Rockbox Xduoo X3
Apr 22, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #1,681 of 2,617
They mount them all with the specs facing down for some reason. So to check the capacity you have to peel away the tape, like in this photo:

Yes, I know it's a 2000mAh battery, but they mount all of them face down like that.

As far as the button, it's just a momentary switch. Anything that shunt the terminals together momentarily would work.

The right way to fix it would be to solder a replacement switch in place of the broken one. If you look back a number of pages in this thread, I posted the correct replacement switches. They cost a few cents each.

Thanks for the assisist! My battery seems pretty well glued on so I will probably just let it be.

Apr 22, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #1,682 of 2,617
Thanks for the assisist! My battery seems pretty well glued on so I will probably just let it be.

If you gently heat it with a hair dryer on LOW, it will loosen the double-sided tape and come right off.

Apr 26, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #1,683 of 2,617
For anyone interested, Massdrop has the Samsung 256GB Micro SDXC EVO+ on sale for $129.99.

I've been using this card in my Xduoo X3 for about 2 months now, and it's fully compatible (with FAT32/4k block format of course). I have had absolutely zero issues with my card.

I pair over $200 for mine, so $130 is quite a savings.

Two really nice things about this card is the ridiculous WRITE speeds and a TEN year warranty.

Read speeds are 95Mb/s, and WRITE speeds are 90Mb/s. This is on average 3xs faster write speed than most SDXC cards. Transferring all of the music from (2) 128MB cards took no time at all (and loading new flac albums literally takes a few seconds).

Apr 27, 2017 at 6:41 PM Post #1,685 of 2,617
May 1, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #1,686 of 2,617
Hello all.

Can ask if people can confirm that Rockbox is showing the connected but not charging state icon? Whenever I charge my X3, and while it has not yet reached 100%, it shows the various charge levels. But when it reaches 100%, there is no 'power plug' icon or similar.

I have mainly been using two themes: Hi-Fi, and another one of my own. I use the Sansa Clip+ Rockbox simulator to test them. In the simulator, all the various charge states work and show, but they do not once installed into the X3.

May 1, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #1,687 of 2,617
Yeah, mine behaves like that.

I just charge it until it looks like it's all the way full, then remove it (or else leave it on the charge all night to guarantee that it's fully charged). Never had any issues doing it either way.

May 3, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #1,688 of 2,617
Thanks for replying slaterlovesspam. My X3 charges fine too. I guess this Xduoo X3 Rockbox implementation might have a small bug detecting this 'connected but not charging' state; unless the hardware doesn't have the capability to tell Rockbox when it is charging or not.

Another small bug (and this I think happens to all Rockbox versions) that I´ve noticed is when I select Browse Theme Files, found at Rockbox - Settings - Theme Settings, it simply shows as themes as the heading. At first, I thought it was left out off the translation to English, but I tried a several other languages and it still shows as themes. Odd that.

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 4:11 AM Post #1,690 of 2,617
Technically, the more processing that has to be done by the CPU, the more battery is used. And the larger the files, the more disk (sd card) access and RAM swapping that has to happen. But we're talking negligible differences here - tenths of a % per battery charge. You might see +/- 5 minutes of battery difference per total charge cycle. But scientifically speaking, there IS a 'difference'.

The SCREEN is what hogs the battery, so setting the Rockbox setting that allows you to fast forward/reverse, skip tracks, play/pause, and adjust the volume all without activating the screen will get you WAY better battery life than ever worrying about FLAC vs MP3. Depending on how much you use the screen in a given session, you can save an extra HOUR of battery time or more! Turning down the brightness to the lowest usable setting will also extend battery life a noticeable amount.

Last edited:
May 10, 2017 at 4:16 AM Post #1,691 of 2,617
Technically, the more processing that has to be done by the CPU, the more battery is used. And the larger the files, the more disk (sd card) access and RAM swapping that has to happen. But we're talking negligible differences here - tenths of a % per battery charge. You might see +/- 5 minutes of battery difference per total charge cycle. But scientifically speaking, there IS a 'difference'.

