Rockbox Xduoo X3
May 24, 2017 at 8:15 PM Post #1,696 of 2,617
.... while in my pocket a big sequence of different buttons are unintentionally pressed which results in a completely messed-up (in terms of badly-configured) Rockbox environment. (Most of the time it actually also freezes.)

You can probably email XVortex and ask, but I'm assuming the bootloader is relatively set in stone. IIRC, all Rockbox targets with dual-boot rely on the hold switch to choose, which makes it very handy, especially if something goes wrong with one firmware or the other, you'll still be able to boot into something and troubleshoot.

I'm not sure how Rockbox gets messed up, though--with the hold switch on, the Xduoo will boot into OFW, not Rockbox. That should have no impact on your Rockbox settings. If it does so because you've given up on engaging the hold switch, I'd urge you to use the switch anyway, just to keep your Rockbox configuration intact.

In the mean time, I'd recommend finding (or making) a cheap case. That will usually make the power button more difficult to press accidentally. I would also recommend saving your Rockbox configuration settings once you have them as you like them--that way you can restore your configuration easily. I'm sorry I can't provide more meaningful help.

May 24, 2017 at 11:26 PM Post #1,697 of 2,617
In the mean time, I'd recommend finding (or making) a cheap case. That will usually make the power button more difficult to press accidentally. I would also recommend saving your Rockbox configuration settings once you have them as you like them--that way you can restore your configuration easily. I'm sorry I can't provide more meaningful help.

Agreed - the case I made solved all of the issues with accidental button presses, because the buttons are all recessed. Best $3 I ever spent.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/rockbox-xduoo-x3.803844/page-93#post-13317169

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 2:16 PM Post #1,698 of 2,617
A new release of rockbox on the main site in 4 years. Ver. 3.14 (yeah, like pi) Lots of improvements. (On some devices it DOUBLES battery life. Yeah, you read that correctly.) Could it be used on the xduoo x3?

Jun 5, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #1,703 of 2,617
Isn't there any possible way of modifying the bootloader myself in order to change the dualboot-key-combination?

A case well, is not very comfortabel at all to me. The player is huge already for carrying around 24/7.

And apart from that a case seems utterly unnecessary to me. It could just be that the lock-switch is actually a lock-switch. :D

Can I modify it in some way?

Jun 5, 2017 at 4:54 PM Post #1,704 of 2,617
Question for those who updated their xduoo x3 with 3.14 version of rockbox: Any noticeable improvements? Speed while copying files or battery runtime?

Jun 5, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #1,705 of 2,617
... It could just be that the lock-switch is actually a lock-switch. :D

Can I modify it in some way?

Not sure about modifying the boot loader, but I use the lock switch all the time with Rockbox. it functions as a lock switch AND controls which OS you boot into.
While I'm walking I lock the X3 so as to not inadvertently skip forward, pause etc. (all things I've done with the X3 in a pocket and not locked).
when I power off I make sure I'm in the right position to power up into Rockbox.

Am I missing something here?

Jun 5, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #1,706 of 2,617
Not sure about modifying the boot loader, but I use the lock switch all the time with Rockbox. it functions as a lock switch AND controls which OS you boot into.
While I'm walking I lock the X3 so as to not inadvertently skip forward, pause etc. (all things I've done with the X3 in a pocket and not locked).
when I power off I make sure I'm in the right position to power up into Rockbox.

Am I missing something here?

Well, I carry it around most of the times, also when turned off. Then however it boots up into Rockbox while in my pocket and messes up the configuration and drains battery as well (and sometimes freezes)... :/

Jun 7, 2017 at 6:31 AM Post #1,707 of 2,617
Dear XVortex,

My dualboot X3 run normally with Rockbox but cannot return to the XDuuo firmware (frozen during booting to original fw)...

How can I make the dual boot work again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back