Rockbox Xduoo X3
Apr 9, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #1,652 of 2,617
Luckily, I've had my board out 5-6 times and never had an issue. But others have broken off the buttons. I found replacement buttons, so we're waiting to hear back as to how easily they can be switched out. Here's the discussion if you're interested (with links to the replacement buttons): http://www.head-fi.org/t/803844/rockbox-xduoo-x3/1545

I'm out of the country at the moment. End of season snowboard trip. Hopefully the buttons will arrive this week though so I'll be able to replace them when I get back next week.

Apr 11, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #1,653 of 2,617
  I'm getting an issue with Rockbox.  It will play perfectly for a while, today it was great for about 90 minutes and then I thought the battery had run out as it stopped suddenly.  It was still on, but the player was back in the root folder of the album I was listening to, played the track again and the same thing happened at the same point in the track.  

Booted into the "normal" mode and the player's stock software played the track perfectly.  Back to Rockbox and the same thing happened at the same place in the track.   This happened on a few tracks from a few albums, but not every track.

Came home tested it again and the track played through in Rockbox.

The only difference I can see is that the player had been off for about 10 mins before I tested it again.  Anyone else getting a similar issue?

I am looking to get this player. BUT for the purposes of your question, I have the same issue with one track, and only one, in my Rockboxed Clip+. Cannot get the player to pass the Xminute and Xsecond on that one track. Something is wrong with that track, I guess, because it plays well everywhere else. Tried to delete it, re-transfer it into the microSD card and nothing changes. Plays and stops at the same place. I blame it on the track.

Apr 11, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #1,655 of 2,617
I am looking to get this player. BUT for the purposes of your question, I have the same issue with one track, and only one, in my Rockboxed Clip+. Cannot get the player to pass the Xminute and Xsecond on that one track. Something is wrong with that track, I guess, because it plays well everywhere else. Tried to delete it, re-transfer it into the microSD card and nothing changes. Plays and stops at the same place. I blame it on the track.

Do the tracks in question have abnormally long track names?

Apr 12, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #1,656 of 2,617
  I'm getting an issue with Rockbox.  It will play perfectly for a while, today it was great for about 90 minutes and then I thought the battery had run out as it stopped suddenly.  It was still on, but the player was back in the root folder of the album I was listening to, played the track again and the same thing happened at the same point in the track.  

Booted into the "normal" mode and the player's stock software played the track perfectly.  Back to Rockbox and the same thing happened at the same place in the track.   This happened on a few tracks from a few albums, but not every track.

Came home tested it again and the track played through in Rockbox.

The only difference I can see is that the player had been off for about 10 mins before I tested it again.  Anyone else getting a similar issue?

Not exactly the same issue, but in the past I had some tracks which would not play consistently.  What I did was to remove all ID3 tags from the files that had a problem.  Afterwards those files would play fine, then I started to fill in the ID3 tags again, this was a while ago so I can't remember which tag or value was causing the issue, but all is ok now.

Apr 16, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #1,658 of 2,617
OK. ...update on the buttons.

Managed to remove the old ones without much problem. Did one at a time.

So I removed the first button then soldered on its replacement.

Worked perfectly.

Tested, and I could then turn the volume down with the button and everything was good.

Removed the second button, soldered it on.

Switched the player back on.....none of the other buttons work.

Power button works, hold switch works, and presumably both volume buttons now work. ...but I can't navigate the player at all or press play.

I'm guessing I must have accidentally shorted or blown something inside.

No idea where but I've found the solution. ..eBay....80 quid for a new unit.

I'd say I've got some decent experience with a soldering iron and have fixed many other electronic devices before, but this one beat me.

Long story short. ...if you're going to try the screen replacement,don't risk taking this thing apart. ..it's extremely fragile inside.

Anyone know if it can be bought cheaper than 80 anywhere? I'm not using Amazon though.

Apr 16, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #1,659 of 2,617
OK. ...update on the buttons.

Managed to remove the old ones without much problem. Did one at a time.

So I removed the first button then soldered on its replacement.

Worked perfectly.

Tested, and I could then turn the volume down with the button and everything was good.

Removed the second button, soldered it on.

Switched the player back on.....none of the other buttons work.

Power button works, hold switch works, and presumably both volume buttons now work. ...but I can't navigate the player at all or press play.

I'm guessing I must have accidentally shorted or blown something inside.

No idea where but I've found the solution. ..eBay....80 quid for a new unit.

I'd say I've got some decent experience with a soldering iron and have fixed many other electronic devices before, but this one beat me.

