Rockbox Xduoo X3
Dec 14, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #1,144 of 2,617
damn, forgot about the downsampling... I only play 24 bit music, so Rockbox should be a no go for me. Stock also is, since I definitely hear that songs are played slower. Also gapless is something that's missed. Have to abandon X3 for sure.
Any alternatives by any chance?
anyone know of an alternative for the xDuoo X3 that has gapless and 24bit?

Dec 15, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #1,145 of 2,617
anyone know of an alternative for the xDuoo X3 that has gapless and 24bit?

You could look at the Fiio X players, also the Cowon Plenue series.  Some of the Sony DAPs promote hi-res but I can't remember if they have gapless or not.

Of course, it depends on your budget, if you want something similar price to Xduoo X3, i.e. sub $100, then I think your choice may be limited to Fiio X1 and X1-II (for the latter, I read that gapless should be implemented in a future firmware).

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #1,147 of 2,617
Hey all,

Please forgive me if someone knows the answer, but I can not get my RockBoxed X3 to turn on anymore.  I was burning in a pair of new earbuds and I must have let the battery drain down too much.  Now no matter what I do, I can not get the X3 to turn on.  I have tried starting in in stock mode, RockBox mode and with the reset button pushed.  All this while it is plugged into a power source.

Any help would be appreciated.

Nevermind, it magically fixed itself without me doing anything.  Not sure what happened.  The battery was not dead, it had about 35% still on it.  Weird, never had this happen before.

--

Dec 18, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #1,148 of 2,617
Thanks to Amazon prime my X3 will be delivered today. I've got my card formated correctly and the rockbox files on it ready to go. I've read every page of this thread so I feel prepared. This will be my first experience with rockbox so it should be interesting.

Dec 18, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #1,149 of 2,617
Thank you, thank you to the Rockbox developers and to the contributors in this thread!  I was looking for a DAP with 2 card slots that was inexpensive enough to take to work without worrying about it being lost or stolen.  I was very underwhelmed with the X3 initially, but with Rockbox it is a completely different player!

Dec 18, 2016 at 8:06 PM Post #1,150 of 2,617
So my install went smooth without any hiccups.  Copied my .rockbox file over to my second card and loaded it with some music.  It took a second to figure out how to get to the second card, but I found it.  I'm using file browsing since I just listen to albums.  I have no clue what it sounded like stock since I just rockboxed it straight out of the box.  I did this on purpose so as not to mess with my hearing because I know that some have went back to the stock fw due the stock sounding better in their opinion.  For my purposes I wanted gapless playbackand I didn't want have to deal with the pitch issue (whether I could hear it or not) and rockbox does this and much more.  I'll tinker with the settings the more I play with it, but so far so good.  I just wanted a cheap beater DAP with good storage capabilities to put a bunch of mp3's on to leave at work and the X3 fit that bill.  I have other DAPs for my flac files that I'd rather not leave there.

Dec 19, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #1,153 of 2,617
Today I used my X3 at work. I was expecting 8 hours of battery life but only got 6. I'm only using mp3s and from reading this thread and the actual X3 thread I'm not the only one who is experiencing this. I've got the 1500mAh battery according to the Amazon product description. Is this just an issue because of rockbox, or just an X3 problem in general? I'm still playing with settings for the display so it's not on so long. The manual for rockbox isn't the easiest to navigate considering it's not specific to the X3.

Dec 19, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #1,155 of 2,617
Today I used my X3 at work. I was expecting 8 hours of battery life but only got 6. I'm only using mp3s and from reading this thread and the actual X3 thread I'm not the only one who is experiencing this. I've got the 1500mAh battery according to the Amazon product description. Is this just an issue because of rockbox, or just an X3 problem in general? I'm still playing with settings for the display so it's not on so long. The manual for rockbox isn't the easiest to navigate considering it's not specific to the X3.

I get 9h with mine, this is with playing music about 2h per day.  I don't know exactly which battery I have because I don't have the correct screwdriver at home to open the back of the case.  I remember that someone did a battery test without pressing buttons from start to finish and the runtime was 12h, so I think that having the display on and pressing buttons does use up some juice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back