Rockbox Xduoo X3
Feb 22, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #2,176 of 2,617
I am having a issue of not being able to dual boot has anyone figured that one out? I put the firmware on loads up rockbox no issues when I try to do the poweron lock trick it just stays black screen till I hit the reset button. Never see the old logo anymore. If I take the rockbox out and try same issues, when I let it boot normally I get the partition error missing.

i have the same problem, i'll try and fix it in the coming days and let you know how i go, i just have to find the time.

Feb 25, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #2,177 of 2,617
Ok. From what i can gather after a certain time in 2017 the x3 adopted a different component or underwent some kind of alteration which left the address of possibly the nand chip different to that of which Lord XVortex had configured for the sansa port. Unforseen specification change.

My nand-cfg.h error feels like an address issue. Like it's trying to access something that isn't there, but i know it's there as it's a vital component of the whole design. I'm a fish out of water with ssoc small devices, i think if i get bored one day i'll cut my teeth on this and crash course myself and hack at it. Right now i dont have time. What throws me off is, in my mind the RB port must need to access the nand to change the boot cfg, to inform it to look for the sdcard folder with the new loader on it. Like i said i'm a noob on these types if devices so ii could be way off but as such on the reverse something is giving it an nand cfg error

Just be aware anyone looking to buy the device as of today, there's a very real possibility you will havie the same error when trying to go back to stock firrmware. Only an issue if you can't play something rockbox rejects. Which can happen if it has to resample the file on the fly. Player might heat up and get glitchy, for the most part it's stable and some files have caused strange behavior but i feel the file is just strange like faulty enDAPsulation or some other bizarre anomaly, the whole file is there but only plays 5 Seconds and moves to the next track, this can happen and as far as i can tell , there's a few reasons that can happen, i feel on this device setup a pattern will emerge, time will tell., if your mikrosd is correctly formatted and without bad sectors, your pc is capable and focused on task at hand during time of any interconnected communication, big ting should be smooth transaction a+++ would flash again.

Just be aware if you bought your player after i'd say as a guess.. mid 2017 the liklihood of your player having issues reverting to stock fw could be higher than one that was built prior, i can't speak in absolutes it's just the impression i'm getting through the reading i've done. And i've noticed people are not having any issues flashing rockbox to the newer devices (if they have undderstood and followed the steps correctly) to clarify it's only when the player wants to revert to stock, it has probably been said before i'm just reiterating for the people who stumble upon the latter posts in the thread.

Best of luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 25, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #2,178 of 2,617
I've had an Xduoo X3 for over 13 months and love it. I've had minimal problems apart from the occasional freeze - always solved by pressing reset.

Recently I accidentally dropped it from about 5 feet on to a ceramic tiled floor. It still works but the display is pretty unreadable as over half the pixels are missing.

Anyway, I bought a new X3 and wasn't sure how to install Rockbox on it. What I did was take the old 128gb microSD card, put it in the new X3, and run upgrade. This appeared to work fine. Rockbox works perfectly. However, if I lock it, it won't turn on at all. In fact it freezes. I have to press reset to do anything. If I lock it and plug into a USB cable it also freezes and needs a reset.

The problem is, this means I can't transfer files directly to my new X3. I've got round the problem by putting the microSD card in my old X3, transferring files to that and then putting the card back in the new X3. This is tedious as I transfer podcast files pretty well every day. On the other hand, it does work.

I've considered following the Rockbox uninstall process described at xvtx.ru and then exactly following the normal instal process, but I don't want to try anything that might cause worse problems.

Any suggestions?

You lock it to connect to pc..? In the unlocked position, Try reset button. allow to boot to rockbox. Still unlocked, remaining unlocked... at all times. Then plug the device into usb while device sits idle in rockbox. Is the pc capable of communicating to the device for file transfer?

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #2,180 of 2,617
Ok. From what i can gather after a certain time in 2017 the x3 adopted a different component or underwent some kind of alteration which left the address of possibly the nand chip different to that of which Lord XVortex had configured for the sansa port. Unforseen specification change.

My nand-cfg.h error feels like an address issue. Like it's trying to access something that isn't there, but i know it's there as it's a vital component of the whole design. I'm a fish out of water with ssoc small devices, i think if i get bored one day i'll cut my teeth on this and crash course myself and hack at it. Right now i dont have time. What throws me off is, in my mind the RB port must need to access the nand to change the boot cfg, to inform it to look for the sdcard folder with the new loader on it. Like i said i'm a noob on these types if devices so ii could be way off but as such on the reverse something is giving it an nand cfg error

Just be aware anyone looking to buy the device as of today, there's a very real possibility you will havie the same error when trying to go back to stock firrmware. Only an issue if you can't play something rockbox rejects. Which can happen if it has to resample the file on the fly. Player might heat up and get glitchy, for the most part it's stable and some files have caused strange behavior but i feel the file is just strange like faulty enDAPsulation or some other bizarre anomaly, the whole file is there but only plays 5 Seconds and moves to the next track, this can happen and as far as i can tell , there's a few reasons that can happen, i feel on this device setup a pattern will emerge, time will tell., if your mikrosd is correctly formatted and without bad sectors, your pc is capable and focused on task at hand during time of any interconnected communication, big ting should be smooth transaction a+++ would flash again.

Just be aware if you bought your player after i'd say as a guess.. mid 2017 the liklihood of your player having issues reverting to stock fw could be higher than one that was built prior, i can't speak in absolutes it's just the impression i'm getting through the reading i've done. And i've noticed people are not having any issues flashing rockbox to the newer devices (if they have undderstood and followed the steps correctly) to clarify it's only when the player wants to revert to stock, it has probably been said before i'm just reiterating for the people who stumble upon the latter posts in the thread.

