Rockville mini-meet pics
Apr 11, 2004 at 3:07 PM Post #16 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Ticky
The Headroom amp in the picture? That's either the old supreme or cosmic. Can't quite tell b/c the lettering is blocked by the headphone jack.

It is an older model called a "Premium." It can run with a wallwart or 4 AA batteries. Nice amp. One thing I was really surprised by, is the synergy this little amp has with the Audio Technica's woodies (I tried the W100s at the meet, sounded great, and the W2002s at home as well).

I need to ask Headroom when was this model made: I've got it used, and have no indication of production date or serial number...

Apr 11, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #17 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by OneMalt
Did anyone have a chance to try the PS-1 with an RA-1? I'm just wondering if the PS-1 has the same "synergy thing" going on with the RA-1 that the RS-1 has...

No RA-1 present. I'll check out the PS-1 on the Grado HPA-1. However, I'm not as sure about the RA-1/RS-1 synergy as many. I like the RS-1 on tube amps. The headphone I liked most with the RA-1, when I had one, was the HD-600. Something really clicked with that combo, for me.

Sir Poulet touched on some very good points about the PS-1 and the electrostatics. The difference in detailing between the PS-1 and the electrostatics is small. The difference in sonic presentation and dynamics is not. The PS-1/Supra sounds far closer to music to me. The HE 60 has a fuller, more musical presentation than the Stax 404, IMO, but either one felt like a compromise compared to the PS-1.

Yeah, I know. I need an Egmont Signature and Omega II.
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #18 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch

(...)
None of the older Grados can match the PS-1. In head-to-head comparison, it's a better headphone than any of the other Grado's present.
(...)
The PS-1 is real, folks. We can stop hoping for a re-release of the HP-1000. There's something better now.

I sense a strange feeling after reading this: a major case of UpGrado....
frown.gif

Amicalement

Apr 11, 2004 at 5:03 PM Post #19 of 60
Here are a few of the pictures I took (Sorry 56k'ers):

PS-1 and the electrostatics:
1.jpg

What a beauty:
2.jpg

My favorite:
3.jpg

I don't even know what that thing is:
4.jpg

All the toys we got to play with:
5.jpg

Hirsch took one of these pictures too, but that's okay:
6.jpg

I seem to have an unhealthy infatuation with this one:
7.jpg

I'm going to have to get me one of these:
8.jpg

I have nothing to say:
9.jpg

What's that hiding in the corner?
10.jpg

Just some things I'd like to say:

The AKG K1000's are really great. Super comfortable and the sound is rich and full. It's a very strange feeling because although the speakers aren't touching your head at all, you can feel a stream of sound wrapping your ears in a wonderful sensation. My friend was the most impressed with this crazy thing at the meet, but didn't want to listen to it too much since it was so loud to everyone else =).

I'm going to get a PPX after hearing it at the meet. It was the first tube amp I've ever heard. The sound is certainly much different than a solid state amp like, say, an XP-7. I can't say one is better than the other, but I really prefer the tube sound more for its warm, airy quality. The price is unbelievable as well.

The HeadRoom Premium is one scary little monster. I have never heard my W100 sound better before than when on this amp. I need to find one, or perhaps check out the model that HeadRoom has replaced it with.

Oh yes, and the PS-1's are really cool. Thanks again Hirsch for hosting such a fun meet!

Apr 11, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #20 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by CD44hi
It is an older model called a "Premium." It can run with a wallwart or 4 AA batteries. Nice amp. One thing I was really surprised by, is the synergy this little amp has with the Audio Technica's woodies (I tried the W100s at the meet, sounded great, and the W2002s at home as well).

I need to ask Headroom when was this model made: I've got it used, and have no indication of production date or serial number...

Most likely a precursor to the Cosmic. I remembered that when Headroom came out with the premium module for their higher level amps, the new module was offered as an upgrade for folks who owned the Supreme.

If this is the case, your amp might not be as old as you think. I bought my Supreme in 1996 and there wasn't a premium version back then. I think I upgraded it around 1998-99.

But of course Tyll would be a better person to set the record straight.

Apr 11, 2004 at 10:12 PM Post #22 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
I like the RS-1 on tube amps.

That surprises me. While I'm no expert on tube amps (I don't own one), I was under the impression that tubes and low impedence headphones don't mix well.
confused.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #23 of 60
Quote:

That surprises me. While I'm no expert on tube amps (I don't own one), I was under the impression that tubes and low impedence headphones don't mix well.
confused.gif

A tube amp that is good with low impedance headphones is harder to design, unless you use an output transformer. However, difficult is not impossible, by any means. All of the Singlepower amps can drive low impedance headphones very well, without an output transformer. It's all a matter of design. Bear in mind that the tube amps that drive speakers have to drive loads that go as low as 4 ohms or less, which is much more difficult than a headphone (a low impedance headphone is around 32 ohms, usually).

Apr 11, 2004 at 10:21 PM Post #24 of 60
Quote:

confused.gif

They mix just fine, remember even the lowest impedence of these cans are 32 Ohms, which is really high by speaker standards. It's the 2 Ohm stuff tubes don't like!
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 10:40 PM Post #25 of 60
Now that we have the verdict on the PS-1 sound, it would be interesting to see the specs. Has Grado published stuff yet on frequency response and the like? Usually manufacturers make a big deal out of explaining even small advances in new models.
confused.gif

What a fantastic load of stuff in those pix!!

Apr 11, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #26 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by Ctn
Who's who in those pics?

Anyone?

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #27 of 60
Well, Hirsch is the guy in the Greenish blue shirt with brown pants and I recognize John Goodman, but the rest are a mystery to me!
biggrin.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:18 PM Post #29 of 60
Quote:

Originally posted by gpalmer
Well, Hirsch is the guy in the Greenish blue shirt with brown pants and I recognize John Goodman, but the rest are a mystery to me!
biggrin.gif

Kewl thanx for responding
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #30 of 60
very cool pictures!! the PS-1 is torture though, seeing all those pictures makes me want one right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back