Rockbox Xduoo X3
Oct 12, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #2,431 of 2,617
So my
RB'd X3 has been pretty good for a while, but today I accidentally fumbled it a bit while switching headphones a bunch and now the volume is like 20DB louder and there is a strange new icon on my screen. See attached image.

Anyone know what I somehow enabled? The documentation of RB for the X3 seems poor at best!

I would start by asking what theme you're running. Then we can figure out what that icon is. Because many themes don't display certain things. So the fact that icon is in that theme will be a good clue to fgur out what it is (and therefore how to undo whatever it was you did).

Oct 13, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #2,433 of 2,617
The hi-fi theme

OK, according to that theme, that headphone looking icon is simply a representation of the volume.

Since you are not sure what setting you changed, what I would do is just reset the Rockbox settings.

To do that, go to Settings - Manage Settings, and choose Reset Settings.

Oct 18, 2018 at 9:06 PM Post #2,434 of 2,617
Hey guys, all the sudden my xduoo X3 won’t boot. I tried a new SD card, freshly formatted with FAT32, and with a fresh copy of the latest Rockbox copied to the root.

All it does is hang at this screen, no matter what I do.

Any help would be appreciated.

CC313A3B-485E-4193-A812-A6A6808E5ACE.jpeg

Oct 18, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #2,436 of 2,617
I have that happen from time to time. Usually pressing the reset butting for a few seconds gets it to shutoff and then when I hit power it powers on and boots correctly.

Also if you have a 2nd microSD, try removing that before you try booting it

Thanks for your response.

I am able to get it shut off if I remove both cards and hit reset. It will then turn on, say it’s missing the Rockbox partition, and shut completely off after about 5 seconds.

It’s when I try and start it with any media card (in either slot), it just freezes with the screen I showed above.

If you look at the Rockbox version in the above photo, you will note it is not the latest version. I am still 1 version behind, but I have had no issues before now, so I didn’t really have a reason to upgrade (ie like the saying goes, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it).

Finally, I can’t boot to the stock firmware, because dual booting to the stock firmware stopped working about a year ago. Otherwise, if I could get back into the stock firmware, I could just reload Rockbox using the update.zip method.

If I can’t get it to boot up and work, I guess my only option is to find an old windows 7 computer and try and reflash the stock firmware and start over from there.

If anyone has any other advice, I’m all ears.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #2,438 of 2,617
that's what i'd do.
if rockbox folder in the card is corrupted, you could backup cfg files, playlists, etc. and recreate it. i'd try this first.
if boot script is corrupted, guess your solution is the only one.

Unfortunately I tried that with no luck.

I took a freshly FAT32 formatted card, copied a fresh copy of the latest .rockbox, and tried to boot it multiple times.

My guess is whatever bug had been slowly corrupting the stock firmware portion of the dual boot, eventually creeps over to the Rockbox boot loader and corrupts that.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #2,439 of 2,617
Unfortunately I tried that with no luck.

I took a freshly FAT32 formatted card, copied a fresh copy of the latest .rockbox, and tried to boot it multiple times.

My guess is whatever bug had been slowly corrupting the stock firmware portion of the dual boot, eventually creeps over to the Rockbox boot loader and corrupts that.
Try removing the battery and plugging it again.

Oct 20, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #2,442 of 2,617
Hey guys, all the sudden my xduoo X3 won’t boot. I tried a new SD card, freshly formatted with FAT32, and with a fresh copy of the latest Rockbox copied to the root.

All it does is hang at this screen, no matter what I do.

Any help would be appreciated.

Woo hoo, I brought my X3 back from the dead!

I was finally able to reflash it, and now I have the latest Rockbox version AND dual boot with the stock firmware again!

Even using Windows 7, there are a few errors/issues with the manual install instructions on the @XVortex website, as well as some missing files from the xduoo manual reflash file posted there. With a bunch of trial and error, I figured everything out and bingo!

It wouldn’t surprise me if this is the reason why other users have not been very successful when trying to manually reinstall Rockbox.

Anyways, something else I noticed during the process: once the reflash process started working, it seemed like it would hang/freeze at certain %. It would just sit there for an eternity not moving at all. I was tempted to reboot the X3 and start over numerous times, but I was patient and let it continue on its own. Then all the sudden it would move a few more % for a while, then seemingly freeze up again for a long time. Finally it finished successfully.

From start to finish, the reflash tool took 40 minutes (not 2-3 minutes like the instructions said it should have taken)!! This is why I kept thinking something was wrong. Thank gosh I was patient and just let it do its thing.

The latest Rockbox firmware seems snappier to use and navigate through the menus. Maybe it’s just my imagination though.

In any case, I’m happy everything is back up and working again. Since my X3 died, I was having withdrawal symptoms LOL

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #2,444 of 2,617
So it's been so long since I've listened to music on the X3's stock firmware. I hate to admit, but it seems to sound better on the stock firmware vs Rockbox. I am not sure why.

It is not the +6dB gain default on the stock firmware, because that XVortex built that into his Rockbox port. And it's not the slightly faster timing. It's the actual sound. It just sounds cleaner and clearer, with a bit more clarity and resolution. A/Bing the exact same songs in Rockbox sound slightly darker and slightly lower resolution.

I've tinkered with all of the Rockbox settings I can think of - I just can't get it to sound as good as the stock firmware sounds.

Has anyone else noticed this?

Oct 23, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #2,445 of 2,617
Just bought a X3II, put XVortex's dual-boot with Rockbox on there.

In HIBY player:
  • Weird skin
  • All functionality (USB DAC, Bluetooth)
  • Sleep mode
  • XVortex's tweak allows 30000 max songs rather than 15000....I am only using 1500 at the moment :p
In Rockbox:
  • Sound seems to pop every time a track is started from nothing (especially from poweron), not between
  • Battery life seems to be shocking in comparison, need to try and work out a proper way to compare
  • Ok theme, further themes can be added via Android ADB (I used qtADB) but most break...few rockbox themes have had to operate at this resolution I guess
    Would really like it to display bitrate/format on the now playing screen.
  • Unsure how to lock keys
  • Last.fm logging (this means so much to me, but the battery life is a big problem that may make me only use HIBY)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back