Best of luck.

Very interesting info! I've been watching prices closely, hoping to scoop up another X3 to have as a backup. I will keep this in mind.

Luckily most people aren't planning on ever reverting back to the stock firmware (myself included). That's kind of the whole point of flashing Rockbox in the 1st place.

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:40 AM Post #2,181 of 2,617
Very interesting info! I've been watching prices closely, hoping to scoop up another X3 to have as a backup. I will keep this in mind.

Luckily most people aren't planning on ever reverting back to the stock firmware (myself included). That's kind of the whole point of flashing Rockbox in the 1st place.
I think that's because most people don't have 24 bit sound files. I have 3 albums and boot to the Xduoo firmware to play them. Having RockBox convert them to 16 bit kind of defeats the purpose. Then again I'm unwilling to actually pay for 24 bit files, the 3 I have were free, but then again I'm unwilling to pay the $15 for the special direct from the master tape 16 bit flac versions that sell for $15+ either. Not when I can purchase a used version of practically any CD I want for < $8 and just rip it to flac. Granted the rip from CD won't be as good as one generated from masters without the typical fiddling that happens in producing a CD but unless you only ever plan to own a dozen pieces of music the extra cost adds up way too quickly.

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #2,182 of 2,617
You lock it to connect to pc..? In the unlocked position, Try reset button. allow to boot to rockbox. Still unlocked, remaining unlocked... at all times. Then plug the device into usb while device sits idle in rockbox. Is the pc capable of communicating to the device for file transfer?
My Windows 10 PC just gives the message "USB device not recognised" and indeed it's not visible in explorer.

Feb 27, 2018 at 5:41 AM Post #2,183 of 2,617

Yeah I personally have no desire to revert back to stock firmware as I honestly don't like the stock firmware at all But I tried it because i wanted to see if a certain file gave me problems on stock like it was on RB. I was just troubleshooting and discovered the problem and thought i should share what I came to discover.

Feb 27, 2018 at 5:42 AM Post #2,184 of 2,617
My Windows 10 PC just gives the message "USB device not recognised" and indeed it's not visible in explorer.

Ok so the device functions you just have no usb connectivity whatsoever? Does the screen change to the usb picture when yiu connect or does it stay in usual rockbox menu/now playing?

Feb 27, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #2,185 of 2,617
I think that's because most people don't have 24 bit sound files. I have 3 albums and boot to the Xduoo firmware to play them. Having RockBox convert them to 16 bit kind of defeats the purpose. Then again I'm unwilling to actually pay for 24 bit files, the 3 I have were free, but then again I'm unwilling to pay the $15 for the special direct from the master tape 16 bit flac versions that sell for $15+ either. Not when I can purchase a used version of practically any CD I want for < $8 and just rip it to flac. Granted the rip from CD won't be as good as one generated from masters without the typical fiddling that happens in producing a CD but unless you only ever plan to own a dozen pieces of music the extra cost adds up way too quickly.

Yeah this is cool, each to their own. My favourite music i mean all time faves, i always seek out the highest qual i can. Having the option to boot to stock for 24bit playback is a nice feature for the special tracks. It won't affect most people because most people don't have 24bit files. If you don't own any then you won't need or miss the option, i guess.

Feb 28, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #2,187 of 2,617
The screen changes to the USB picture and then I get the Windows message "USB device not recognised".

strange. tough call, I know what you mean about not wanting to try something and potentially ruining it. I Did find a recovery method here apparently built into the device at https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/XDuooX3 But As your device was physically damaged it could be something other than software that's causing the problem. it would need someone experienced to check it out hands on.

have you tried different USB cables and checking the usb port for any damage? i know it's a bland question but i'm just trying to get a picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 4, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #2,188 of 2,617
Hello,

First time posting, I hope I'm doing this right.

I just got an xDuoo X3. I attempted to install rockbox on it via the usb burn utility from the vortex site. Nothing appeared to be happening when I ran flash_rockbox.bat, (this is on a windows 10 machine), so I unplugged the unit. Now I get nothing on the screen. I am suspecting I have soft bricked it, I say soft brick because the Ingenic USB boot option shows up when I plug the drive in to the windows 10 machine.

My questions are how can I undo this and get rockbox going?

Second question, would it be easier to do this in Linux the recovering and then flashing rockbox? I do have two Linux virtual machines, both 64 bit, one Debian8 the other Ubuntu 17.10.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.
Dave.

strange. tough call, I know what you mean about not wanting to try something and potentially ruining it. I Did find a recovery method here apparently built into the device at https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/XDuooX3 But As your device was physically damaged it could be something other than software that's causing the problem. it would need someone experienced to check it out hands on.

have you tried different USB cables and checking the usb port for any damage? i know it's a bland question but i'm just trying to get a picture.

Mar 4, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #2,189 of 2,617
Hello,

First time posting, I hope I'm doing this right.

I just got an xDuoo X3. I attempted to install rockbox on it via the usb burn utility from the vortex site.…
I installed RockBox on one of mine a few months ago. The directions that you find there are leftovers from an earlier time in the development cycle of the software and aren't needed anymore. Basically you download to your computer, tablet or whatever. Uncompress. Copy the .rockbox folder to the root of the SD card and copy the firmware file (perhaps called update.something its been too long and I don't remember) to the root also. Put the SD card into slot 1 and boot into the Xduoo native firmware. There's an update option in the settings / system menu. You just choose that and RockBox will install itself. Again its been too long that I don't remember if the X3 ends up off or on with RockBox running. These newer instructions are written out more correctly in this thread appearing a few places but definitely after when I was asking about how to install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back