Rockit Sounds R-50 Reviews and Impressions
Mar 12, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #901 of 1,205
Well,
I'm evidently too sensitive to those highs and reading this thread it's clear that some people have the same impression that I do, while others are perfectly fine with them.
It's not that they sound forward to me... they're ear piercing.
Straight from the DAC with the stock tips the sibilance is absolutely unbearable and the highs completely ruin the experience.

I have a C&C BH and a few sets of foam tips on the way, I hope this will tame them because for now I find myself forced to equalize. And kind of tempted to order a pair of GR06 and give the R-50 away.

Mar 12, 2013 at 4:27 PM Post #902 of 1,205
Quote:
It's not that they sound forward to me... they're ear piercing.
Straight from the DAC with the stock tips the sibilance is absolutely unbearable and the highs completely ruin the experience.

Hey I just got mine and voice the same opinion .. Sibilance is unbearable - almost the same as my previous TWFK iem
.. Anyway I got some comply tips and some shure olives. The olives are the best experience and better comfort, although both  kill a good amount of sibilance.
They are very refined and crisp sounding otherwise ..

Mar 12, 2013 at 7:32 PM Post #903 of 1,205
To me they just arent a high volume IEM. Listen at a lower volume and you may find them to be more tolerable. In my opinion bright and highly detailed headphones are better at low volume.

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #905 of 1,205
Clocked around 14 hours on them now.

Clarity and detail is top notch. I think sheer detail wise, they resolve as good or better than the RE-272 even though I am going from memory(which is rather clear)

The refinement is amazing for a TWFK architecture and lags just a touch behind the RE-272 and SE-535 but both are priced considerably higher. I think still the treble is much accentuated for highlighting details as usual and needs the right tips.

Mar 13, 2013 at 10:57 AM Post #906 of 1,205
I have a month with the R-50s. Out of the box the memory wire on the left was separated from its unit but remedied with a drop of super glue, so far so good.  I was disappointed with the sound until I realized that the drivers were horribly mismatched. I evaluate my IEM's with the following http://www.audiocheck.net/soundtests_headphones.php. On a Left vs Right balance on my Cowan J3 the left driver requires a -7 out of a possible 10 shift to correct the imbalance. Ideal would be no change from 0. Now all is quite acceptable. I am new to a treble centric IEM, I found them a bit fatiguing so I fiddled with different tips to see if I could find a solution for me. I tried Etymotic triple flanges, Comply foams and some others. Finally the oval tips from Klipsch really work well for me visa vie comfort and sound. I can use these with some other DAPs but since they are not capable of adjusting for L/R balance they do suffer somewhat. Now that they're dialed in I really appreciate them.

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:48 PM Post #907 of 1,205
Quote:
On a Left vs Right balance on my Cowan J3 the left driver requires a -7 out of a possible 10 shift to correct the imbalance.

so you mean the left has to be dialled down ?

Mar 13, 2013 at 7:23 PM Post #908 of 1,205
The Brainwavz B2's also have driver matching issues (left was louder then the right or vice versa, since I wore them over the ears so they were "backwards").

Mar 14, 2013 at 2:35 AM Post #910 of 1,205
Hey everyone,

I'm really interested in this product, due to many great reviews.

I was about to pull the trigger, however there is one thing stopping me from doing so right now. Over the few days of research, another thing I found out about was there was many complaints towards the build quality (Breaks really fast).

I'm afraid that the product I receive being defective, or so.

Should this build quality problem be a concern for people who are thinking of buying this product?

Mar 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #912 of 1,205
Quote:
Should this build quality problem be a concern for people who are thinking of buying this product?

I think the build quality is decent. I've been using my R-50 for 3 months and I'm really happy with them.

But, here is what I did to achieve such a happiness:

1. I removed the memory wires.

2. I replaced stock tips with modded grey Etymotic triple-flange (converted into double-flange).

3. I'm using eq. settings on Rockboxed Clip+ (bass +6 treble -6)

Comfort, isolation and sound are now, considering the budget, stellar!

Mar 14, 2013 at 8:19 PM Post #913 of 1,205
Quote:

I think the build quality is decent. I've been using my R-50 for 3 months and I'm really happy with them.

But, here is what I did to achieve such a happiness:

1. I removed the memory wires.

2. I replaced stock tips with modded grey Etymotic triple-flange (converted into double-flange).

3. I'm using eq. settings on Rockboxed Clip+ (bass +6 treble -6)

Comfort, isolation and sound are now, considering the budget, stellar!

Question for you... I really am thinking about removing the memory wires like you and others, but I also assume that will void the warrenty?  Any idea if that is true?  Also, did you add any sort of adjustment to where the wire connects with the ear pieces?  I was thinking about maybe putting a dab of some sort of glue which has a bit of give in the little hole areas where the wire connect... but not sure if this will help or hurt the connections in the long run.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #915 of 1,205
"Hey everyone,

I'm really interested in this product, due to many great reviews.

I was about to pull the trigger, however there is one thing stopping me from doing so right now. Over the few days of research, another thing I found out about was there was many complaints towards the build quality (Breaks really fast).

I'm afraid that the product I receive being defective, or so.

Should this build quality problem be a concern for people who are thinking of buying this product?"

You should look at the GH-ERC-DMS which is also a TWFK Knowles armature IEM, I think it has much better durability. I once puked onto it unknowingly and even stepped on it once .. but nothing happened. Did take me two days to clean it though.
The sound is almost the same. Its $100.00.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back