Rockna Wavedream DAC
Jan 17, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #316 of 345
Aside from the Morpheus, check out Abbas DACs. They're one of the slammiest DACs on the market AFAIK.

I just checked about them. I think the shaped of the product, the names, and how they use vintage chip, really reminds me of Audionote product.

Audionote DAC is among the thickest and smoothest DAC I ever tested.

Jan 17, 2024 at 1:44 PM Post #318 of 345
If you specifically looking for bass/slam from Susvara you may look into the Feliks Envy amp thread. There are very positively surprised comments about that combo with that aspect.
I own the Envy and Susvara with WE300B Tubes and Cambridge Edge NQ DAC it sounds amazing can confirm the punch and huge soundstage and layering 🙌🏼

Jan 18, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #319 of 345
Sorry didn’t mean to turn this in to a Susvara and Envy thread

About the Wavedream though, is it correct that there isn’t a noticeable difference between the Single ended vs XLR Edition?

Is the Wavedream Edition a big upgrade from the Holo Spring 3?

Jan 18, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #320 of 345
Is the Wavedream Edition a big upgrade from the Holo Spring 3?
I would say it is. Before the upgrade to Signature I made the jump between Spring 3 KTE to Edition XLR and I felt like it was a significant jump in technical capabilities. The two brands don't share the same house sound so if you're into the Holo sound (a little less focus on texture as an example) it might not be the upgrade you're looking for.

noticeable difference between the Single ended vs XLR Edition?
as far as I know the single ended is simply half the DAC but performance should be similar so it more depends on what you need to get out of the DAC and what your amplification works best with. I like the balanced versions because it gives you two outputs.

Feb 3, 2024 at 11:18 PM Post #321 of 345
AES vs i2s on WaveDream Net to SIG XLR

Tubulus i2s: Concentus is better than Argentus. Back in early 2021, I was going to ask Aldwin/Tubulus if he could mod Argentus with double run of silver and coincidently he told me he just created Concentus. Now I just noticed they have V2.

Esoteric Mexcel 6300iv AES has more body and bass than Concentus i2S. However the i2S is more detailed.
The esoteric is much more expensive but I don’t have other AES cables to try (not going to bother with mogami/gotham)

So I use AES and i2S depending on music type.

Haven’t tried other i2s like Pink Faun, AQ Diamond, Revelation Audio Labs or higher end Signal Projects, z-Axis, Valhalla2
and don’t plan to as think more sideways move than different like AES or unless I want to test the high $ i2S which may/may not beat out my AES.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2024 at 6:24 AM Post #322 of 345
AES vs i2s on WaveDream Net to SIG XLR

Tubulus i2s: Concentus is better than Argentus. Back in early 2021, I was going to ask Aldwin/Tubulus if he could mod Argentus with double run of silver and coincidently he told me he just created Concentus. Now I just noticed they have V2.

Esoteric Mexcel 6300iv AES has more body and bass than Concentus i2S. However the i2S is more detailed.
The esoteric is much more expensive but I don’t have other AES cables to try (not going to bother with mogami/gotham)

So I use AES and i2S depending on music type.

Haven’t tried other i2s like Pink Faun, AQ Diamond, Revelation Audio Labs or higher end Signal Projects, z-Axis, Valhalla2
and don’t plan to as think more sideways move than different like AES or unless I want to test the high $ i2S which may/may not beat out my AES.

I have the same findings as you. for the wavelight, I have both hooked up (tubulus concentus + network acoustics Muon aes). I only use the i2s when I feel like playing around with upsampling/hqplayer. the NA Muon aes is very nice, as is the bibacord aes (my favourite, and using that between wd net and wd xlr signature).

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:25 AM Post #323 of 345
I have the same findings as you. for the wavelight, I have both hooked up (tubulus concentus + network acoustics Muon aes). I only use the i2s when I feel like playing around with upsampling/hqplayer. the NA Muon aes is very nice, as is the bibacord aes (my favourite, and using that between wd net and wd xlr signature).
Did you compare the Networks Acoustics AES to the Bibacord somewhere?

Feb 4, 2024 at 6:51 AM Post #324 of 345
Did you compare the Networks Acoustics AES to the Bibacord somewhere?

tl:dr, If u have the cash to spare, Bibacord v2 aes/ebu ftw. probably my favourite digital interconnect.

Feb 22, 2024 at 2:36 AM Post #325 of 345
So I recently got a Wavedream Edition XLR and had some interesting initial impressions compared to the Spring 3 KTE and wanted to confirm if this is what others are hearing.

Technically it is significantly better than the Spring 3 in terms of detail retrieval, imaging, layering, separation is amazing with air around each sound, soundstage about the same but maybe deeper, better microdynamics, more forward/clarity in the mids and upper mids. Extends more in the treble without the slight bloom/warmth/veil of the Spring 3. Tighter and more textured bass without the bloom of the Spring 3. Macrodynamics are great but I haven't determined how it differs from Spring 3 yet.

