Rockit Sounds R-50 Reviews and Impressions
Apr 12, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #1,156 of 1,205
  I'd go with the VC1000. Smooth highs with a little more bass but less soundstage. About the same price as the R-50.

I noticed that you have re-shelled your R-50. I'm thinking of doing the same but would want some affirmation that reshelling will not alter the sound of these IEMs significantly. I'm using the R-50 with Tri-flanges and find them to be just the right amount of warmth and bass quantity. 

Did you notice any significant change in sound pre and post reshell? Is there any sibilance?  My cable is about to give way (they are slowly undoing themselves) 

Apr 13, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #1,157 of 1,205
  I noticed that you have re-shelled your R-50. I'm thinking of doing the same but would want some affirmation that reshelling will not alter the sound of these IEMs significantly. I'm using the R-50 with Tri-flanges and find them to be just the right amount of warmth and bass quantity. 

Did you notice any significant change in sound pre and post reshell? Is there any sibilance?  My cable is about to give way (they are slowly undoing themselves) 

I have replied to your PM on this.

Decrease in bass quantity and next to no sibilance are the biggest audible differences. I would assume the former difference is due to my choosing the Shure SE-535 cables and would suggest instead to go for copper cables if you have the choice.

Apr 13, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #1,158 of 1,205
I think you'll be fine if you ask for longer ear canal impressions. I can't confirm if that was any difference because the whole process took 6 months for me.

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #1,160 of 1,205

Quote:
  i have the R-50 the problem i dont have a seal. anyone can recomended for other tips?

I have the same problem as you before I changed over to the Tri-flanges. The tri-flanges really help eliminate sibilance and bring out the warmness in terms of low end. It shows the IEMs true sound sig (that being a mix of analytical and warm + sweet as well) 

You could alternatively try comply tips with these as well, though I personally don't prefer them due to my own reasons.

A rough comparison done by a fellow head-fier could be found here http://www.head-fi.org/products/rockit-sounds-r-50/reviews/8793

Quote:

I have replied to your PM on this.

Decrease in bass quantity and next to no sibilance are the biggest audible differences. I would assume the former difference is due to my choosing the Shure SE-535 cables and would suggest instead to go for copper cables if you have the choice.

I think you'll be fine if you ask for longer ear canal impressions. I can't confirm if that was any difference because the whole process took 6 months for me.

Thanks for your replies! Really helpful. I guess these IEMs are worth the reshell alone for the fit and build quality improvements. 

Apr 16, 2014 at 8:31 AM Post #1,161 of 1,205

Thanks for your replies! Really helpful. I guess these IEMs are worth the reshell alone for the fit and build quality improvements. 

Yes, I also had a problem with the R-50 fit. Reshelling it sure helps! And you can also put some detachable cables :)

May 3, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #1,162 of 1,205
I've tried every set of tips I have that fit the R-50 and all of them fit and sound better than the stock ones do.  The best are any foam tip, Sony Hybrids (some say they don't fit on the R-50 but mine fit fine) and the Ety triple flange tips.  So just try all different kinds tell you find one that works because the stock ones really aren't great, not horrible but you can find better.

Are you counting sure olives as a foam tip? How do those stack up vs. The Ety triple flange tips?
I don't want normal foam tips because I find myself removing my headphones often and don't like the idea of having to squish the foam every time I need to reinsert my R-50.

Jun 26, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #1,163 of 1,205
Yeah I hate that about foam tips as well. I just got my r50 and am very disappointed. Compared to the gr07 re400 and westone w2, they definitely are not up to par. I have not try different tips yet, but I hope that will make the sound better.

As of right now they are silibant, slightly congested and the mids are very forward.

Jul 6, 2014 at 2:05 PM Post #1,164 of 1,205
Yeah I hate that about foam tips as well. I just got my r50 and am very disappointed. Compared to the gr07 re400 and westone w2, they definitely are not up to par. I have not try different tips yet, but I hope that will make the sound better.

As of right now they are silibant, slightly congested and the mids are very forward.

I think this is because you are missing the bass you of the dynamic in-ears you have mentioned. What the R-50 does good is the cleanliness of note, its excellent analytical skills while being slightly warm and mustering quite a bass kick. I prefer them with foam tips, especially yellow Shure foams or the olives. This addresses the sibilance problems. Reshelling is another option and the one I opted for.

Regards,
~A

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #1,165 of 1,205
I was just wondering what be a good and affordable setup for the Rock-it R50s. I am asking because although I feel this is a great pair of IEMs I feel it would be so much better if it weren't thin sounding in the vocal department. How could I make this iems more fuller sounding whilst adding dynamism and slightly more impactful bass?

Thanks for your help

Jul 22, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #1,166 of 1,205
  I was just wondering what be a good and affordable setup for the Rock-it R50s. I am asking because although I feel this is a great pair of IEMs I feel it would be so much better if it weren't thin sounding in the vocal department. How could I make this iems more fuller sounding whilst adding dynamism and slightly more impactful bass?

Thanks for your help

The most effective way to do this is to use the R-50 as your only pair of IEMs for long periods.  That means many days at a time.  Our brains adapt to the amount of bass you usually hear.  The R-50 sound thin when I alternate them continually with bass heavier IEMs.  They are no good whatsoever when used that way. But, when I use the R-50 only, the bass is very good and the mids are full and not thing sounding at all.  To that, you can add an equalizer to raise the bass frequencies.  This helps some.  But, in my experience it doesn't make much of a difference when I alternate the R-50 with bass heavier IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back