Rockbox Xduoo X3
Sep 26, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #1,891 of 2,617
Wow, seriously that bad to consider applying warranty? I purchased it on november of last year from gearbest, but since I'm from México I guess it will be a real pain in the @ss to try to make that warranty valid, but I think there aren't many options left.

That or just hope for anything bad wents wrong with RockBox :beyersmile:
I really don't think they would honour the warranty seeing as you've put 3rd party firmware on it.

If you like rockbox, Im not sure what you're worried about though? Why should rockbox go wrong in the future and if it did, you can reinstall using their utility right?

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #1,892 of 2,617
Wow, seriously that bad to consider applying warranty? I purchased it on november of last year from gearbest, but since I'm from México I guess it will be a real pain in the @ss to try to make that warranty valid, but I think there aren't many options left.

That or just hope for anything bad wents wrong with RockBox :beyersmile:

Someone else may have an idea. I wonder if the lock button is not working properly...like maybe something loose inside. Personally I would just continue to enjoy it in rockbox mode...unless gearbest is willing to send you another.

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #1,893 of 2,617
Someone else may have an idea. I wonder if the lock button is not working properly...like maybe something loose inside. Personally I would just continue to enjoy it in rockbox mode...unless gearbest is willing to send you another.
Lock button works in rockbox as usual, I use stock fw mainly just for transfer music to the sd card when I'm not near an SD adapter, since the USB connection in RB is kinda unreliable, at least for me. But oh well, I'm just going to follow your advice

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #1,894 of 2,617
I really don't think they would honour the warranty seeing as you've put 3rd party firmware on it.

If you like rockbox, Im not sure what you're worried about though? Why should rockbox go wrong in the future and if it did, you can reinstall using their utility right?
Yeah I use RB all the time anyway, I use stock fw mainly just for transfer music to the sd card when I'm not near an SD adapter, since the USB connection in RB is kinda unreliable, at least for me.
I installed RB for the first time with the SD card method, but I believe I'm gonna try to reinstall it with the utility and see what happens...or maybe I shouldn't?

Sep 26, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #1,895 of 2,617
Yeah I use RB all the time anyway, I use stock fw mainly just for transfer music to the sd card when I'm not near an SD adapter, since the USB connection in RB is kinda unreliable, at least for me.
I installed RB for the first time with the SD card method, but I believe I'm gonna try to reinstall it with the utility and see what happens...or maybe I shouldn't?
I wouldn't reinstall unless you need to (although if you want to try it out for peace of mind then why not?). Is there any reason you couldn't reinstall with the SD card method if you needed to?

It's a pity the USB transfer is unreliable. Do you mean it's slow or it sometimes doesn't work at all? Sometimes I have to plug my rockboxed Clip+ into several different USB ports before it shows up as an external drive but I've always assumed that was because my PC's USB ports are crappy (they are).

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #1,896 of 2,617
Hi guys, I've got a little problem with my rockboxed X3 recently: I can't access to stock firmware anymore, it just stays en the xduoo logo and I have to manually reset it with the dedicated button. I don't have any problem accessing to rockbox but I'm a little worried that in the case of anything goes wrong with an RB update or something I couldn't recover my X3, I already tried a clean-full installation of rockbox but it doesn't seem to affect the stock firmware, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance
I had (and have) the exact same problem with my X3. There's a procedure on XVortex's site to reload the original bootloader which solves the problem. I don't remember it now but if you have a problem finding it let me know. Anyway, like I said, it solved my problem, but then it re-occured. I haven't bothered to re-correct it since I have no intention of using the original firmware anyway so the second time it happened I just left it as is. It doesn't effect Rockbox at all and I attribute it to the inherent instability of Xduoo's engineering, on par with the clock bug (incorrect playback speed. The X3 is a fine player with Rockbox, but without it it's subpar which is why I never purchased the X10 which I was originally planning to do until Xduoo became silent with respect to the X3's issues. I'd rather spend my money on a company which shows more respect to its customers. I bought a Cayin N3 instead of the X10 and have no regrets.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #1,897 of 2,617
the second time it happened I just left it as is. It doesn't effect Rockbox at all and I attribute it to the inherent instability of Xduoo's engineering, on par with the clock bug (incorrect playback speed. The X3 is a fine player with Rockbox, but without it it's subpar which is why I never purchased the X10 which I was originally planning to do until Xduoo became silent with respect to the X3's issues. I'd rather spend my money on a company which shows more respect to its customers. I bought a Cayin N3 instead of the X10 and have no regrets.

