Rockna Wavelight
Aug 7, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #106 of 1,586
Thanks for the impressions. I have the Holo spring 2 Wild and I agree.. I'm also using it with i2s. The imaging is not as pinpoint and placement is not as distinct, and the soundstage is not as wide, when compared to my matrix audio xsabre pro. It is, however, a very relaxed and natural sounding dac. Xsabre seems more detailed and neutral to me, more similar to dac3b.

Don't get me wrong, the Spring 2 and the Yggy are still great DACs considering they are what, almost 1/3 the price of the base Rockna ? Luckily for me got a great deal on a used model.

You'll get that natural, organic sound out of the Rockna, just without it being smoothed over. It's that liquid, detailed sound. Yet it's for transients for days. On top of that you'll find most Rockna owners agree dense imaging, and spacing are strong suits.

The Rockna designer has got tons of experience in this space and it really shows with his products

Aug 8, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #107 of 1,586
Thanks for the impressions. I have the Holo spring 2 Wild and I agree.. I'm also using it with i2s. The imaging is not as pinpoint and placement is not as distinct, and the soundstage is not as wide, when compared to my matrix audio xsabre pro. It is, however, a very relaxed and natural sounding dac. Xsabre seems more detailed and neutral to me, more similar to dac3b.

So which one would you say you prefer? There's a pretty huge price difference between the xsabre and wavelight

Aug 8, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #108 of 1,586
So which one would you say you prefer? There's a pretty huge price difference between the xsabre and wavelight

I can't decide between the Holo 2 and xsabre. They're both good, and both have pros/cons. If I had to choose one, the Xsabre has some sentimental value as it's the first dac I bought.. I'm hoping the Wavelight will be better than both the xsabre and holo2.

Aug 14, 2020 at 1:09 AM Post #109 of 1,586
IMG20200709225627.jpg
Initial impressions after receiving the Wavelight. Coming from a Denafrips Terminator, there is a clarity from the Wavelight that is musical and yet dynamic. The Terminator sounds more relaxed and laid back. There is an increase in space and decay of instruments, transients and speed is fast. High hats and cymbals have got that shimmer and sparkle. The detail, texture and layering is superb. It's quite an achievement for Rockna with this type of sound, where nothing really stands out when you listen but yet everything is excellent. It is quite hard to describe this unless you hear it yourself. This is an amazing DAC.

Out of curiosity which of the 3 versions of Terminator DSP board did you use to compare with the Wavelight?

The question goes for all terminator owners that went to wavelight, would love to hear more comparisons

Aug 14, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #111 of 1,586
FYI, was chatting with Terry London about something unrelated and mentioned I had the Wavedream. He mentioned he's rated the Wavelight very highly and was quite impressed with the unit. Review should be forth coming but he tends to favor tone and timbre above all so TIFWIW

Aug 16, 2020 at 6:09 PM Post #112 of 1,586
ASAP i’ll test it at home

Aug 16, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #113 of 1,586
Has Anyone compared it with Chord Hugo TT2?

Aug 16, 2020 at 8:25 PM Post #114 of 1,586
Has Anyone compared it with Chord Hugo TT2?

Not directly, but I did own the HTT2. I do prefer the Wavelight for what its worth. However, the TT2 is an all in one solution, and a very good one at that. Different strokes, I think.

Aug 19, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #116 of 1,586
What kind of Amps sound good with the Wavelight?
The wavelight makes all amps sound well.
It's more a question if the amp fits your taste.

The wavelight is neither extremely bright nor warm sounding, so it won't be "too much" in one Direction, no matter the amp

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #117 of 1,586
Aug 19, 2020 at 4:54 PM Post #118 of 1,586
A related question: Have you guys compared between using a preamp and going straight from Wavelight to the amp and using its volume control? Is it worth using double duty as a preamp against say a $2-$5K preamp?

Aug 19, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #120 of 1,586

Attachments

• B704A51C-D2CA-4925-B5DC-7A0992DABA3E.jpeg
    B704A51C-D2CA-4925-B5DC-7A0992DABA3E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back