Rockna Wavedream DAC
Dec 3, 2023 at 3:13 AM Post #301 of 345
I completed (well almost) my streamer project with Rpi4 server/streamer with Gentoo Player in Squeezelite mode with LMS. Also, a friend made me an audiophile network switch (with separate linear power supply and new clock).

The Player is using Ian Canada modules with fifo/reclocker and I2S, powered by his linear PS's and Ultracapacitors.

IMG_20231027_180908.jpg
IMG_20231027_180926.jpg
IMG_20231126_195733.jpg
IMG_20231201_183403.jpg
IMG_20231119_142421.jpg
IMG_20231202_195727.jpg
IMG_20231202_195719.jpg

Cables are Signal Project Hydra for power, Supra Cat8 for ethernet, and Ricable Supreme mk2 I2S.
The results are astonishing in staging detail and focus. More dynamic three dimensional and macro and micro details.

I2S is definetely the way to go.

Dec 3, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #302 of 345
I completed (well almost) my streamer project with Rpi4 server/streamer with Gentoo Player in Squeezelite mode with LMS. Also, a friend made me an audiophile network switch (with separate linear power supply and new clock).

The Player is using Ian Canada modules with fifo/reclocker and I2S, powered by his linear PS's and Ultracapacitors.

IMG_20231027_180908.jpgIMG_20231027_180926.jpgIMG_20231126_195733.jpgIMG_20231201_183403.jpgIMG_20231119_142421.jpgIMG_20231202_195727.jpgIMG_20231202_195719.jpg

Cables are Signal Project Hydra for power, Supra Cat8 for ethernet, and Ricable Supreme mk2 I2S.
The results are astonishing in staging detail and focus. More dynamic three dimensional and macro and micro details.

I2S is definetely the way to go.
@Chris1967 very interesting project and the one that got a lot of attention and love :) Looks great.

Your final results are very interesting as between WLS users there is a consensus that AES could be better then I2S input even thou it does not support upsampling. I'm testing WLS for around a month on both I2S and AES and I must say that except for update I have never connected WL to it via USB since there simply was no need to do it.

Dec 3, 2023 at 1:07 PM Post #303 of 345
Thank you alekc!

Sorry what is WLS?

The thing is that AES (or spdif coaxial) means double conversions, both at the source and the dac. Multiple conversions means jitter creeping in.

I have thought this for quite some time and have come to the conclusion that i2s signal at the source directly to the dac is the purest way of conveying the signal as long as you take care of electrical or electromagnetic noise as best you can and also trying to keep the i2s signal also correctly clocked.

I do not believe in upsampling, it is, for me at least, a trick to beat digital harshness and noise leading to staging lack of focus, due to jitter.

A few friends of mine that use ddc's or use spdif/AES and swear by it.

It is a matter of preference and belief rather than fact.

Rockna is one of few well designed products that has proper engineering in all inputs, but the creator also suggests i2s for better sound quality.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2023 at 5:18 PM Post #304 of 345
@Chris1967 you are welcome :)

WLS = (Rockna) WaveLight Server.

Indeed it seems that I2S is preffered inout by designers, however considering they now have a dedicated product to exploit it there can be some doubts.

My expirence seems to be in line with yours: all inputs including USB do sound great in case of Rockna WL.

Dec 4, 2023 at 2:57 AM Post #305 of 345
Ok, WaveLight Server,

i was considering it from the moment that it was announced a couple of years back, but the retail price together with the not complete firmware made me look elsewhere and eventually into diy.

I had been using RPi's and OdroidC2 for streaming so when i saw the newer Ian Canada circuits i went for it.

A friend of mine has the WaveLight dac and is using it with Singxer SU6 ddc via i2s (Pink Faun hdmi) with good results. Very nice sounding combo, but i think my setup although completely different in terms of speakers and amplification is a step better, to say the least.

hdmi cable makes a big difference, i briefly listened the Pink Faun vs the Ricable Supreme mk2 on the WL/Singxer system and the difference was immediately apparent, don't want to lash out 1000euro at the moment for a 1,5m Pink Faun but it did have a significant effect mainly in staging and focus.

Jan 1, 2024 at 7:38 AM Post #307 of 345
Happy new year!!!
I have the one with the MSB modules, and have listened to the other two versions, the one with the first inhouse modules and the second inhouse modules. The latest model seems to be the better of the two but the MSB one is according to me the best of all.

