R10.

BUT, the real answer could take pages to write, and won't be definitive. The R10 reproduces the illusion of an acoustic space, in three dimensions, better than any other headphone I've heard. Still. It's the only headphone I've heard where a discussion of "imaging" actually means something, IMO (although I should leave some space for the K-1000 and top AT headphones here). The soundstage of the PS-1 is similar to that of the other Grado's, and is very two-dimensional compared to the R10. The short answer is that I'm keeping my R10 (although I did sell my HP-1).

How is the mid range with the ps-1?
The r10's fav feature to me is the mid range. The ms-2( rs-1 is better but not perfect) really lacks the mid range where it feels like the singer is only inchs in front of your face signing to you, yet the r10 has mastered this.

Apr 12, 2004 at 8:13 PM Post #54 of 60
Quote:

Just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly Hirsch, are you saying the frequency response is better than previous Grados or the R-10?

Quote:

BUT, the real answer could take pages to write, and won't be definitive.
The soundstage of the PS-1 is similar to that of the other Grado's, and is very two-dimensional compared to the R10. The short answer is that I'm keeping my R10 (although I did sell my HP-1).

I have never heard the R-10, but your reaction above was about what I was imagining based on the past R-10 vs. HP-1000 debates. Both seem to have something the other does not. Now all we need is a can that can match each of them at what they do best!
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 9:20 PM Post #55 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
Just to make sure I'm understanding you correctly Hirsch, are you saying the frequency response is better than previous Grados or the R-10?

I think the low-end of the R10 is too attenuated. I've been able to bring it out, but it involves using tube sets that can overwhelm a headphone that already has a good bass response. IMO the PS-1, in terms of frequency response, is better than the R10 at the low end. However, the unique staging ability of the R10 keeps it at the top of the heap, for me.

The challengers are getting closer, though.

Apr 12, 2004 at 9:24 PM Post #56 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Chefguru
The r10's fav feature to me is the mid range. The ms-2( rs-1 is better but not perfect) really lacks the mid range where it feels like the singer is only inchs in front of your face signing to you, yet the r10 has mastered this.

The midrange of the PS-1 is excellent, in terms of tonality, as is the midrange of the R10. In terms of staging, the R10 is still the king. If you want the singer localized at a particular point in a three-dimensional space, the R10 is the best I've heard.

Apr 13, 2004 at 1:48 AM Post #57 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by dd3mon

From what I heard and experienced trying to get authorized to sell the Grado cans in two retail stores and online, is that Grado is not very interested in 'selling' many cans.
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #58 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
Looks like you all had a great time. Now i really am looking forward to getting a chance to listen to the PS-1 at Grado Labs
wink.gif

PS-1 at Grado Labs??? Has John even admitted to their existence after he denyed them? If no then I guess he will have a hard time denying them once you have them there
tongue.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 4:44 AM Post #59 of 60
a few days later...

wow!

i went to the meet just to try out the upper models and equipment...and it completely screwed me over.

here i sit, listening to my stuff at the dorm, and the stuff sounds like @ss. not exagerating. it feels like crap, knowing that the music i am listening to can sound soo much better with the proper equipment. naturally i wouldn't mind, but being a college student and all...no way do i have the money to shell out for audio.

but i am going to try anyways!
biggrin.gif

the question is, hirsh, when do you plan on throwing another meet? when i went, i had not intentions on upgrading my current setup. but after being exposed...i can resist no longer. the problem is, i didn't do a critical comparison on the gears most suitable for me (mostly cheaper models). i just spent a lot of time enjoying the upper models.

i wont be getting the stuff you had out, definitely out of my league...but for the lower more affordable (senn hd600, for example), i would like to get a more critical comparison with the other models around that price (like beyer or grados).

the meet definitely open up my audio perspectives, and i highly recommend those who have yet to experience one attend. (though it's also smart to save money)
cool.gif

Apr 13, 2004 at 4:59 AM Post #60 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by h3nG
here i sit, listening to my stuff at the dorm, and the stuff sounds like @ss. not exagerating. it feels like crap, knowing that the music i am listening to can sound soo much better with the proper equipment. naturally i wouldn't mind, but being a college student and all...no way do i have the money to shell out for audio.

but i am going to try anyways!
biggrin.gif

the question is, hirsh, when do you plan on throwing another meet?

Hmm...there might be ways to tune what you've got so that it sounds better. Ultimately, the top end costs money. But you can get most of the performance for much less than you would think. It's that last 10% that's the wallet killer
tongue.gif

The next regular meet will likely be around August. However, I enjoyed the short-notice mini-meet, and might try that format again. I'm also thinking about putting together a mailing list for people in the area who would like e-mail notification of meets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back