Rockbox Xduoo X3
Apr 15, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #2,266 of 2,617
I've been using my older used purchased from eBay for $60 version with the latest RockBox version since I installed it November of last year. I don't have dual boot issues nor have I seen the forward button misbehaving as discussed.

Is there anyone out there who can dual boot but has the misbehaving forward button? Or is this truly an indicator of the possible internal differences and proof that there are multiple hardware differences?

I really would like to know. I have a brand new one here that I picked up on a Gearbest sale that I want to setup for a friend but I've been leery of hitting the dual boot issue. If there was a way to get back to just stock I wouldn't worry as much.

You mean "get back to stock" as in for just a few minutes (ie dual boot)? Or "get back to stock" as in permanently (like when selling it or something)? Because you can get the original xduoo firmware from the download site and reflash it back to stock.

Apr 15, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #2,267 of 2,617
Is there anyone out there who can dual boot but has the misbehaving forward button? Or is this truly an indicator of the possible internal differences and proof that there are multiple hardware differences?

Yes. I can dual boot, but have the 'forward button acting as select' issue. Maybe it's a hardware revision thing - which would mean there are more than two - or maybe a build quality thing. Either way, it's sent me back to my Clip Zip.

This may be a hardware issue then.

And if it is happening to more than 1 person, it could be that it only happens on the 'new hardware' that has been rumored (ie the same 'new hardware' that seems to also have dual boot not working).

Nope. That isn't it. I can dual boot, but also suffer from this pretty critical usability bug.

Last edited:
Apr 15, 2018 at 11:52 PM Post #2,268 of 2,617
I'm using Foobar2000 to manage and play my 67k lossless files on PC. With it's batch convert options it would be a fairly effortless thing to do. (with SOX it takes about as much time to convert as it is to copy to an other hdd or even ssd & it has auto subfolder creation and you can specify naming schemes)

I'm also using foobar2k with a particular scheme so that it preserves the existing folder structure. You'll run it once for a few hours on a multicore machine (I also have around 20k FLACs). Thereafter, additional conversion will of course be quick.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #2,269 of 2,617
The older version of Rockbox with the current bootloader produces the bug still..

Yes. I can dual boot, but have the 'forward button acting as select' issue. Maybe it's a hardware revision thing - which would mean there are more than two - or maybe a build quality thing. Either way, it's sent me back to my Clip Zip.

Here's some general things that you guys can try to troubleshoot this 'forward button acting as select' problem...

List what you have for the following settings:
  • Settings - General Settings - Database - Load to RAM
  • Settings - General Settings - Database - Auto Update
  • General Settings - System - Disk - Directory Cache
  • Settings - Playback Settings - Fade on Stop/Pause
  • Settings - Playback Settings - Pause on Headphone Unplug - Pause on Headphone Unplug
  • Settings - Playback Settings - Prevent Track Skipping
  • Settings - Playback Settings - Rewind Before Resume
  • Settings - Playback Settings - Rewind on Pause
Also, you can try these additional steps:

1. Deleting your database file, as it causes odd problems when it gets corrupt. To do so, put the card in a USB reader and delete all the database files (i.e. all the files beginning with 'database_'). Reboot Rockbox, and then initialize the database by going to Settings - General Settings - Database - Initialize Now.
2. Delete nvram.bin (in the .rockbox folder). Rockbox will rebuild it when it restarts (it may take a few minutes). When that gets corrupt it can cause issues.
3. Create a log file by going to Settings - General Settings - Database - Gather Runtime Data and selecting Yes and rebooting. Before it will start logging, you must 1st initialize the database by going to Settings - General Settings - Database - Initialize Now. If you do step #1 above, you will still have to initialize the database as instructed in step #3.

Apr 16, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #2,270 of 2,617
Here's some general things that you guys can try to troubleshoot this 'forward button acting as select' problem...

List what you have for the following settings:
  • Settings - General Settings - Database - Load to RAM
  • Settings - General Settings - Database - Auto Update
  • General Settings - System - Disk - Directory Cache
  • Settings - Playback Settings - Fade on Stop/Pause
  • Settings - Playback Settings - Pause on Headphone Unplug - Pause on Headphone Unplug
  • Settings - Playback Settings - Prevent Track Skipping
  • Settings - Playback Settings - Rewind Before Resume
  • Settings - Playback Settings - Rewind on Pause
Also, you can try these additional steps:

1. Deleting your database file, as it causes odd problems when it gets corrupt. To do so, put the card in a USB reader and delete all the database files (i.e. all the files beginning with 'database_'). Reboot Rockbox, and then initialize the database by going to Settings - General Settings - Database - Initialize Now.
2. Delete nvram.bin (in the .rockbox folder). Rockbox will rebuild it when it restarts (it may take a few minutes). When that gets corrupt it can cause issues.
3. Create a log file by going to Settings - General Settings - Database - Gather Runtime Data and selecting Yes and rebooting. Before it will start logging, you must 1st initialize the database by going to Settings - General Settings - Database - Initialize Now. If you do step #1 above, you will still have to initialize the database as instructed in step #3.