The SCREEN is what hogs the battery, so setting the Rockbox setting that allows you to fast forward/reverse, skip tracks, play/pause, and adjust the volume all without activating the screen will get you WAY better battery life than ever worrying about FLAC vs MP3. Depending on how much you use the screen in a given session, you can save an extra HOUR of battery time or more! Turning down the brightness to the lowest usable setting will also extend battery life a noticeable amount.
Excellent! Thanks for the tips.

May 10, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #1,692 of 2,617
Guys just got my X3 today and the first thing I did was to RockBox it but, however, it's been flashing for almost 30 mins now.
The screen just says "Updating... Don't Power Off!"
Is this normal when installing RockBox or is it a bad sign that something went wrong?
I'm concerned that my X3 may run out of battery before the process is finished although out of the box it was fully charged.

FYI:
I prepared the card with a Mac and had set it up to see hidden files.
The card was freshly formatted and was not put into the X3 prior to preparation and installation.
My mSD is class 10 though it's from a Chinese brand (I got it as a bundle with my X3)

Last edited:
May 13, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #1,693 of 2,617
I checked my battery (RB 20170324).
From 100% to 60-70% - 8-9 h
another 1-2h - 35-40%
Last 35-40% goes down in about 30 minutes.

The battery curve needs calibration of something.
Gonna update RB today and check progress.
I'm finding the same thing on the 170403 software - if anything the battery curves are worse than they used to be. Very slow movement of the battery gauge for a few hours, then it gets to about an indicated 40% (approximately) and the battery drops off a cliff and shuts down after a further 20 minutes or so. It's the same with both of my X3 players, purchased several months apart. I think the original calibration of the battery curve was better than the current version - could it be reverted back?

Also I'm noticing hat 170403 seems less stable in the given conditions - if my player shuts down automatically after a period of idle-time, sometimes when I turn it back on it freezes at the 160316 Rockbox bootloader screen and is unresponsive to any button press except the RESET button. 170317 seemed much more stable in this respect.

May 20, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #1,694 of 2,617
I'd like to raise a request.

I played around with the Rockbox version provided and discovered that I cannot actually modify the bootloader, only the rockbox version.
As described in the manual, one can choose between the legacy firmware and rockbox. Now, as most of the time I carry around my player in my pocket, it usually always switches on (as the LOCK-switch is nolonger a LOCK-switch but rather a way of choosing which firmware to boot) and while in my pocket a big sequence of different buttons are unintentionally pressed which results in a completely messed-up (in terms of badly-configured) Rockbox environment. (Most of the time it actually also freezes.)
Now, as I cannot change the dual-boot key-combination myself, as not having access to the bootloader, is it possible to provide another version with the LOCK-switch enabled even when turned off? (To me any other key-combination would be fine, even disabled dual-boot would be fine to me...)

I hope I'm not asking too much. I could imagine, however, that this request was already a possible thought of some users.

Without doubt, I'm a total fan of Rockbox on my Xduoo X3 and bought my Xduoo X3 for solely that reason. Keep the awesome work up! :)

Best,
Raving

May 23, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #1,695 of 2,617
I have to do this same thing because after adding the 256GB card my playlists get so large it causes the X3 to crash (even when modifying the 'Max Playlist' value).

How I do it is to create 1 playlist (using Rockbox) of all songs on SD1. Then create another playlist (using Rockbox) of all songs on SD2. Then simply edit the files in Notepad (the files are simple text files). Select everything in the files and paste them into 1 single file (I call ALLMusic). Or you could select everything in the SD2 list and append it to the SD1 file. Either method works great for me and only take a few seconds.
You mind giving me a step by step here? I tried on my own but could not create the playlists of SD2.
Is there a way to add both of these SD cards to the Database and then build the playlist from there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back