The MSB has a rounder sweeter sound with excellent imaging and staging without compromising in dynamics. The inhouse models have a leaner and sharper approach in comparison. I think the first inhouse modules had also too much output voltage, making them extremely loud and difficult to match with amps and other inputs. More dynamic though in comparison.

Not huge differences, but obvious in a good system.

I would look for an MSB, and that is what I did I waited nearly three years to get my hands on one.

Otherwise opt for the latest model, with the new screen.

All three are excellent dacs

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:56 PM Post #308 of 345
I'm lucky to had the chance to try Wavedream Signature for a whole day with my reference setup ( ZMF Caldera/Verite and Bakoon PRE7610-Mk3 as amp )

Coming from Wavelight, I'm surprised the overall characteristics of Wavedream quite different from Wavelight. Wavelight seems warmer, sweeter, more laidback and more forgiving

That being said, on technical stuff Wavedream is really worth the 3x asking price from Wavelight. Tonal richness, effortless and purity is so sublime that even though i usually didn't consider to buy DACs that is more than $10k ( Chord Dave, dcs Lina, Mola Mola Tambaqui, etc ), I'm really considering this Wavedream to my setup if i had the money. Best DAC that I've ever heard until now

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2024 at 3:07 AM Post #309 of 345
I'm lucky to had the chance to try Wavedream Signature for a whole day with my reference setup ( ZMF Caldera/Verite and Bakoon PRE7610-Mk3 as amp )

Coming from Wavelight, I'm surprised the overall characteristics of Wavedream quite different from Wavelight. Wavelight seems warmer, sweeter, more laidback and more forgiving

That being said, on technical stuff Wavedream is really worth the 3x asking price from Wavelight. Tonal richness, effortless and purity is so sublime that even though i usually didn't consider to bu DACs that is more than $10k ( Chord Dave, dcs Lina, Mola Mola Tambaqui, etc ), I'm really considering this Wavedream to my setup if i had the money. Best DAC that I've ever heard until now

I’m still quite surprised with how different it sounds than the WL. It’s mellower but very resolving at the same time.

Now I’m curious how the MSB variant sounds. @Chris1967 seems to enjoy his very much. 😂

Jan 15, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #310 of 345
haha, I think I will just copy paste the impression from two person above me. WD Signature is really great. Very organic sounding (as expected based on various reviews I read), but what surprised me is how resolving this DAC. The micro texture, micro detail, the pin point imaging of instrument (even just a small sound on the background) seems really structured.

Wavelight, in direct comparison, seems less dense in tonality, a bit harsher on upper mid/treble, a bit "blurry" and narrow in soundstage image. Vocal's character seems similar, but WD Signature push more transparency and detail there. Bass has more "depth" and shape with WD Signature as well.

Jan 16, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #311 of 345
Is the Wavedream Edition SE considered a noticeable upgrade from a Spring 3 KTE? I'm trying to get some more bass / slam out of the Susvara and it seems like the Wavedream has that signature. Is it correct that the Edition SE vs XLR balanced will not have any significant difference in sound?

Will be paired with a Holo Bliss KTE. Playing around with ideas for other amps but I keep coming back to WA33 EE, Riviera AIC-10 as the next upgrade from Bliss KTE but that probably won't happen for a while. Open to trying CFA3 also if its better than Bliss KTE for bass/slam without losing out on the other great properties of the Susvara.

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #312 of 345
Is the Wavedream Edition SE considered a noticeable upgrade from a Spring 3 KTE? I'm trying to get some more bass / slam out of the Susvara and it seems like the Wavedream has that signature. Is it correct that the Edition SE vs XLR balanced will not have any significant difference in sound?

Will be paired with a Holo Bliss KTE. Playing around with ideas for other amps but I keep coming back to WA33 EE, Riviera AIC-10 as the next upgrade from Bliss KTE but that probably won't happen for a while. Open to trying CFA3 also if its better than Bliss KTE for bass/slam without losing out on the other great properties of the Susvara.
If you specifically looking for bass/slam from Susvara you may look into the Feliks Envy amp thread. There are very positively surprised comments about that combo with that aspect.

Jan 16, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #313 of 345

@Chronos I confirm @Newsee recommendation of Feliks Envy. Pairing with Susvara is sublime, however if you are looking for a lot of bass (including artificially added one) Rockna paired with Envy may not be your best best. Since you are asking about dac, I would say that if you would like to follow Envy path, Sonnet Morpheus dacs are more darker and meaty than Rockna WaveLight (haven't done a comparison with WaveDream) with Envy + Full Music tubes thus giving the impression of more bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back