Rockville mini-meet pics
Apr 11, 2004 at 11:24 PM Post #31 of 60
Wow, so much mouth watering gear there...
very_evil_smiley.gif

I hope the upcoming Chicago meet is this diverse!

What replacement cables did you guys have for the senn 600 and 650's? What you guys think of them?

Im dying to know!
biggrin.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #32 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan the audioman

What replacement cables did you guys have for the senn 600 and 650's? What you guys think of them?

I had the Moon Audio Silver Dragon on the HD-600. During the meet, actually, Fed Ex delivered a replacement for my Cardas cable (real Sennheiser connectors!). It also seems to be a thicker cable than the original Cardas cable.

IMO the Silver Dragon opens up the HD-600 more than any other cable I've heard. I liked it so much I ordered an HD-650 (round 2) to see if this was the cable that made the headphone sing. I should have it next week.

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:13 AM Post #33 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
IMO the Silver Dragon opens up the HD-600 more than any other cable I've heard. I liked it so much I ordered an HD-650 (round 2) to see if this was the cable that made the headphone sing. I should have it next week.

I think you're gonna like it Hirsch. I found that the Moon Audio cable improved the 650s much more than it did the 600s.

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:14 AM Post #34 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
Has Grado published stuff yet on frequency response and the like? Usually manufacturers make a big deal out of explaining even small advances in new models.
confused.gif

I haven't seen any specs. It's important to remember that the PS-1 is NOT a commercial Grado model. It's not sold by Grado through any of its normal distribution channels. This is a special order that Grado Labs made for a German distributor. Todd is able to get two per month from Germany to sell in the US. That's about all I know. Further questions should be directed to Todd.

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #35 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
I think you're gonna like it Hirsch. I found that the Moon Audio cable improved the 650s much more than it did the 600s.

That's what I'm hoping. I didn't get good results with the Zu Mobius, which didn't sit right with the HD-600 either. However, the Silver Dragon is so good with the HD-600 that I think it may be the answer to the HD-650.

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #37 of 60
Hey, I have never attended a Head-Fi meet but I get the sense that it's more about the sharing of personal stories and equipment than seeing who has the mega buck gear.

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:33 AM Post #38 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
Anyone?

i am the one in the grey hoody. thanks for setting up the mini meet hirsh, i had a great time. definitely opened me up to the upper level grados. make sure to inform me when you have another one, i am not always around on the board.

the only problem is, now my stuff at home sounds like mud...literally.

terrymx...if you dont have any high end stuff, you should probably go to try them out. i didn't bring anything, cause i dont have anything worth bringing. hirsh or the other people there didnt mind having me though, just trying out the stuff. it was also nice to meet some of the headfiers in real life. you'll find they are really nice people to acquint with.

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:35 AM Post #39 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by terrymx
every meets seem to be involved with ultra expensive equipments. i dont feel like i am worthy of going to these meets with the kind of equipments i have now.

What difference does that make? The meets are a place to listen to equipment that you don't have, and to meet and talk to people that have the same hobby that you do. It doesn't matter in the least to me if the person coming to a meet I host has no equipment at all, or shows up with a Blockhead. Everybody is equal. If you want to hear the equipment, find a meet close enough and go to it. You'll hear good music, on good equipment, meet good people, and have a great time. Nobody is keeping score on the cost of your gear.

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:39 AM Post #40 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by terrymx
every meets seem to be involved with ultra expensive equipments. i dont feel like i am worthy of going to these meets with the kind of equipments i have now.

You're at exactly the time you should go. How else will you know how the gear being discussed on the board sounds? It's not like most of these items will be commonly stocked in anyone's area...

Apr 12, 2004 at 2:42 AM Post #41 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I haven't seen any specs. It's important to remember that the PS-1 is NOT a commercial Grado model. It's not sold by Grado through any of its normal distribution channels. This is a special order that Grado Labs made for a German distributor. Todd is able to get two per month from Germany to sell in the US. That's about all I know. Further questions should be directed to Todd.

So, let me see if I have this straight. The product is made in America, sent to German, bought in Germany from somewhere (hopefully the distributor), shipped back to America and sold??...

Unless it is truly an exclusive derivative (retail term) for the German distributor and market does anyone else see the hair-brain scheme of Grado there?

But, based upon what I have heard prior, Grado's marketing is...unusual.

Apr 12, 2004 at 3:02 AM Post #42 of 60
For anyone who feels scared to go to one of these meets because their systems are not as good as the ones at the show. well gee why else would you go? Meets are a great chance to meet other headphone fans, where else can you do that in real life? As well as getting to hear sweet systems that you wouldn't be able to hear otherwise. So by all means, go to the meets, they are meant more so for people just like you than those who can hold meet in their room with thier own systems
wink.gif

Apr 12, 2004 at 3:21 AM Post #43 of 60
snake: the ps1 "quandary" has been explained again and again on this board. they're not being marketed at all, because they're not in general production. it seems that the ps1 wasn't even a grado labs initiative at all; apparently, a german commercial interest approached them requesting a limited run of headphones designed and produced to meet their own specifications. and grado complied, it seems, for what was most likely a hefty fee. this, at least, is the best explanation that's been given so far. so technically, the ps1 is no more of a "current production" headphone than joseph grado's hp1000 series.

Apr 12, 2004 at 4:40 AM Post #44 of 60
"so technically, the ps1 is no more of a "current production" headphone than joseph grado's hp1000 series."

No offense, bln, but "technically" is the operative word in your observation. The fact is, the PS-1's are being made now and the HP-1000 series is not.

Apr 12, 2004 at 4:46 AM Post #45 of 60
wmcmanus: are you certain that all the ps1 that will ever exist haven't already been made and sent to germany? i'm not certain that they have, but what people seem to be saying is that this was a single production run; since they first started appearing in europe before christmas 2003, i wouldn't be surprised if none are being made right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back