Rockit Sounds R-50 Reviews and Impressions
Jan 20, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #1,126 of 1,205
  I've had the R50s for about a year now and really feel like they what I'm looking for in sound signature.  Being an appreciation thread I assume a lot of you guys feel the same and appreciate a neutral sound, so I'm wondering what type of full size headphones do you guys prefer?

Personally, I really love the Phiaton Bridge and Phiaton Fusion

Jan 29, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #1,129 of 1,205
Hi guys, I'm new to iems and I'm about to get my first pair. I have two decent (IMHO) oems - grado sr225i and hifiman he300- and I like them both, but I prefer the signature of my grados. So I'm looking for iems with a similar sound, maybe with a little more bass and a bit less treble (I like it forward, but not piercing or fatiguing). I'm considering the rock it r50 and the jvc hafxt 90, but the latter may be to bassy for me. I like fast and present bass, but not boomy. I hope you can give me some advice. Thanks in advance

Feb 2, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #1,130 of 1,205
Hi guys, I'm new to iems and I'm about to get my first pair. I have two decent (IMHO) oems - grado sr225i and hifiman he300- and I like them both, but I prefer the signature of my grados. So I'm looking for iems with a similar sound, maybe with a little more bass and a bit less treble (I like it forward, but not piercing or fatiguing). I'm considering the rock it r50 and the jvc hafxt 90, but the latter may be to bassy for me. I like fast and present bass, but not boomy. I hope you can give me some advice. Thanks in advance

Well, the R-50 has a pretty neutral bass and it is fatiguing.

Feb 2, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #1,131 of 1,205

Well, the R-50 has a pretty neutral bass and it is fatiguing.

What is fatiguing about the R-50?

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #1,133 of 1,205
Treble, mostly on rock for me.

What source are you using?  Do the new cables have silver as a component?

My R-50's treble is the sweetest treble I have ever heard.  Here is the FR graph:

The only big treble peak is a little above 10kHz.  That is the sweet treble zone!  There is a smaller dual peak at about 4-6kHz. That is the fatiguing treble area.  But, that is not a big peak and should not cause much of a fatiguing sound when you have the biggest peak in the sweet treble zone which results in a very good treble decay that takes away most or all of the harshness that arise from the smaller peak at around 4-6kHz.

Techno Kid did not find the treble piercing, either.  See here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600093/rockit-sounds-r-50-review-impressions-appreciation/825#post_9094071

http://www.head-fi.org/t/600093/rockit-sounds-r-50-review-impressions-appreciation/840#post_9130927

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #1,134 of 1,205
I too get pretty annoyed with treble peaks, but I have no issues whatsoever with the R-5os. I had issues with the MEelectronic M6's and the RE-ZEROs, but the R-50s have this amazing resolution in the highs without getting fatiguing for me. They also EQ really well (I add bass to them to bring up the warmth since they can sound a bit clinical to my ears).

Feb 2, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #1,135 of 1,205
The bass is also good on the R-50.  For bass lovers they will not have enough bass.  But, that is different from saying that the bass is wrong because there is not enough bass.  They have more bass than the GRADO SR80 and GRADO headphones bass is clinically adequate.  I love bass as much as bassheads do.  That is why I got the DENON AH-C300.  I can also recognize an adequate or normal amount of bass.  That is what the R-50 have.  They sound bass shy when our brains are or get used to bass abundant headphones and then listen to the R-50.  We discussed the brain adaptation process to bass quantity in this thread.  You can see my comments on the subject on my review on page 30.

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #1,136 of 1,205
  The bass is also good on the R-50.  For bass lovers they will not have enough bass.  But, that is different from saying that the bass is wrong because there is not enough bass.  They have more bass than the GRADO SR80 and GRADO headphones bass is clinically adequate.  I love bass as much as bassheads do.  That is why I got the DENON AH-C300.  I can also recognize an adequate or normal amount of bass.  That is what the R-50 have.  They sound bass shy when our brains are or get used to bass abundant headphones and then listen to the R-50.  We discussed the brain adaptation process to bass quantity in this thread.  You can see my comments on the subject on my review on page 30.

For me, its warmth. Like the weight from the resonations of a cello, or the smokiness of a sultry alto voice like Madeleine Peyroux. The R-50s, again to me, are missing some of that warmth, but I just EQ some of it in and it works well without any distortion or bleeding into the other frequencies.

Feb 3, 2014 at 8:48 AM Post #1,137 of 1,205
What source are you using?  Do the new cables have silver as a component?

I find them fatiguing with any source at medium to high volume. I have used them with N4, C3 and DX50. On classical tracks they are great, but with rock I can't stand much time without having to lower the volume. Maybe it's my recordings or because I can't get a deep insertion.

And our perception of what it's neutral and what's not depends on which is our reference. My neutral bass reference is the R-50 for now. Maybe when I try a really neutral headphone I'll adapt myself and see that the R-50 bass isn't that neutral as I thought.

So for now I find them a little bass light and bright, but that's just my opinion.

I don't know if I made myself clear xD

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #1,138 of 1,205
I find them fatiguing with any source at medium to high volume. I have used them with N4, C3 and DX50. On classical tracks they are great, but with rock I can't stand much time without having to lower the volume. Maybe it's my recordings or because I can't get a deep insertion.

And our perception of what it's neutral and what's not depends on which is our reference. My neutral bass reference is the R-50 for now. Maybe when I try a really neutral headphone I'll adapt myself and see that the R-50 bass isn't that neutral as I thought.

So for now I find them a little bass light and bright, but that's just my opinion.

I don't know if I made myself clear xD

I recommend trying Etymotic tri flanges with them. Really makes them more enjoyable to me

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #1,139 of 1,205
Or Shure Black Olives. I tried Etymotic tri flanges, because many users recommend them, but to me they are uncomfortable. 

Feb 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #1,140 of 1,205
I tried them with dual flanges. Three flanges would probably be uncomfortable to me. But now I have them re-shelled, can't try more tips.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back