None of these settings should help the button problem, because when I went back to your older rockbox version I used a different SD card and it had no cache or database files on it. Also the issue appears whilst using the arrow keys to navigate settings & menus, so playback settings should have no effect either.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Already flashed back the stock firmware & converted all my files on it to 48khz and converted the one album I had where gapless matters to a single flac file. So unless a solution is found for the phantom button press problem I won't be using Rockbox again. (also comparing the sound quality of 44.1>48khz converted files on stock vs. 44.1 on Rockbox is quite interesting, stock with the inferior file might just sound better???) I guess too bad Vortex no longer reads this thread, because I think a software fix could be possibly be workable with just adding a few lines of code to make sure that after pressing either arrow button "play" button activity cannot be triggered for a tenth of a second, or something.

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #2,272 of 2,617
You mean "get back to stock" as in for just a few minutes (ie dual boot)? Or "get back to stock" as in permanently (like when selling it or something)? Because you can get the original xduoo firmware from the download site and reflash it back to stock.

How do you reflash it back to stock if you have the dual boot issue? I tried the manual procedure to get back to stock from xvtx.ru/rockbox/, but I always get an error (I tried it on a virtual Windows XP machine as well as a Windows 7 one). I can't find any flashing tool on the Xduoo website.

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #2,273 of 2,617
How do you reflash it back to stock if you have the dual boot issue? I tried the manual procedure to get back to stock from xvtx.ru/rockbox/, but I always get an error (I tried it on a virtual Windows XP machine as well as a Windows 7 one). I can't find any flashing tool on the Xduoo website.
This was the issue that is keeping me from installing on my brand new device even though its working perfectly on the old used one I purchased. @Slater this was what I had meant when I said not being able to return to stock Xduoo firmware. I did mean as if I were to sell it because truthfully if it didn't support RockBox that's what I'd do. I thought that earlier when I offered suggestions on ways to potentially get things working I suggested going back to the original firmware and just starting over and that's when the issue of not being able to return to stock got mentioned in passing.

So to confirm…has anyone with the does not dual boot issue with RockBox been able to successfully restore the Xduoo factory firmware?

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:55 AM Post #2,274 of 2,617
  • You'll need a sdcard formatted FAT32.
  • Then you download the "X3 v1.1.rar" file on XVotrex's website (http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/download.htm)
  • Extract the zip file out of the X3 v1.1.rar file, and rename it to "update.zip"
  • Put the update.zip on the root of the memory card using a usb card reader
  • Install card into X3 and turn on X3

Apr 16, 2018 at 5:17 AM Post #2,275 of 2,617
170609 rockbox. Can't boot stock fw. My X3 is at least a year old. I used to be able to boot stock fw so I assume it's a rockbox fw problem. Also, I used to have the skip play problem but can't remember it happening recently.

Apr 16, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #2,276 of 2,617
  • You'll need a sdcard formatted FAT32.
  • Then you download the "X3 v1.1.rar" file on XVotrex's website (http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/download.htm)
  • Extract the zip file out of the X3 v1.1.rar file, and rename it to "update.zip"
  • Put the update.zip on the root of the memory card using a usb card reader
  • Install card into X3 and turn on X3

Thanks for the instructions. I will try this out tonight and report back. I would also be interested if anyone has managed to do this.

Apr 16, 2018 at 6:19 AM Post #2,278 of 2,617
I’m very curious to if that works.
I thought you still needed to boot in original mode, to run/activate that update.
That's what I thought also. And since the dual boot problem was that you couldn't boot into the Xduoo firmware then obviously you couldn't select update from the original firmware to return back to the original Xduoo only firmware. A definite catch-22.

I'd love to learn I'm wrong because then I could safely try RockBox on this new unit and get it all set up to give away. Currently I just gave them an inexpensive Benjie along with a don't worry if you break or loose it. If you really hate it try giving it to a friend since its so cheap its gone as far as I'm concerned.

Apr 16, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #2,280 of 2,617
I’m very curious to if that works.
I thought you still needed to boot in original mode, to run/activate that update.

It's possible that it only works with the stock update. It's been so long I don't remember. But since there has been a huge rash of people lately that have been trying to get back to the stock firmware, I thought I would try and help out with some possible solutions (since XVortex isn't around).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back