Long story short. ...if you're going to try the screen replacement,don't risk taking this thing apart. ..it's extremely fragile inside.

Anyone know if it can be bought cheaper than 80 anywhere? I'm not using Amazon though.

XDUOO X3 HIFI MP3 Music Player Lossless Music Player with HD OLED Screen Support APE FLAC ALAC WAV WMA OGG MP3 DEC19
http://s.aliexpress.com/rM3em6f2
(from AliExpress Android)

Dirt cheap.
Or you can wait for a gearbest deal,. I got it for about 57 quid.

Apr 16, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #1,660 of 2,617
cheers. that's a great price. hopefully don't get stung on import taxes though!

Now I'm torn though....since I'm having to buy a new player, I'm wondering if I should think about a different one....seen the Fiio X1ii for £100 online....only 1 micro sd slot...but apparently supports the new 256gb cards, so I could upgrade my card and have everything on 1.

anyone got any opinions on Xduoo X3 vs Fiio X1ii vs Fiio m3?

m3 is the cheapest at £50, xduoo for approx. £60, or the X1ii for £100?

Apr 17, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #1,661 of 2,617
.... Anyone know if it can be bought cheaper than 80 anywhere? I'm not using Amazon though.

You may want to reconsider, the 'silver' version can be purchased from Amazon UK for £67.99 (and you can have it tomorrow with 'Prime') https://is.gd/9NpboQ

The Far East purchases command uncertainty of delivery, delivery long wait and a possible Customs & Excise tax... I would not consider FiiO M3 as it is not in the same league (maybe just a choice for brisk outdoors activities).

Apr 17, 2017 at 5:02 AM Post #1,662 of 2,617
You may want to reconsider, the 'silver' version can be purchased from Amazon UK for £67.99 (and you can have it tomorrow with 'Prime') https://is.gd/9NpboQ

The Far East purchases command uncertainty of delivery, delivery long wait and a possible Customs & Excise tax... I would not consider FiiO M3 as it is not in the same league (maybe just a choice for brisk outdoors activities).

thanks.

I have amazon prime, but refuse to use amazon at all anymore. the last 3 times i've tried to order from them, i gt told "yes, it's out for delivery, it's on a van" and then it never shows up and i get told, "it will be there first thing tomorrow", the process repeats the next day and I get told "it will be delivered by 9pm"...this repeats for a couple of days before they eventually admit that they've lost it. it then takes another 3-5 days to get the refund.

i'm thinking of getting fiio x1 2nd gen. roughly same battery life, nice colour screen to show album art...only 1 card slot though.

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #1,663 of 2,617

thanks.

I have amazon prime, but refuse to use amazon at all anymore. the last 3 times i've tried to order from them, i gt told "yes, it's out for delivery, it's on a van" and then it never shows up and i get told, "it will be there first thing tomorrow", the process repeats the next day and I get told "it will be delivered by 9pm"...this repeats for a couple of days before they eventually admit that they've lost it. it then takes another 3-5 days to get the refund.

i'm thinking of getting fiio x1 2nd gen. roughly same battery life, nice colour screen to show album art...only 1 card slot though.

...which most likely has nothing to do with Amazon, but somebody stealing your stuff. I'd file a complaint with Amazon, list those cases and tell them that for the annual "Prime membership" you expect "Prime" treatment. I bet a fiver they will extend your Prime subscription by three months without charge.

Cheers.

Apr 17, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #1,664 of 2,617
...which most likely has nothing to do with Amazon, but somebody stealing your stuff. I'd file a complaint with Amazon, list those cases and tell them that for the annual "Prime membership" you expect "Prime" treatment. I bet a fiver they will extend your Prime subscription by three months without charge.

Cheers.

I didn't even have to ask them. They apologised that the things weren't delivered and added a month to my sub each time. ....but wouldn't accept that the items were being nicked....but couldn't tell me where they were.

Truely awful company. What good is an extra month of service if you're unable to trust that things will even be delivered?

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #1,665 of 2,617
  Today's 0b7bf80-170403:
- AAC bitstream format files (*.aac) support.
- Stkov dircache PANIC's has been addressed.

Your rockbox ports are a lifesaver. But there is one issue I'd like to point out.
There is a noticable decrease in audio quality on the rb port. Stock firmware sounds more dynamic and cleaner. Also there is the issue of manually increasing the volume to 0db gain when used with line-out. The gritty sound becomes more apparent when I l/o to an amp. It would be excellent if you could look into these matters if you haven't already started working on a fix :wink: TIA vortex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back