Rockna Wavedream DAC
Aug 7, 2023 at 5:51 PM Post #286 of 345
Thanks for the great writeup!
I may have missed it, but which is your connection of choice? usb, i2s?
Also, what's your source? WDNET coming soon? heh!
Currently using i2s with a DDC (SMSL) from USB from my Laptop. WDNET, I'd love, but probably not no. I'm curious about the Super Hub from AudioByte, but am also not in a rush :)

Aug 9, 2023 at 2:12 AM Post #287 of 345
Curious, do you think I would hear a SQ difference in my chain if I added the wavedream.net replacing an Aurender N200? I realize the NET pairs well but from a SQ perspective would I genuinely hear it?

Aug 19, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #288 of 345
Did anyone try Audio-GD DI-20HE as DDC for Wavedream? Does it work with Wavedream? Thank you.

Sep 25, 2023 at 12:51 AM Post #289 of 345
Did anyone try Audio-GD DI-20HE as DDC for Wavedream? Does it work with Wavedream? Thank you.
yes I was using the Audio-GD DI-20HE (still have it), and it didn't lock i2s until kingwa sent me the settings. I can locate them in my email if needed.
I ultimately got the Gaia for i2s, only because I was curious about their 50mhz clock and in silver it's case resembled the Rockna

@ufospls2 summed it up perfectly. This is the most detailed R2R I've ever heard. Many DACs have different degrees of bloat in the bass that will mask structure/definition. This DAC is void of bloat -- if there's information in your bass track then this DAC will articulate it. On with "wide" filter, this DACs gravitas and macro dynamics never get old. The performers are working with bigger lungs. Sometimes I'll swap in my Gustard R26 to remind me of the Rockna's strengths.

I've been using the wavedream-xlr-sig for about 2 years and these are my takeaways...

1) I keep the lid off. Otherwise the case get's warmer than an audio-gd r2r dac, but not as hot as an AMR DP 777. I think with the lid on it sounds a bit stressed at 0dB [into my preamp]. I read someone preferred it at -10db. I settled on -4db until I took the lid off, and now I prefer it at 0db. I see Rockna also has taller cases -- I wonder if that's to mitigate heat.
2) Even though my pre+amp are singled ended, I recently plugged cardas xlr=>rca adapters on the DAC XLR outs and it's sounding better to me. I only thought to do this after seeing that MSB has their users do the same with their XLR-only dacs.
3) The USB input is pretty bad, but what would you expect from a 2014 USB receiver. I bet the farm on i2s and this dac didn't disappoint.
4) i2s cable should be 1m or 1.5m (I got a belden from bluejeans) -- I'm finding I prefer USB and ethernet cables that are this length also.

PS: my ethernet is jcat gold and the USB is wywire diamond

Sep 25, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #290 of 345
Curious, do you think I would hear a SQ difference in my chain if I added the wavedream.net replacing an Aurender N200? I realize the NET pairs well but from a SQ perspective would I genuinely hear it?

N200 may edge the NET using usb output but the NET will be a natural match and excel with i2S (vs USB).

Sep 27, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #291 of 345
I have a Wavelight DAC. I have received a WaveDream Net for auditioning. OMG.

My questions:
1. When connected through I2S (ordinary HDMI cable used for TV and monitor) the right and left channel swapped compared to the AES or SPD. Any idea how to fix it? WL setting I2S format 1,2 or 3 does not change anything.
2. Is the a way to use WDNET as Roon Remote? How?
For the time being I allowed it as server. WDNET audio endpoint is connected to server - as not recognised.
When playing anything there is always a conversion to 64 bit, then some volume adjustment, then conversion back. How to force bitperfect?

WDNET-WL-Envy_.jpg

Sep 27, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #292 of 345
Mam przetwornik cyfrowo-analogowy Wavelight. Do odsłuchania otrzymanego WaveDream Net. O MÓJ BOŻE.

Moje pytania:
1. Po podłączeniu przez I2S (zwykły kabel HDMI używany do telewizora i monitora) prawy i lewy kanał został podłączony do przełącznika miejsca w ogólnym do AES lub SPD. Masz pomysł, jak to zrobić? ustawienie formatu WL I2S 1,2 lub 3 niczego nie zmienia.

WD NET I2S 1 i2S 2
L-R R-L

Attachments

• WD NET chanel R__L.jpg
    WD NET chanel R__L.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 5:53 AM Post #293 of 345
Hi all!!

I am looking into using the i2s input on my wavedream (i have the first version with MSB modules).

I have three questions:

One: if you connect i2s does the clock setting mean that if you choose "local" the internal clocks still work and if it is set to "stream" the clocks of the DDC/streamer work and bypass the internal clocks?

Two: is i2s input "2" the ps-audio compatible input

Three: what type/make are the internal clocks of my wavedream (MSB modules)

Thank you!

