Rockbox Xduoo X3
Aug 26, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #1,861 of 2,617
The easiest and safest method is this:

For first time installation follow this steps:
1) Download bootloader (update-to-rockbox-xxx.zip) and rockbox system’s archives (rockbox-full-xxx.zip);
2) Rename update-to-rockbox-xxx.zip to update.zip and write to the root of the micro SD-card without unpacking.
3) Unpack rockbox-full-xxx.zip to the root of the micro SD-card. System folder .rockbox must be placed at the root of this memory card. Card must be formatted to FAT16 or FAT32. Filesystems ExFAT, NTFS, EXT3/4 does not supported!
4) Install this SD- card to the X3 slot number 1;
5) Be sured that your X3 is totally charged. Normally update your player. To do this, in the menu "Setting" select "Upgrade";
6) The process of flashing must to begin. After successful installation Rockbox will start automatically

Rockboxing is independent of which version of the factory firmware you have installed.

Since this is a dual boot set up, you can simply use the slide lock switch to revert to xDuoo O/I and update the factory firmware.
I followed these instructions, but it only boots to stock firmware :frowning2:
It gave me message that it succeeded, but boots to stock regardless of what position lock button is in.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #1,862 of 2,617
I followed these instructions, but it only boots to stock firmware :frowning2:
It gave me message that it succeeded, but boots to stock regardless of what position lock button is in.

Do you have the rockbox folder on the root of your card? I actually have a rockbox folder on both cards and any other cards that I might use in it. It boots from that folder.

or I should say it looks for that folder when it boots

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #1,864 of 2,617
Do you have the rockbox folder on the root of your card? I actually have a rockbox folder on both cards and any other cards that I might use in it. It boots from that folder.

or I should say it looks for that folder when it boots

More specifically, the .rockbox folder. The "." is key.

Aug 26, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #1,865 of 2,617
I do have the .rockbox folder. However, I notice now that the update zip file is not extracted. As I understood the instructions, I was not to extract it, but copy it unzipped to the root.

I also copied one folder of music to the card. It is in its own separate folder, completely separate from the rockbox files. Should I extract the update zip file now that it is on the sd card root? I see nothing in the instructions stating to do so.

Aug 26, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #1,866 of 2,617
I do have the .rockbox folder. However, I notice now that the update zip file is not extracted. As I understood the instructions, I was not to extract it, but copy it unzipped to the root.

I also copied one folder of music to the card. It is in its own separate folder, completely separate from the rockbox files. Should I extract the update zip file now that it is on the sd card root? I see nothing in the instructions stating to do so.

I would extract the rockbox-full-xxxx-yyyy.zip file.

Aug 27, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #1,867 of 2,617
Extracted the update zip file. Now I have an update folder, with a second .rockbox folder within it.

The X3 still boots to original firmware. The rockbox folder is visible, though when I try to look inside them for content, I get message "no file". Don't know if that is because original firmware cannot read them. When I look at on PC, there are files in all the folders.

I tried moving the extracted "update" folder into the original .rockbox folder, but that did not do anything different, still boots to stock.

Other ideas?

Thanks

Edit: I did use the program linked above to format to FAT32 at 4096 bytes per sector.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #1,868 of 2,617
Tried to start from scratch.

Step #2 states to extract update.zip from rockbox.rar, and write it to the root. It then says to 'unpack" rockbox-full to root.

I already had the update.zip downloaded, so I simply copied it to the DS card.

I then extracted the rockbox-full, and pointed it to the SD card to extract it to. This gives me a .rockbox folder, and a zipped file named update.zip on the SD card.

Still no luck.

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #1,869 of 2,617
Tried to start from scratch.

Step #2 states to extract update.zip from rockbox.rar, and write it to the root. It then says to 'unpack" rockbox-full to root.

I already had the update.zip downloaded, so I simply copied it to the DS card.

I then extracted the rockbox-full, and pointed it to the SD card to extract it to. This gives me a .rockbox folder, and a zipped file named update.zip on the SD card.

Still no luck.

Are you following these instructions?

http://xvtx.ru/rockbox/manual.htm

Aug 27, 2017 at 1:36 PM Post #1,870 of 2,617
Yes, for "First time installation". I have not tried "For first time manual installation..."

Thanks

OK - looks like I got it to work. Instead of downloading the update.zip from the website, I downloaded Rockbox.rar, downloaded and installed WINZIP, extracted, and used the update.zip from this rar file.

Now I will try copying music to the card and see what happens, and report back.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #1,871 of 2,617
Success!!

The issue was the update zipped file. When using the one unpacked from the rar file, everything worked perfectly, and I am using Rockbox.

Now time to go donate to the good people that made this possible.

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #1,872 of 2,617
Success!!

The issue was the update zipped file. When using the one unpacked from the rar file, everything worked perfectly, and I am using Rockbox.

Happy you figured it out. It is difficult to help from a distance. I misunderstood and thought you already had the unpacked zip file in the root. I know how tiring and frustrating these things can be. I really need to donate as well. Thanks for the reminder.

Aug 28, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #1,873 of 2,617
Success!!

Glad you got it all sorted out.

BTW, here are a few additional X3-related items you may be interested in:
Enjoy!

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #1,874 of 2,617
Now time to go donate to the good people that made this possible
+1

Also, Slater, we are lucky to have you here helping folks troubleshoot on this thread. I still have not yet gotten around to your screen mod, but still planning to try it. Did you ever build the Pocket Class A? There have been a lot of developments with that amp recently, including a new battery system that can both run and charge from USB. Build one with nothing but Panasonic FR caps and you'll be floored. Paired with the X3 you get a budget giant killer stack with insane detail, dynamics, and bass authority. You'll wonder how you ever enjoyed your music without the extra juice--it's that good.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #1,875 of 2,617
+1

Also, Slater, we are lucky to have you here helping folks troubleshoot on this thread. I still have not yet gotten around to your screen mod, but still planning to try it. Did you ever build the Pocket Class A? There have been a lot of developments with that amp recently, including a new battery system that can both run and charge from USB. Build one with nothing but Panasonic FR caps and you'll be floored. Paired with the X3 you get a budget giant killer stack with insane detail, dynamics, and bass authority. You'll wonder how you ever enjoyed your music without the extra juice--it's that good.

Thanks, that means a lot.

My board is built, but I am still trying to figure out a good case for it. My plan was to use 18650 cells, to get much longer runtimes than the dual 9v batteries everyone uses. Sure, it wouldn't fit in an Altoids tin, but it would only be slightly larger. And having a true 3200-3500mAh of battery power will be sooo worth it. I've been using it with an AC adapter until I can get a proper case where everything fits like I want. I'm likely going to use it as a desktop type setup at work, so pocketability isn't as important (I use a FiiO E12A for that).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back