Rockhopper M^3 - The Review
Feb 20, 2009 at 6:37 PM Post #166 of 523
Yeah at this point I really want to hear a Beta, but their designs are not that similar. Just an even nicer amp from the same designer.

Feb 20, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #167 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by scootermafia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...There's another $750 amp out there with separate power supply that challenges the M3.

sleesoloinside.jpg

This, or M3?

... Musicdirect sells that amp for $999 including the power supply (which resembles a giant wall wart - not something you'd put on display, it really is a big wall wart). The maker of that amp said in an interview that he doesn't believe in 0.1%/1% resistors, that cheaper ones are just fine. The price on that is exorbitant...

While I liked the Solo, a lot... with my Senns (actually great with them)... it wasn't quite up to the test with low impedance phones (my Grados, and Denons). And... I thought it was way, way, way... overpriced - which is why I returned it!

I would hope the M^3 does a much better job with both.

So... how does the SQ of the Solo compare to the M^3???

By the way... notice the focus of my comment / question - comparitive SQ of these two amps...

Feb 20, 2009 at 8:30 PM Post #168 of 523
I like to stay out of these arguments, but can we stay on the topic of the aspects of the M^3 and just the M^3?

There are bum deals on everything out there, headphone amps, DACs, and headphones included. Even ten overpriced amps out there do not prove that all or the majority are, if your going to drop it then do already... I'm sludging through enough crap already in these forums.

Please save the design judgments on commercial amps as compared to DIY for another thread so that I get a choice.

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:35 PM Post #169 of 523
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like to stay out of these arguments, but can we stay on the topic of the aspects of the M^3 and just the M^3?

There are bum deals on everything out there, headphone amps, DACs, and headphones included. Even ten overpriced amps out there do not prove that all or the majority are, if your going to drop it then do already... I'm sludging through enough crap already in these forums.

Please save the design judgments on commercial amps as compared to DIY for another thread so that I get a choice.

x2

Feb 20, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #170 of 523
When M³'s bass boost is turned all the way off, it has no effect on the signal. And if/when you want it (for whatever reason, to compensate for thin-sounding headphones, or bass-shy recordings), it's available and continuously adjustable. The characteristics of the boost is very modest if the default resistor/capacitor values are used, but the builder can change this (see the "bass boost calculator" section of the M³ website, which shows the curve at maximum boost).

Feb 20, 2009 at 10:39 PM Post #171 of 523
@ Gradofan2

It's possible that the M3 can provide the current that low impedance cans require in ways that the Solo cannot. Maybe someone here can compare them, but the M3 does have a very good power supply design that can keep up with current demands, and of course it is using full-size 17 amp mosfets. It did well with my father's K701s, that's for sure - they actually had some bass which surprised me, and a bit more detail than my HD650s. The setup I have is much more expensive than his OBH-11 that I got him but the M3 definitely sounded sick with K701s. It also made my iGrados sound nearly as good as HD650s and made me curious to get into the Grado sound. Could be a good amp for you.

At the same time people like it with Senns because it has separated the voltage demands to where that is all the op amps are providing and the current gain is handled by transistors, so it has an easier time dealing with the Senns' need for voltage. OTL tube amps are still inherently a better match, but I love the way solid state complements the majority of my music.

Feb 23, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #173 of 523
So, looks like Stephen at Rockhopper moved 2 new M3s today. If you're a buyer, post on this page, and post your impressions. Then roll in some 627/637s and see what you think.

Feb 23, 2009 at 9:40 AM Post #174 of 523
^yeah, he put two and they have already been sold out...

Feb 23, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #176 of 523
at least he hasn't given up on us...the M3s may start flowing regularly.
but i think it'll be a little while before more...got some sigma-11s in the queue plus he's finishing off that sexy Buffalo DAC

Mar 9, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #179 of 523
Just saw it, still not sold yet. Shouldn't be long...
Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

Users who are viewing this thread

Back