Nov 6, 2023 at 6:01 PM Post #294 of 345
Hi all!!

I am looking into using the i2s input on my wavedream (i have the first version with MSB modules).

I have three questions:

One: if you connect i2s does the clock setting mean that if you choose "local" the internal clocks still work and if it is set to "stream" the clocks of the DDC/streamer work and bypass the internal clocks?

Two: is i2s input "2" the ps-audio compatible input

Three: what type/make are the internal clocks of my wavedream (MSB modules)

Thank you!
1) yes
2) I just tested mine (RD-0 Signature modules) and both i2s ports are identical, which makes my Denefrips Gaia happy
3) I dunno, so I always selected stream so I'd be using the Gaia clock

Does this DAC get regular firmware updates? Is there a public site for downloading them? Rockna never gave me the time of day so I gave up asking them. I guess that's the Romanian culture? The Chinese at Audio-gd would do anything to keep me happy. Qing-wa gave me feedback on my videos and sent me the DI20HE settings for pairing it with Rockna. Have computer issues? He'll have his staff remote into my audio computer while I sleep to resolve it. This actually reminds me of PS-Audio who had a meeting then flashed my P3 in New Jersey from Colorado.

Nov 7, 2023 at 4:43 AM Post #295 of 345
Thank you for the answer!

I tested the i2s inputs with a Singxer SU6 set for PS-Audio format and it worked, tested on random input because i had connected both i2s inputs with 2 long hdmi cables to be easy to reach in front of my rack, so i don't actually know which one worked but i have marked the one that did, so when i move the rack again i will know.

But in any event i am sure now it works.

I am planning to build a hiend streamer using the Ian Canada modules on a Rpi4 with i2s output.

Firmware updates work as follows there is a link in the Rockna site https://www.rockna-audio.com/firmware/wavedream-dac

where you have to register your product and by means of the serial number you get to download the appropriate firmware.

In my case a funny thing happened, actually to the previous owner, the serial number referred to a balanced unit but the unit was actually single ended, and as a result he bricked it.

Had to send the mainboard to Romania and it got fixed and returned.

Since then, he or i have not done any firmware updates because he was rather afraid, and i couldn't get the company to sort out this problem (the inconsistency of my unit being single ended but their records showing balanced) in order to send me the latest (older) firmware update for my unit which has the MSB modules.

So, i have very old firmware but the dac sounds fine as it is, and i am not bothered too much by it.

Nov 7, 2023 at 7:38 AM Post #296 of 345
@Chris1967 TY the forgot password link was going to spam and this is the first time I noticed that -- I'm registering this thing almost 3 years after purchasing. Also, I'm so used to serial numbers being on a sticker in a corner that I never noticed it h/v centered in the rear in the same font as the input labels (this thing is just too fancy). I see I already have the 4.8 firmware. I remember audio-gd had a flavor of the month (sometimes multiple) that I was flashing with crazy serial cables and software intended for oem engineers. The flash-over-wav was refreshing.

BTW until a couple months ago I didn't like turning on Rockna's filters, but I do listen longer with it on minimum, so that's the winner for me.

Nov 28, 2023 at 5:36 AM Post #297 of 345
I have a Wavelight DAC. I have received a WaveDream Net for auditioning. OMG.

My questions:
1. When connected through I2S (ordinary HDMI cable used for TV and monitor) the right and left channel swapped compared to the AES or SPD. Any idea how to fix it? WL setting I2S format 1,2 or 3 does not change anything.
2. Is the a way to use WDNET as Roon Remote? How?
For the time being I allowed it as server. WDNET audio endpoint is connected to server - as not recognised.
When playing anything there is always a conversion to 64 bit, then some volume adjustment, then conversion back. How to force bitperfect?

WDNET-WL-Envy_.jpg

Any comments how the Wavelight and Wavedream differ? I have almost a similar setup as yours (WL > SET 300B amp).

Nov 29, 2023 at 12:09 PM Post #298 of 345
Any comments how the Wavelight and Wavedream differ? I have almost a similar setup as yours (WL > SET 300B amp).
The WaveDream Net on the picture is a streamer/music server/cd player. The Wavelight is a DAC.
WaveDream DAC I do not have. I have heard it once connected to a Woo WA-23. It was truly remarkable to which level they raised the Meze 109Pro. But I would not do any comparison from memory.

Nov 30, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #299 of 345
The WaveDream Net on the picture is a streamer/music server/cd player. The Wavelight is a DAC.
WaveDream DAC I do not have. I have heard it once connected to a Woo WA-23. It was truly remarkable to which level they raised the Meze 109Pro. But I would not do any comparison from memory.

Ah, my bad. I mistook the NET for Wavedream DAC. :sweat_smile:

Dec 2, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #300 of 345
Has anyone here had positive results adding a decent fuse to their Wavedream? thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back