Rockna Wavelight
Jul 27, 2020 at 3:27 AM Post #91 of 1,576
My pleasure. Did not have a chance to test the Audiobyte with headphones. I used both of the Rumenian DAC straight into. Einstein Light in the Dark SE via XLR. As mentioned in a previous post, I found the multi bit far better than the two chassis.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #92 of 1,576
I also managed to test the HydraVox DAC: https://headmania.org/2020/07/28/audiobyte-hydravox-dac-review/ . I will post a detailed comparison on my next WaveLight review. Until then, While HydraVox is overall more precise, having faster transients and overall better clarity when it comes to leading edges, WaveLight is more organic, has better punch and brings the sound to life with vibrating and lively textures. The voices present more clarity on hydravox and on wavelight they are more organic, having better presence and textures. Both are really good, but I prefer Wavelight overall.

I actually sold my MSB Analog Dac and went with Wavelight.

Jul 28, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #93 of 1,576
I also managed to test the HydraVox DAC: https://headmania.org/2020/07/28/audiobyte-hydravox-dac-review/ . I will post a detailed comparison on my next WaveLight review. Until then, While HydraVox is overall more precise, having faster transients and overall better clarity when it comes to leading edges, WaveLight is more organic, has better punch and brings the sound to life with vibrating and lively textures. The voices present more clarity on hydravox and on wavelight they are more organic, having better presence and textures. Both are really good, but I prefer Wavelight overall.

I actually sold my MSB Analog Dac and went with Wavelight.
Thx for this short comparison.
Makes me feel good about sticking to the wavelight

Jul 28, 2020 at 10:18 AM Post #94 of 1,576
I think for those who have other equipments in their inventory (amps, preamps, streamers etc.), for a few dollars more, Wavelight may present a better option.

Did contemplate Wavelight, but IMO the Hydra.Vox stack provides better value. LPS + DAC/Amp at less than the Waveligth's cost. The upcoming Hydra.Hub (Interface, Streamer, Upsampler) will cost around $2K while the Wavelight server another $4K (that without IVA).

For those who have less equipments and less pockets (and like to keep it simple) like me, Audiobyte is hard to beat.

Well, they are sisters after all. And I chose the Girl Next Door type, not The Blonde.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #95 of 1,576
I think for those who have other equipments in their inventory (amps, preamps, streamers etc.), for a view dollars more, Wavelight may present a better option.

Did contemplate Wavelight, but IMO the Hydra.Vox stack provides better value. LPS + DAC/Amp at less than the Waveligth's cost. The upcoming Hydra.Hub (Interface, Streamer, Upsampler) will cost around $2K while the Wavelight server another $4K (that without IVA).

For those who have less equipments and less pockets (and like to keep it simple) like me, Audiobyte is hard to beat.

Well, they are sisters after all. And chose the Girl Next Door type, not The Blonde.

This is a good point. Adding the rockna streamer to wavelight...will be painful..to my wallet :)).However, Wavelight does have something up its sleeve. It is a very capable pre-amp and if you have a power amp, this comes in handy.

Jul 28, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #96 of 1,576
I think for those who have other equipments in their inventory (amps, preamps, streamers etc.), for a view dollars more, Wavelight may present a better option.

Well, they are sisters after all. And chose the Girl Next Door type, not The Blonde.

I agree with this sentiment, which is why I went with the Audiobyte stack. I am just hopeful the internal amp can properly drive my LCD-4 and Diana V2. If not I may be looking at the Wavelight and an gsx-mini or something. I am hopeful that wont be necessary though.

Jul 30, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #98 of 1,576
I can't find the Wavelight iOS app. It's mentioned in the manual and the website for the Wavelight but I don't see it in the app store. I searched for both Rockna and Wavelight. Is it released yet?

Jul 30, 2020 at 2:54 AM Post #99 of 1,576
Aug 5, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #101 of 1,576
any more user reviews on this? i am patiently awaiting mine.. possibly 1-2 more months *groan...

Aug 6, 2020 at 3:33 AM Post #102 of 1,576
any more user reviews on this? i am patiently awaiting mine.. possibly 1-2 more months *groan...
Give us a sweet review vs the spring 2

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:32 AM Post #103 of 1,576
Give us a sweet review vs the spring 2

I've got the Rockna Wavedream SE. Had both the Yggy 2 and Spring 2 KTE along with the Rockna unit for a good couple months.

The Rockna wiped the floor with them both. First off detail, dynamics, PRAT and transients are no contest. Pinpoint imaging, big stage. The holo is a much more laid back DAC and I find the staging a little sloppy tbh (even via i2s). I though the best attribute of the Yggy was it's dense image but other than that it's a everything it does Rockna did better.

Obviously not the Wavelight DAC but assuming house sound is similar

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #104 of 1,576
I've got the Rockna Wavedream SE. Had both the Yggy 2 and Spring 2 KTE along with the Rockna unit for a good couple months.

The Rockna wiped the floor with them both. First off detail, dynamics, PRAT and transients are no contest. Pinpoint imaging, big stage. The holo is a much more laid back DAC and I find the staging a little sloppy tbh (even via i2s). I though the best attribute of the Yggy was it's dense image but other than that it's a everything it does Rockna did better.

Thx for the impression :)

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #105 of 1,576

Thanks for the impressions. I have the Holo spring 2 Wild and I agree.. I'm also using it with i2s. The imaging is not as pinpoint and placement is not as distinct, and the soundstage is not as wide, when compared to my matrix audio xsabre pro. It is, however, a very relaxed and natural sounding dac. Xsabre seems more detailed and neutral to me, more similar to dac3b.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back