Rockit Sounds R-50 Reviews and Impressions
Mar 15, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #916 of 1,205
Quote:
Question for you... I really am thinking about removing the memory wires like you and others, but I also assume that will void the warrenty?  Any idea if that is true?

I guess it's true. I would be common sense beeing a major product alteration. Not sure anyway.

Quote:
I was thinking about maybe putting a dab of some sort of glue which has a bit of give in the little hole areas where the wire connect... but not sure if this will help or hurt the connections in the long run.

I didn't use any glue. Just wanted to keep thinghs, you know... clean.
However, the dab of epoxy that 23t23dS is suggesting sounds like a good idea so I might be reconsidering...

Quote:
I removed the memory wires too and strengthened the joints with a dab of epoxy

Any chance you could post a picture?

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #917 of 1,205
Given the number of people posting about build quality issues, I think that it would be useful to relate my experience with the R-50.  Ever since I got them, my R-50's left housing can be turned.  At first I did not understand how could that be and I saw it as a plus despite the fact that I knew that it was not intended to work that way.  Seeing the picture in a previous post of the R-50 without the memory wire, I realized that my set did not have the left housing attached to the memory wire.  With time it has become looser than it was when I got them.  Now it doesn't feel just like a turning housing.  As it has become looser, it is noticeable that something is not right with it.  This does not affect functionality for me.  I wear the R-50 straight down and therefore there is not much pressure applied to the memory wire + housing assembly.  Also, it is obvious that the cables are properly attached/connected to the housing because there have not been any sound cut off issues even while turning the housing to test them for sound cut offs.

I treat all my audio gear kindly.  So, despite this build quality flaw, I do not foresee my R-50 failing me.  Also, the braided wire because of its nature, is stronger than it looks or feels.  However, with all the issues reported in this thread, I can see that there is a reasonable risk for someone to get a pair with a serious build quality issue that can not be ignored.

Techno Kid, since you are the Head-Fi.org R-50 representative, it would be good that in the name of all of us in this thread, you write the R-50 people letting them know about this.  There have been too many issues posted to be ignored for both the seller and potential buyers to feel safe about future sales or purchases.

Mar 17, 2013 at 9:03 AM Post #918 of 1,205
I agree about contacting them and letting them know that people are beginning to be question the build quality of their flagship iem. I loved the sound and found the highs to be controlled when I had a good seal, I used P-series Comply's and Shure olives. I loved the details and sound quality and hated to ask for a refund in under 90 days, the infamous left wire going into the housing came loose. The metal connector came out of the housing and the left monitor could spin totally in a 360. The sound still worked but for how long? I am very easy with my equipment. The customer service was really prompt and they handled my return cordially, but I still would have liked to hold on to them. I am using the Westone UM3X RC as my daily use iem now.

Mar 17, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #919 of 1,205
I agree about contacting them and letting them know that people are beginning to be question the build quality of their flagship iem. I loved the sound and found the highs to be controlled when I had a good seal, I used P-series Comply's and Shure olives. I loved the details and sound quality and hated to ask for a refund in under 90 days, the infamous left wire going into the housing came loose. The metal connector came out of the housing and the left monitor could spin totally in a 360. The sound still worked but for how long? I am very easy with my equipment. The customer service was really prompt and they handled my return cordially, but I still would have liked to hold on to them. I am using the Westone UM3X RC as my daily use iem now.

Even I have faced the same thing, but there is a solution that will keep the cable in its place for long, that is if you do not t care about the looks(which is already bad :wink: you can tie a nylon thread at the cable-entry into the housing and tie it together with housing, this way the cable will not move.

Mar 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #920 of 1,205
got the iems a couple of days ago and really enjoying them with the memory wire cut off.
wanting to get some tips for a better seal.
so far, ive seen suggestions for comply tx100, shure olives and ety triples.
any else?

Mar 19, 2013 at 11:39 AM Post #921 of 1,205
got the iems a couple of days ago and really enjoying them with the memory wire cut off.
any else?

I think the shure yellow foams give them the best tonality. Reminds me of the RE-272 in so many ways but with a meatier low end. To me this is the best pairing, but the only gripe is the itchy yellow foams that might need removal very often. Also its very hard to remove these from the nozzle due to its delicate material.. it might get pried off from the base. The usual methods of 'nailing' doesn't work like it works with olives. Regards,

Mar 19, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #922 of 1,205
Quote:
any else?

I've been having good experiences with the Sony Hybrids over the past few months.

Mar 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #923 of 1,205
I use Shure Olives on them and they work for me. Sony hybrids are also good but they'll fit a bit loose on the R-50.

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #925 of 1,205
I haven't really had any fit problems with my hybrids, but I haven't had any experience with the Shures. I had some Eto triple flanges, but they keep falling out of my ears, so I went with the Hybrids fulltime.

Mar 21, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #927 of 1,205
Has anyone felt that their R-50s fell apart because they took off the guide wires?  Also wondering how you all took them off without damaging the cord?

Mar 21, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #928 of 1,205
Hi, I'm looking for a good pair of IEM and these R-50 looks really good for that price, the only problem I saw in some review is the build quality (someone say that they aren't very durable) and I need to use them during the work-out (mostly high-impact training in these days) so have anyone tried using them in these situations? How is their resistance compared with others IEM in the same price range (like VSonic GR07 MKII)?

Thanks.

Mar 21, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #929 of 1,205
Quote:
Hi, I'm looking for a good pair of IEM and these R-50 looks really good for that price, the only problem I saw in some review is the build quality (someone say that they aren't very durable) and I need to use them during the work-out (mostly high-impact training in these days) so have anyone tried using them in these situations? How is their resistance compared with others IEM in the same price range (like VSonic GR07 MKII)?

Thanks.

I wouldn't really recommend these for workouts bud, nor any other IEM at this price.  MEElectronics M6-BK-MEE Sport Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones with Memory Wire (Black) is what I use and love them for working out and running.  Sound quality is pretty good, and if something happens... who really cares for that price.  Plus they stick in your ears great.  There is a sport version of this IEM too, but I didn't like them as they have a very short cord by default (to use with an armband) and then had an adapter to make the cord longer.  I found this annoying when I just wanted to put my ipod in my pocket.  The version above just has a normal length cord with a clip which is ideal IMO.

The R-50 are GREAT for just everyday listening though.

Mar 21, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #930 of 1,205
Quote:
I wouldn't really recommend these for workouts bud, nor any other IEM at this price.  MEElectronics M6-BK-MEE Sport Noise-Isolating In-Ear Headphones with Memory Wire (Black) is what I use and love them for working out and running.  Sound quality is pretty good, and if something happens... who really cares for that price.  Plus they stick in your ears great.  There is a sport version of this IEM too, but I didn't like them as they have a very short cord by default (to use with an armband) and then had an adapter to make the cord longer.  I found this annoying when I just wanted to put my ipod in my pocket.  The version above just has a normal length cord with a clip which is ideal IMO.

The R-50 are GREAT for just everyday listening though.

Uhm.. probably you are right, better something cheaper for the workout and e bettere IEM like the R-50 for daily listening. I'll look for for some low cost sport-oriented IEMs, thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back