Rockna Wavelight
Dec 30, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #1,472 of 1,586
After letting Wavelight run overnight playing music, I'm blown away by how good it sounds. For my tastes it's on a different level from May. Only downside is that now I want to hear Wavedream lol

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:40 AM Post #1,473 of 1,586
What is everyone using for a DDC and/or streamer? I have a Holo Red at the moment, but the I2S doesn't play nice with Wavelight if I'm also using USB input into the Red from my PC, although network streaming works fine using i2s out to Wavelight.

I have a need for a second DDC or streamer anyways, so I want to try something new.

I'm not opposed to just buying a Wavelight Server, but curious if any other solid (and compatible) options are worth exploring.

Dec 31, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #1,474 of 1,586
Huge final upgrade to the sound is changing the power cables to the preamp and WL with Signal Projects Ultraviolet.
With the Singxer SU-6 and the Pink Faun USB and HDMI cables I am completely satisfied.

Dec 31, 2023 at 1:58 AM Post #1,475 of 1,586
What is everyone using for a DDC and/or streamer? I have a Holo Red at the moment, but the I2S doesn't play nice with Wavelight if I'm also using USB input into the Red from my PC, although network streaming works fine using i2s out to Wavelight.

I have a need for a second DDC or streamer anyways, so I want to try something new.

I'm not opposed to just buying a Wavelight Server, but curious if any other solid (and compatible) options are worth exploring.

I used my Hifi Rose RS150B with great results when I had the Rockna!

Dec 31, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #1,476 of 1,586

@Aeonyx I am using Rockna WaveLight Server aka WLS and I am not going back despite the fact almost half of promised features is not available yet but the WLS is working perfectly with Roon and mconnect. All 3 outputs: I2S, AES and USB have great SQ and for I2S there is upsampling option: either PCM or DSD. Previously I have been using Lumin U1 Mini and it is awesome streamer, IMHO Lumin is the best but WLS has been designed for WL and the synergy is hard to beat. However WLS is IMHO overpriced, especially now considering unfinished software. With limited budget I would stay with Lumin.

I have been using ifi zen stream and together with Chord Poly this was the worst expirence ever. The software never worked like it should, updates are fixing one flaw but break some other things despite the fact that it is based on volumio, worked better over ethernet cable than via wifi. Could not play DSD files above DSD64 with Rockna. The magical knob at the back does only one thing: kills some of linux processes despite all the marekting info on ifi web page. Getting a Raspberry Pi with case is a lot better and cheaper option.

Dec 31, 2023 at 7:42 AM Post #1,477 of 1,586

I like Eversolo DMP-A6 with WL. Sounds good and easy to handle. Now DMP-A6 master edition and DMP-A8 is also available, some wrote on the Eversolo thread that the A8 is even better.

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #1,478 of 1,586

Innuos Zenith SE -> USB -> Wavelight

I’ve only used USB with the wavelight and the Aqua LaVoce S3 before that and it’s been great. I used Roon before Innuos’ internal player was released and now exclusively use it as it sounds better IMO

Dec 31, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #1,479 of 1,586
Innuos Zenith SE -> USB -> Wavelight

I’ve only used USB with the wavelight and the Aqua LaVoce S3 before that and it’s been great. I used Roon before Innuos’ internal player was released and now exclusively use it as it sounds better IMO
@harsheel @Aeonyx Innous Zenith SE and Lumin price tags are perfect example why I think stock price of WLS at the moment is too high. Hope guys at Rockna will soon deliver all other features including CD ripping. Still sound wise WLS is definitively one of the best sources and transports for WL.

Jan 2, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #1,480 of 1,586
Volumio Rivo with better DC power works very well (Ferrum Hypsos) over Ethernet, WIFI, USB, SPDIF, EBU.
It also has app that plays better than native Tidal app. Rivo is also Roon ready, hadles external disk with music, includes lifetime Volumio Premium subscription.
Worth to do comparison with other streamer options out there... :)

BTW, you must check that your WL is on latest firmware...

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #1,483 of 1,586
Jan 16, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #1,484 of 1,586
an update on the USB Isolation card: you can email Nicolae/Rockna and if you are outside the EU they will send you an invoice to get the card delivered.

Jan 16, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #1,485 of 1,586
A big shout-out to Rockna and Verdant Audio for superior customer service. I recently purchased an older, multi-owner WL and, unfortunately, it bricked when installing the firmware update. I contacted Scott at Verdant and he spoke w/Nicolae about repairing the dac. After sending a video of the WL screen cycling through the menu, Rockna sent Scott the new boards and I shipped the WL to Verdant in NJ. Scott installed and tested the dac board before shipping it back. Great communication all around once the process started.

The WL is now running 2.10 on the new board. I’m hearing the improvements discussed by other Head-Fiers after they installed the firmware upgrade. I’m not sure if any of the sound quality changes are also due to the newer board since the new firmware and the new board came installed together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back