Rockbox Xduoo X3
Jan 31, 2018 at 8:56 PM Post #2,162 of 2,617
Not sure if this will be helpful, but the SD association, a real entity that deals with SD card standards and the like offers their official formatter. My go to app for this. They even offer a Mac version in addition to the PC one. Link:

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

This forces a valid based on the SD spec format which would be exFAT since the card is over 32 Gb. But it is the by-the-book part I believe is important. Then I use this to reformat back into FAT32. Link:

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/

They offer command line and GUI versions. I, being lazy, use the GUI one.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #2,164 of 2,617
Today i have tried your suggestions and it works perfectly.
Glad to hear it fixed the problem. Its much like the turn off your PC and restart it approach to fixing an issue. Go back to a known state. And I really believe that SD association formatter is the key to getting things as close to right out of the package as you can get. Only takes a minute to run and I use it before I do anything strange with a SD card, like creating 2 partitions, etc.

Feb 6, 2018 at 12:11 AM Post #2,165 of 2,617
Glad to hear it fixed the problem. Its much like the turn off your PC and restart it approach to fixing an issue. Go back to a known state.

IT Crowd.gif

One of the funniest shows around!

Feb 9, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #2,166 of 2,617
I'm the proud owner of a new rockbox'd xDuoo x3! I'm coming from the Benjie x1 and what an upgrade.

I love it already. Spent a few hours looking through all the settings and tweaking little things like the font.
So one thing I've noticed happened a few times was when I tried to turn it on a few times, the power button wouldn't do anything. I had to press the reset button on the side to turn it on. Has anyone experienced this problem? I'll try figuring out what is causing it since it seems to be pretty random, but it's always if I leave my x3 off for a while then try turning it on again.

I also noticed dual boot doesn't work and I can't boot into the old OS. I turn it off, switch the lock switch to lock and turn it on again. I can hear that faint little 'click', but nothing shows on the display. I can't even turn it off and on again, I have to press the reset button.

I also wanted to ask a question about the 'hifi' theme on rockbox. What does that little meter with a small square mean under the time?

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2018 at 11:55 PM Post #2,167 of 2,617
I do occasionally have the same issue with the power switch not seeming to work. Press for a bit, hear what sounds like a relay then nothing. But a 2nd press has always worked. Since I've been using it recently to burn-in some new IEMs, I've been using it with the Xduoo firmware since that is easier to set up to keep playing while charging. I've never managed to get the RockBox firmware to allow charge and play. However as far as your problem I've not had any problems booting the Xduoo firmware. Turn it off when running RockBox, slide the lock up and press power and I'm running the Xduoo firmware. I did have an issue trying to do that while I had it plugged into power though. Never could get it to work that way. But unplugging then lock then power has always worked.

Feb 10, 2018 at 1:19 AM Post #2,168 of 2,617
Been trying for a while, left it on to see i fit just took a while to boot but nothing. I can hear the small relay switch 'click', but nothing is shown on the display.

Is there a way to reflash the stock firmware without booting from the stock firmware... since I can't?

Feb 10, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #2,169 of 2,617
I've been using it with the Xduoo firmware since that is easier to set up to keep playing while charging. I've never managed to get the RockBox firmware to allow charge and play.

I charge and play with Rockbox all of the time (using a brick charger, in addition to a portable battery charge pack that has a handy built-in cable when on the go).

The key is that not all micro USB cables work. Some cables ("data cables") put Rockbox into "USB mode", which charges but simultaneously locks out the ability to play. Other cables are "charge-only" cables. Charge-only are the ones that charge while simultaneously allowing Rockbox to play.

I don't know if it's the pin arrangement of the USB cable, the addition or absence of a resistor (like on Apple cables), or that the charge cables have fewer wires/pins connected. I'm pretty sure charge-only cables only have the 2 center pins connected, while data cables have all pins connected.

Regardless, you can make your own charge-only cables by severing the data conductors of "data cables". Likewise, you can buy charge-only cables online at all of the normal avenues (search for micro usb charge only cable). I've been lucky enough to have collected quite a few of them from various devices through the years.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #2,170 of 2,617
I've had an Xduoo X3 for over 13 months and love it. I've had minimal problems apart from the occasional freeze - always solved by pressing reset.

Recently I accidentally dropped it from about 5 feet on to a ceramic tiled floor. It still works but the display is pretty unreadable as over half the pixels are missing.

Anyway, I bought a new X3 and wasn't sure how to install Rockbox on it. What I did was take the old 128gb microSD card, put it in the new X3, and run upgrade. This appeared to work fine. Rockbox works perfectly. However, if I lock it, it won't turn on at all. In fact it freezes. I have to press reset to do anything. If I lock it and plug into a USB cable it also freezes and needs a reset.

The problem is, this means I can't transfer files directly to my new X3. I've got round the problem by putting the microSD card in my old X3, transferring files to that and then putting the card back in the new X3. This is tedious as I transfer podcast files pretty well every day. On the other hand, it does work.

I've considered following the Rockbox uninstall process described at xvtx.ru and then exactly following the normal instal process, but I don't want to try anything that might cause worse problems.

Any suggestions?

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:28 PM Post #2,171 of 2,617
I've never managed to get the RockBox firmware to allow charge and play.

If you go into Settings - General Settings - System and scroll down, you'll find "Only Charge on USB Insert." Toggle that to "Yes" and your player will not connect to any USB cable for data. You should be able to charge and play that way. I have data disabled all the time, since I use a (much faster) MicroSD adapter to copy/manage my music.

I've considered following the Rockbox uninstall process described at xvtx.ru and then exactly following the normal instal process, but I don't want to try anything that might cause worse problems.

I think this course of action would be the safest. If it's a software issue, a fresh install from the ground up should help. If it's a hardware issue, you'll simply have the same behavior once you're done.

Feb 12, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #2,172 of 2,617
If you go into Settings - General Settings - System and scroll down, you'll find "Only Charge on USB Insert." Toggle that to "Yes" and your player will not connect to any USB cable for data. You should be able to charge and play that way. I have data disabled all the time, since I use a (much faster) MicroSD adapter to copy/manage my music.

Great advice. No need to worry about getting a data-only USB cable. Just set the setting and you're golden.

Yet another reason why Rockbox rocks. So many options; so finite control.

Feb 13, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #2,174 of 2,617

Which uninstall process are you describing? The only one I see involves booting from the stock firmware and 'updating' it. I have a similar problem to yours, except when I try to boot into the stock firmware (lock switch on lock), nothing shows on my screen and it's frozen until I press the reset switch. I'd like to try to return it to the stock firmware and try rockboxing it again. Maybe something got messed up while flashing the rom..

Feb 13, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #2,175 of 2,617
Which uninstall process are you describing? The only one I see involves booting from the stock firmware and 'updating' it.
Stupid me - we seem to have the same problem. I'd only looked casually and seen there was an uninstall process. I hadn't read down and seen it needed you to boot in native mode - which of course we can't do.
Oh well, just have to get used to loading via a microSD card reader.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back