If it ever happened to me I would not even know. I only boot into rockbox. Like you, I was planning to get the x10 when it became available but it when it became obvious. that they would never implement gapless play I lost interest in it. Now I too have a Cayin N3 and have no regrets. It is everything I had hoped the x10 would be and more.

Sep 27, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #1,898 of 2,617
I had (and have) the exact same problem with my X3. There's a procedure on XVortex's site to reload the original bootloader which solves the problem. I don't remember it now but if you have a problem finding it let me know. Anyway, like I said, it solved my problem, but then it re-occured. I haven't bothered to re-correct it since I have no intention of using the original firmware anyway so the second time it happened I just left it as is. It doesn't effect Rockbox at all and I attribute it to the inherent instability of Xduoo's engineering, on par with the clock bug (incorrect playback speed. The X3 is a fine player with Rockbox, but without it it's subpar which is why I never purchased the X10 which I was originally planning to do until Xduoo became silent with respect to the X3's issues. I'd rather spend my money on a company which shows more respect to its customers. I bought a Cayin N3 instead of the X10 and have no regrets.
Thanks for the answer, I think I'm going to search for the procedure and have it at hand just in case

Sep 27, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #1,899 of 2,617
If it ever happened to me I would not even know. I only boot into rockbox. Like you, I was planning to get the x10 when it became available but it when it became obvious. that they would never implement gapless play I lost interest in it. Now I too have a Cayin N3 and have no regrets. It is everything I had hoped the x10 would be and more.
Now I'm thrilled by that Cayin N3, looks preeetty good and at a steal price for the features it has, but how about the sound quality? is better than the Xduoo X3?

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #1,900 of 2,617
Now I'm thrilled by that Cayin N3, looks preeetty good at a steal price for the features it have, but how about the sound quality? is better than the Xduoo X3?

The N3 has excellent sound quality. It has become my main player.

Sep 27, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #1,901 of 2,617
Now I'm thrilled by that Cayin N3, looks preeetty good and at a steal price for the features it has, but how about the sound quality? is better than the Xduoo X3?
Unfortunately it lacks the X3's killer feature: dual uSD slots. Probably not as big an issue as it was two years ago since prices on 256GB cards are a bit more reasonable, but it's still an issue for me.
As long as it's competently designed it should sound the same as any other player (but shhh! don't tell the folks splashing out on their $3k DAPS).

Sep 27, 2017 at 6:22 PM Post #1,902 of 2,617
Unfortunately it lacks the X3's killer feature: dual uSD slots. Probably not as big an issue as it was two years ago since prices on 256GB cards are a bit more reasonable, but it's still an issue for me.
As long as it's competently designed it should sound the same as any other player (but shhh! don't tell the folks splashing out on their $3k DAPS).

Yes only one slot in the N3. I have a 200 GB card in it as the price/capacity ratio is good on that size. When i received the xDuoo, I put in two 128 GB cards (which are now in my Opus). Flac on all the large cards. Smaller cards with a mix of file types in the xDuoo now.

Does anyone know how many files Rockbox will index for the database? I need to decide how I want to organize my various size cards and daps. Thinking about putting a bunch of old mp3s on the xDuoo. Knowing the limit would help. I know I can always use folder view but with two cards I never would remember what is on which.

Sep 27, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #1,903 of 2,617

Yeah, I am slowly approaching filling up (2) 256GB cards. So until 512GB cards come out, I would not even consider a DAP that only had 1 slot.

You can get 256GB cards for right around $100 now, which is half of what they were at the beginning of this year (January).

Sep 30, 2017 at 2:43 AM Post #1,905 of 2,617

I got the Cayin N3 in the pipeline..and i have the X3 as my main player right now.Please let me know what you think SOUNDWICE is the biggest diffrence between the two..ONLY the sound.

Thanks for reading..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back