Rockna Wavelight
Jan 16, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #1,486 of 1,590
A big shout-out to Rockna and Verdant Audio for superior customer service. I recently purchased an older, multi-owner WL and, unfortunately, it bricked when installing the firmware update. I contacted Scott at Verdant and he spoke w/Nicolae about repairing the dac. After sending a video of the WL screen cycling through the menu, Rockna sent Scott the new boards and I shipped the WL to Verdant in NJ. Scott installed and tested the dac board before shipping it back. Great communication all around once the process started.

The WL is now running 2.10 on the new board. I’m hearing the improvements discussed by other Head-Fiers after they installed the firmware upgrade. I’m not sure if any of the sound quality changes are also due to the newer board since the new firmware and the new board came installed together.

Did you attempt the firmware update with a MAC ?

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #1,490 of 1,590
The player. I tried to set the defaults to a bit perfect mode.

As you just found out - you cannot use the default player on MAC - must use Bitperfect or you will brick the unit.

I'm a MAC user myself - and still debating whether or not I want to even attempt via MAC - I may just grab a cheap windows laptop to avoid the issue. I emailed with Rockna and they suggested Bitperfect, but admited not doing a lot of testing on MAC with the firmware updates.

Question for you --> when you say "newer board" do you mean a replacement board or did Scott specifically tell you there is an updated version of the WL board ? I am confused about this in your post above ?

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #1,491 of 1,590
As you just found out - you cannot use the default player on MAC - must use Bitperfect or you will brick the unit.

I'm a MAC user myself - and still debating whether or not I want to even attempt via MAC - I may just grab a cheap windows laptop to avoid the issue. I emailed with Rockna and they suggested Bitperfect, but admited not doing a lot of testing on MAC with the firmware updates.

Question for you --> when you say "newer board" do you mean a replacement board or did Scott specifically tell you there is an updated version of the WL board ? I am confused about this in your post above ?
The board was a replacement but was visually different. That’s the extent of my knowledge. I don’t have a pic.

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #1,492 of 1,590
The board was a replacement but was visually different. That’s the extent of my knowledge. I don’t have a pic.

I will look into it. Scott is my Rockna dealer and others on here as well. He's a good guy and knowledgeable.

For the price point involved here (new) for Rockna gear - this is the expectation from any serious audio dealer.

Jan 17, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #1,493 of 1,590
On another note, I’m waiting on the new WL USB board. FedEx informed me it’s in Paris on route to the DMV. I’ll keep you posted. I know another Head-Fier also waiting for delivery. If anyone has A/B’d the old and new boards, I’d be interested in your impressions.

Jan 18, 2024 at 4:49 AM Post #1,494 of 1,590
On another note, I’m waiting on the new WL USB board. FedEx informed me it’s in Paris on route to the DMV. I’ll keep you posted. I know another Head-Fier also waiting for delivery. If anyone has A/B’d the old and new boards, I’d be interested in your impressions.
@fansq I am also very interested in such comparison. I've learned yesterday that my WaveLight to be able to update from mobile app needs visit in a service which actually means there are some important difference - at least from technical side - between dacs with v1.x and v2.x firmware.

Jan 18, 2024 at 7:52 AM Post #1,495 of 1,590
In my horn system this resulted in blacker background, improved transparency, better pin pointing and 3D :relaxed:

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:32 AM Post #1,499 of 1,590
@fansq I am also very interested in such comparison. I've learned yesterday that my WaveLight to be able to update from mobile app needs visit in a service which actually means there are some important difference - at least from technical side - between dacs with v1.x and v2.x firmware.
I think the two software versions were needed when they switched dac boards. But my understanding is the sonic improvements are due to the software upgrades to clock management.

Jan 18, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #1,500 of 1,590
In my horn system this resulted in blacker background, improved transparency, better pin pointing and 3D :relaxed:
I have a hint of low treble glare w/Susvara with certain recordings. I was hoping the new usb would help tamp this down as well as glean some of the benefits you described. Nicolae suggested I try this before heading to a DDC or other solution. Makes sense. A low cost option with additional benefits.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back