My personal gripe and surprise is that the Spring 3 has more bass quantity especially in the subbass region. Same tracks even when with the music blasting on Wavedream doesn't seem to rumble my Susvara like the Spring 3 does. As a recovering basshead, I'm not sure how I feel about that (yet my most used headphones are the Susvara over my 1266 and TH-900).

I'm conflicted because if its true, then I have to juggle between choosing a technically superior DAC to a more fun sounding DAC. The rounded out/bloom in the bass on the Spring 3 makes it as I call it a fun DAC.

Is this how others hear it? What're your thoughts? I've never heard a May so I don't know how the Spring 3 compares to the May, but my impression of the Wavedream seems similar to some reviewers but nobody seems to mention much about the bass comparison.

I'm listening with filters off, Phase normal, DSD wide, Dither on, via same Neotech USB cable.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #326 of 345
So I recently got a Wavedream Edition XLR and had some interesting initial impressions compared to the Spring 3 KTE and wanted to confirm if this is what others are hearing.

Technically it is significantly better than the Spring 3 in terms of detail retrieval, imaging, layering, separation is amazing with air around each sound, soundstage about the same but maybe deeper, better microdynamics, more forward/clarity in the mids and upper mids. Extends more in the treble without the slight bloom/warmth/veil of the Spring 3. Tighter and more textured bass without the bloom of the Spring 3. Macrodynamics are great but I haven't determined how it differs from Spring 3 yet.

My personal gripe and surprise is that the Spring 3 has more bass quantity especially in the subbass region. Same tracks even when with the music blasting on Wavedream doesn't seem to rumble my Susvara like the Spring 3 does. As a recovering basshead, I'm not sure how I feel about that (yet my most used headphones are the Susvara over my 1266 and TH-900).

I'm conflicted because if its true, then I have to juggle between choosing a technically superior DAC to a more fun sounding DAC. The rounded out/bloom in the bass on the Spring 3 makes it as I call it a fun DAC.

Is this how others hear it? What're your thoughts? I've never heard a May so I don't know how the Spring 3 compares to the May, but my impression of the Wavedream seems similar to some reviewers but nobody seems to mention much about the bass comparison.

I'm listening with filters off, Phase normal, DSD wide, Dither on, via same Neotech USB cable.
This is a common trade-off as you move up to more technically capable components, you lose some of the body, bloom, "fun" in the bass region in favour of tighter, better controlled bass, and technicalities in general like you described with clarity, better extension... I've faced the same dilemma numerous times in my journey through the high-end, 2 steps forward in some areas but 1 step back in other areas and unfortunately the bass bloom/fullness is often the sacrifice. It's fun & frustrating at the same time, but there are ways around it by finding better synergized components with strengths in areas you lost, etc.. could also very well be the Wavedream's synergy with your other components isn't the right fit for your preference

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 12:14 AM Post #327 of 345
The Wavedream is pretty amazing. Recently listened to it with the D8000 Pro LE and all the short comings of it are fixed with the Dreamwave. Previously I felt the D8K PLE was lacking in soundstage, separation, and bit of detail compared to Susvara both being on Holo May. The synergy with D8K or rather the technicalities of the WD have brought it up to Susvara level and can say it’s just as good as Susvara through the Holo May. It transformed a great headphone to excellent. It becomes such a fun alternative headphone to Susvara.

The synergy with Susvara is interesting. The soundstage being already so large is a bit larger, probably to about as comfortable as I would want it. Separation is even more, but at times it’s almost too separated, as if you blew up the song to little pieces and all the sounds had their own little areas on the black canvas and light up when called upon. It’s pretty amazing but can be distracting at times. I feel like with D8K starting out more closer together, the WD gets it just right.

Either way, this is a technically excellent DAC, with lots of weight to the music, and somehow achieves great macro and microdynamics. Feed it good quality music, and it’ll reward you well. This level of imaging and separation aren’t there with lower quality songs.

Mar 24, 2024 at 12:19 AM Post #328 of 345
Agreed 💯 very good synergy with susvara, even it was paired with holo bliss, i like it better than the combo may kte + bliss (a little more bass impact but so polite and boring ) when rockna does anything else better . im talking about the Wavedream edition not the signature one 😂

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 12:32 AM Post #329 of 345
Agreed 💯 very good synergy with susvara, even it was paired with holo bliss, i like it better than the combo may kte + bliss (a little more bass impact but so polite and boring ) when rockna does anything else better . im talking about the Wavedream edition not the signature one 😂
I have the edition as well, but XLR balanced version. Try it with a WA33 and you’ll achieve even more dynamics, energy, and bass. I owned the Bliss also, it’s tuned like the May.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back